ashenflowers

Medical Redo for RFE, cause THEY LOST IT

18 posts in this topic

Ok, so as many of you know, I had to get my medical redone because THEY LOST IT. Yes I am angry. lol Anyhoo.... So, I get the RFE paperwork on July 6, call some places, and am able to make an appointment for July 29th. I had to wait 3 wks because the Dr. was going on vacation (another Dr. I called was out for a month, and the others didn't have the vaccine I needed boosted). :angry:

So then July 29th, I'm literally all ready to go except to do my hair and brush my teeth, and the phone rings. They have to reschedule because the Dr. called in sick. :blink: SO, they reschedule for today, Aug 2nd. Have I mentioned my RFE deadline is Aug 12th and the closer that date comes the more I freak out?

Anyhoo, so I go into there today, and:

a) there's no parking so I had to go around the block and park on some side residential street

b) I thought I was going to be late, and I hate that, so I'm freaking out

c) they can't find me in their system (!!)

d) I have to fill out all these irrelevant generic med. clinic forms about things like household income, medical history (I guess that's relevant), if I have insurance (not relevant because it doesn't cover these anyway)

e) they have an outdated I-693 form from February (which I have since checked and is still being accepted so thank god), but I had printed off the July edition of the form, but still had to convince beg the nurse to use the July form.. she had tried to just say it's the same form anyway, and I say 'I realize that but they've updated it so can we use this one' and she asks why and I say 'because they're strict about these things and if they don't accept it I will get deported'... hahah which is an exaggeration, but actually, not entirely an exaggeration... :wacko: ... and I had hurriedly tried to start filling out the I-693 in the waiting room but didn't have a black pen, and forgot that it has to be in black ink so it was in blue, so they wouldn't accept my first page, and used theirs anyways, so I think I have a combination of Feb and July editions of the I693. SIGH

f) the Dr. and I can't decide if the RFE papers should go IN the sealed envelope with the stuff or just stapled on top of the sealed envelope... we decide on stapled on top.

g) I have to get a TB test because the x-ray isn't enough and I don't remember if I've ever had a TB skin test (and no proof anyway), so I can't even get my medical papers returned to me today because...

h) I have to go BACK to the clinic on Wednesday, to confirm that I do not have TB, and if my skin test shows negative or positive, they can then use my x-ray results from Toronto's medical to confirm... THEN I should be able to get the medical results and mail the documents finally... nearly a week after I thought I'd have them, and 3 weeks later than I'd have preferred to have actually had them. And people questioned me for being worried about only have a month to deal with this when that seems like all the time in the world. THIS IS WHY I WORRY!!!

i) my arm got jabbed 3 times... once for blood to be drawn, once for my 2nd chicken pox vaccine dose (which I didn't do in Toronto because the wait interval between doses wasn't long enough, and they just requested a waiver), and once for the TB test thing. :(

j) I want my mommy.

In conclusion, this blows. And does anyone think that just stapling the RFE paperwork to the outside of the sealed envelope is ok? On the RFE it says "RETURN THIS NOTICE ON TOP OF THE REQUESTED INFORMATION LISTED ON THE ATTACHED SHEET". And the attached sheet requires an I-693. Does on top mean like... on top of the I-693, or on top of the sealed envelope?!? ugh.

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It does totally blow. I just want to offer my sympathy.

Honestly, this whole process is just so much worse and so much less efficient than any outsider would ever guess.

C.

Ok, so as many of you know, I had to get my medical redone because THEY LOST IT. Yes I am angry. lol Anyhoo.... So, I get the RFE paperwork on July 6, call some places, and am able to make an appointment for July 29th. I had to wait 3 wks because the Dr. was going on vacation (another Dr. I called was out for a month, and the others didn't have the vaccine I needed boosted). :angry:

So then July 29th, I'm literally all ready to go except to do my hair and brush my teeth, and the phone rings. They have to reschedule because the Dr. called in sick. :blink: SO, they reschedule for today, Aug 2nd. Have I mentioned my RFE deadline is Aug 12th and the closer that date comes the more I freak out?

a) there's no parking so I had to go around the block and park on some side residential street

d) I have to fill out all these irrelevant generic med. clinic forms about things like household income, medical history (I guess that's relevant), if I have insurance (not relevant because it doesn't cover these anyway)

e) they have an outdated I-693 form from February (which I have since checked and is still being accepted so thank god), but I had printed off the July edition of the form, but still had to convince beg the nurse to use the July form.. she had tried to just say it's the same form anyway, and I say 'I realize that but they've updated it so can we use this one' and she asks why and I say 'because they're strict about these things and if they don't accept it I will get deported'... hahah which is an exaggeration, but actually, not entirely an exaggeration... :wacko: ... and I had hurriedly tried to start filling out the I-693 in the waiting room but didn't have a black pen, and forgot that it has to be in black ink so it was in blue, so they wouldn't accept my first page, and used theirs anyways, so I think I have a combination of Feb and July editions of the I693. SIGH

f) the Dr. and I can't decide if the RFE papers should go IN the sealed envelope with the stuff or just stapled on top of the sealed envelope... we decide on stapled on top.

g) I have to get a TB test because the x-ray isn't enough and I don't remember if I've ever had a TB skin test (and no proof anyway), so I can't even get my medical papers returned to me today because...

h) I have to go BACK to the clinic on Wednesday, to confirm that I do not have TB, and if my skin test shows negative or positive, they can then use my x-ray results from Toronto's medical to confirm... THEN I should be able to get the medical results and mail the documents finally... nearly a week after I thought I'd have them, and 3 weeks later than I'd have preferred to have actually had them. And people questioned me for being worried about only have a month to deal with this when that seems like all the time in the world. THIS IS WHY I WORRY!!!

i) my arm got jabbed 3 times... once for blood to be drawn, once for my 2nd chicken pox vaccine dose (which I didn't do in Toronto because the wait interval between doses wasn't long enough, and they just requested a waiver), and once for the TB test thing. :(

j) I want my mommy.

In conclusion, this blows. And does anyone think that just stapling the RFE paperwork to the outside of the sealed envelope is ok? On the RFE it says "RETURN THIS NOTICE ON TOP OF THE REQUESTED INFORMATION LISTED ON THE ATTACHED SHEET". And the attached sheet requires an I-693. Does on top mean like... on top of the I-693, or on top of the sealed envelope?!? ugh.

It does totally blow. I just want to offer my sympathy.

Honestly, this whole process is just so much worse and so much less efficient than any outsider would ever guess.

C.

Thanks. You're so right. All those things I listed are just little things but all together add up to be just being like '#######... did that just happen?'. lol And feeling pretty anxious and not confident about results...

I also got back to the apt and some guy in a pick up truck was blocking my parking spot. :bonk: He wasn't in the truck either... but just as I'd had enough waiting and was about to write a note on his truck he came out and moved it for me. lol

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This process is more time consuming and frustrating and overwhelming and heart-ache inducing than any "outsider" could possibly imagine!

I haven't even gotten to NoA2 yet, and feel so much frustration and anxiety over the whole process - and that's just because I'm convinced somehow it won't go smoothly.... I can only imagine your frustration to experience that RFE business!! Especially all because of the fact that someone LOST your Medical!!!

I hope things start to look up for you!!!!

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh boy! Ashen, you deserve some kind of immigration gold medal for having to deal with this #######! What an ordeal, geez.

Filed: Other Timeline

Ashen-I'm sorry to hear about your situation and sorry you had to get the medical re-done just because they lost your paperwork.....And yes, you have every right to be angry here....

You shouldn't have had to do the medical again, just because of their errors...

Did they actually admit on their RFE that they were the ones that lost it? If they did, then you are not to blame here...

Frankly, if I were in this situation, I would have written back (as a response to the RFE) letter to them, telling them to 'search again' for the lost medical...maybe then it will somehow 'appear' when they search again..

Or better yet, I would have contacted my local congressman/senator/etc. and have them look into things...

How the heck does someone lose something as important as a medical form?

Lol..That goes to show how incompentent the USCIS is, I suppose...unfortunate, really....

Actually, I worried about the same thing (about them losing paperwork and stuff) when I sent in my paperwork too..

Which is why I made sure that I had a copy of everything when sending stuff in to the USCIS, in case they do lose stuff and/or require it again, such as during an interview....

And which is one of the reasons that I'm not applying for a US passport...Can't trust the DHS and USPS with my original naturalization certificate (lol..and those costs a lot of money and time to replace...)

I advise you and everyone else too...To make photocopies of everything....Just in case something like this happens..

Hope this doesn't happen to you again....

And hope that your case will go more quickly now that you have re-done the medical and have responded to the RFE

And this time around, send them SEVERAL copies of your new medical, so they can't claim that they lost it again either..lol...

Btw...If I were you, as well, I would keep receipts, bills, and other paperwork regarding the extra difficulty you had to go through in getting the medical redone...and send that to them too, and/or show it to them during the interview...lol..maybe it can help you case there too..

Good luck in the rest of your journey....Hope you get this medical situation sorted out too..

Ant

j) I want my mommy.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The potential problem here that I see...

From reading how the medical goes, the only medical form accepted USCIS are the ones that are enclosed in an envelope. I recall my envelope was both stamped and sealed with a label to ensure that the contents would not be tampered with prior to reaching USCIS' hands. As such, the only person (from what I understand) who can provide such secure documentation is the civil surgeon. So, to ensure that one had usable backups, it would be the civil surgeon's responsibility to provide a duplicate sealed envelope, as well as the "open copy" that I have read they are supposed to give us (as immigrants).

This certainly would take a bit more effort on the civil surgeon's part - presuming photocopies are unacceptable by USCIS - but it certainly would help in the situation of RFEs, especially since the I-693 is valid for 12 months after completion.

I read elsewhere that USCIS started taking feedback both from employees and others; can't recall if it was people who already went through/are going through USCIS processes. I think there was a whole load of insight that they missed out.

Back to topic though!

Ashen, I hope that they require nothing else from you for RFEs. Take a bit of time to relax now; you seem to have hurdled the problem. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you frickign serious??? ....is every place attached to uscis just complete morons? ugh. well as to the RFE paper, attaching it to the outside of the sealed envelope is what they want, this way when they open the package ( i assume your putting it all together in another evenlope?) they will see right away it's an RFE and time sensitive....hopefully...xfingers...

HWDWm6.png

Thanks everyone!

As Tick Tock mentioned, they only accept a sealed envelope, as sealed by the Dr./Civil Surgeon. I received no copies from Toronto's office of the original medical (other than my vaccination record and x-ray results), and was not able to make my own copy of course due to the sealed envelope thing (however I will be able to get one from the CS this time). I am pretty diligent at keeping copies of everything, so it really bothers me that the one thing they don't have is the one thing that was not possible for me to make copies of. I have kept EVERYTHING, and have two files full of stupid immigration papers. lol. Even if I had been able to get a copy of my Toronto medical, I would've had to go to a CS to get it transcribed to the I693 anyways, because the RFE specifically requested it on that form this time. So really, it wouldn't have saved much hassle.

cdn_gewels also had their medical lost and redid theirs.. and really, when you have a medical done and turn in the paperwork as required, and they don't end up with it for processing, then it's pretty clear that USCIS lost it at their end. They would NEVER admit that though, and it wouldn't matter to them who's fault it was anyway. I wanted to involve a congressman, but also didn't think it would do much good, and also had only one month to respond. I REALLY did not think that I would get the response I needed within that time frame, and didn't want to jeopardize my application, so I decided it best to just go ahead and get the medical redone without putting up a stink. I can't wait for this to be over. lol

On the plus side, I think it really SHOULD go quickly once they receive the response.

Also, Kimbear, thank you for mentioning about attaching the RFE to the outside of the envelope. :) I'm glad that's what we decided.

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Timeline

Did you ask them to PAY for the medical redo since it's their problem they lost it?!?!

Edited by FireKari

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Did you ask them to PAY for the medical redo since it's their problem they lost it?!?!

LOL!

Let's think about the USCIS for a moment. Do you really think they'd pay for it... :no:

ROC Timeline:

AOS Timeline:

K-1 Timeline:

Sheesh!! I do hope that FINALLY everything will go smooth for you! I agree with Huggles! You deserve a immigration gold medal!

As the saying goes in the South... "Bless your heart" Ashen! :)

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Btw....Not sure if this is of any help or not...

But yes, one can ask the civil surgeon for a copy of the medical and x-ray results (I think it's the I-693 worksheet supplement, from what I remember....it's been so long ago...lol...)....

They put one copy in the sealed envelope for the USCIS, in which they open during the AOS interview....

And the civil surgeon can give you an extra copy.....(well, at least the one that I went to did.....and to this day, I still have a copy of it...lol...what a laugh...)

As well, ask for, keep track of, and make extra photocopies of any other medical records and/or important information too...

So my point is...Don't be afraid to ask for extra copies of the medical and/or other important paperwork and documents that one is going to submit to the USCIS...

FWIW....Simply asking the civil surgeon to make a photocopy can save you a lot of hassle later on down the road in having to deal with the USCIS in case the lose/mis-place stuff....(such as in Ashen's case here...)

Ashen-I would still file a complaint with the USCIS and/or congressman/senator about this matter....and make sure you keep all the documents and paperwork about your additional medical too....really it's their fault, not yours here....

Good luck in your situation for a speedy AOS and hope you get this sorted out too....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

lol! no...

Sorry to hear this, AShen... that blows. what a freaking ordeal, eh? Hope it all works out for you.

:D

LOL!

Let's think about the USCIS for a moment. Do you really think they'd pay for it... :no:

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Oh I'd be asking them anyways, more like demanding it.

Since it was their fault.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.