Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Obtaining OLD/Expired Court Records in California

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Colombia

I need quickly to obtain court records that are over 20 years old in California.

I had 3 DUI's in the last 80's, and my petion came back asking for this evidence.

My DUI's were in San Diego, and a different county (Orange).

When I called the San Diego courthouse, they said that these were misdeameanors, and over 10 years old, and that they had NO records (purged).

I *think* my next step is to do the California DOJ Livescan (going today to submit this).

I *believe* from that I will get back my arrest / court records of any arrest/conviction in California?

Has anybody had to do this - do you know if this is all that is required for submission?

I don't understand how else I could obtain court records when they are telling me that they don't exist anymore?

FYI, DUI's were in late 80's, San Diego, Newport Beach, Santa Ana..

Appreciate any advice.


Here is a post of my original issue:

Hello, newbie here - so I apologize on the basic level of my questions..

I submitted a K1 petition in May 2010, California resident, to the California Service Center.

On the applicaiton, I was truthful and marked yes to the criminal conviction question.

I had 3 DUI's in the late 80's, and NO convictions ever since.

I had tried to pull my records, but could not find anything on commercial criminal record searches for myself.

I explained that I could not find my records, the background of the DUI's, etc on the application.

I presumed that the next thing I would receive would be a Request for Evidence but was not sure as I thought that even though I could not find my records surely the Dept of Homeland Security would pull my records?

Anyway, yesterday i received a blue form stating I797E - Notice of Action "Return this blue processing coversheet on top of your reponse to the intent to deny" and have been given until August 19 to submit requested information. The white letter attached goes into "on part C#2" etc about the IMBRA act.

Is this processing flow normal? Wouldn't I of received a request for information, rather than an immediate Intent to Deny?

Am I correct in that my next step should be to immediately obtain certified copies of all court records pertaining to the aforementioned charges and attached those to some sort of reply? Is there a form that I reply with, or do I just make up a letter?

Are certified court records the same as arrest records?

I'm not sure where to get these - my DUI's were in San Diego and Orange County - there is no central place to obtain?

I apologize for all the questions - very confused - they certainly do not make it very clear on my next steps.

Final question - are 3 DUI's in the 80's and not even a traffic ticket since then a valid basis to deny K1's? My fiancee is well aware of what happened 20 years ago.. no violence involved. How worried should I be? Should i obtain legal representation?

Thank you..

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...