soon2batexan

Vaccinations for Vancouver Medical

4 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm seeking my fellow VJers thoughts on this one. I had a TD shot in April, which I understand is one of the required vaccinations for the medical if you're age 19-26. While I was double checking everything this morning in advance of my medical exam and interview next week, I noticed on my vaccination record that I had TD rather than Tdap, which includes the Adacel shot.

Is this going to be an issue? I still have time to get a separate vaccine for Adacel, but would prefer to save the $77 charged by the travel clinic if I can. I checked with Woking Medical, and Laura told me that since I had a TD shot I cannot have another for 2 years (incl Tdap) and I should be fine. I just want to make sure. I'd rather pay the money to have the shot if it means passing my medical.

Does anyone have an answer on this one? I'm inclined to take Laura @ Woking's word on this one since they deal with this stuff all the time (Alberta Health Services gave me their opinion, but they're not familiar with US immigration processes and I know that when something is required for this process, it's usually for a reason).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If Laura @ Woking said you're fine, then you're fine. As a clinic employee, she's the authoritative representative on what you have to do to pass the medical.

Now it may be, several months from now when you go to do AOS, that the local civil surgeon in the US doing your I-693 transcription may want another vaccine of some kind, but we can burn that bridge when we get to it :).

If Laura syays you're good to go, and no other issues arise in the examination, then you're good to go for the Vancouver, medical-wise.

BTW, if you (or anyone else reading this and doing a medical and interview in Vancouver) haven't booked your hotel in Vancouver yet, the Burrard Inn (www.burrardinn.com) is reasonably clean, very inexpensive (50-60 per night for a budget room) and immediately next door to teh Woking medical clinic. It's worth looking into. It's real nice to be only 200 feet from the medical clinic's doors when you have to be there for 5:45 am! :D

edit:

their rates may have gone up a smidge since the Olympics, but they're still substantially cheaper than anywhere comparable in downtown Vancouver, and as conveniently located as it's possible to be!

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Thanks for the info. Laura said that since I had TD, I can't get Tdap for another 2 years (which makes sense since Tdap contains vaccinations against tetanus/diptheria). But do I need to get a separate pertussis shot?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the info. Laura said that since I had TD, I can't get Tdap for another 2 years (which makes sense since Tdap contains vaccinations against tetanus/diptheria). But do I need to get a separate pertussis shot?

I have no idea. but email Laura that question. She'll know, or be able to find out [the answer involves detailed parsing of CDC immunization regulations]. Then let us know.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.