Rafa & Sara

Federal Police - Criminal Records - Brazil

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Today I went to a local branch of the Brazilian Federal Police (DPF - Niterói - RJ), and after filling out the form to request my criminal records from the Federal Police, I advised the Federal Agent (totally unpolite person, without manners) that in the day I would get my criminal records done and signed by the Delegado of Federal Police, I would need to "Reconhecer Firma" of his/her signature, like I've been doing with the other state criminal records from previous places I lived. The Federal Agent told me that they would not do it, or seems not even tell me which cartório I should go to make the "Reconhecimento de Firma" of the Delegado's signature, saying their documents are valid in all National Territory and there's not need for it.

Question 1: Anyone else that got his/her federal criminal records in Rio de Janeiro had any problems doing this?

Question 2: What is needed to validate the internet one? The one where we print directly from the website?

Question 3: Does notarized mean in cartório words "Reconhecer Firma?" Because so far, on the SSP from Santa Catarina I've done that, and in Rio de Janeiro at Felix Pacheco (SSP-RJ) the lady told me after I receive the criminal records printed I should "Reconhecer Firma" of the Delegado that would sign the document.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1- Back in 2006 I got mine from Rio (the one on the other side of where we get passaports done). It came notarized already. Maybe that's what he meant when he said you wouldn't need to get it notarized.

The one from the IFP was handed back to me with a little paper with the directions to the Cartório where I needed to get it notarized at. I had no problems getting it notarized.

2- I never went the internet route, so not sure if and how it can get validated.

3- Yes. Notarized = Reconhecer Firma.

Edited by Ladylethal

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Today I went to a local branch of the Brazilian Federal Police (DPF - Niterói - RJ), and after filling out the form to request my criminal records from the Federal Police, I advised the Federal Agent (totally unpolite person, without manners) that in the day I would get my criminal records done and signed by the Delegado of Federal Police, I would need to "Reconhecer Firma" of his/her signature, like I've been doing with the other state criminal records from previous places I lived. The Federal Agent told me that they would not do it, or seems not even tell me which cartório I should go to make the "Reconhecimento de Firma" of the Delegado's signature, saying their documents are valid in all National Territory and there's not need for it.

Question 1: Anyone else that got his/her federal criminal records in Rio de Janeiro had any problems doing this?

Question 2: What is needed to validate the internet one? The one where we print directly from the website?

Question 3: Does notarized mean in cartório words "Reconhecer Firma?" Because so far, on the SSP from Santa Catarina I've done that, and in Rio de Janeiro at Felix Pacheco (SSP-RJ) the lady told me after I receive the criminal records printed I should "Reconhecer Firma" of the Delegado that would sign the document.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

The best thing to do is email the Consulate this question. Then keep the email with the answer, print it and take it to the interview with you, just in case.

I emailed them the same question and the answer was "No, no need to reconhecer firma" (my interview was in November/2009). I did what I just told you (took the printed email with me) but I had no issues with that. They just looked at the certificate and gave it back to me at the end of the interview.

The Consulate email is ImmigrationRio@state.gov

Like I said, email them and have a copy of the email with you. They are pretty quick at answering emails.

Good luck!

Lu

Oh, and for you to validate a certificate, there is a link on the website for that. The website will generate a number. Print the certificate AND the page with the number. The Consulate wants both.

Edited by Lu & Keith

"Pedis e obtereis"

OUR TIMELINE

05/28/2009 - I-129F Sent

06/02/2009 - NOA1

06/04/2009 - Check cashed

09/11/2009 - Touched!

09/11/2009 - NOA2 approved!!

09/14/2009 - Touched

09/16/2009 - NVC received

09/18/2009 - NVC left

09/22/2009 - Consulate received

10/02/2009 - Pkt 4 received

10/29/2009 - Medical - PASSED!!

11/10/2009 - Interview - APPROVED!

11/16/2009 - Visa received!

11/24/2009 - Arrived at the USA

12/08/2009 - Got married!!

Timeline

Thank you very much Lu,

I already emailed the US Consulate telling the problem to validate the document, now I'm just awaiting them to answer me when the Consulate opens. Also I printed both pages from www.dpf.gov.br, one with the criminal records and another with the validation page.

I'll make sure to save and print their email with their answer.

Again, thanks a lot!

Rafael and Sara

Timeline

1- Back in 2006 I got mine from Rio (the one on the other side of where we get passaports done). It came notarized already. Maybe that's what he meant when he said you wouldn't need to get it notarized.

The one from the IFP was handed back to me with a little paper with the directions to the Cartório where I needed to get it notarized at. I had no problems getting it notarized.

2- I never went the internet route, so not sure if and how it can get validated.

3- Yes. Notarized = Reconhecer Firma.

1, Ok that seems better! I'll get mine at the Superintendência of Federal Police in Rio de Janeiro looks like, at Praça Mauá. So I hope it comes already notarized like yours! And yes, an officer from IFP when knew I was doing that for an U.S. Visa told me by phone in advance that I should notarize their document (much better than the Federal Agent).

3, Thanks a bunch! Me and my fiance been trying to discover what Notarized means properly for days, haha. Due some other topics, and images people show at posts, I was starting to believe it was indeed Reconhecer Firma, now that you said I'm sure. Thanks!!

Again, thank you!!!

Rafael and Sara

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.