pras_padmini

More police clearance issues

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I feel like I'm so close to being able to get my wife into the US, but these police clearances in India are turning out to be headache. Did anyone mail in a police clearance from just the commissioner's office, not the passport office? My wife got the police clearance certificate from the Bangalore police commissioner's office (not the local police station). She said it looked very official, and just getting that was an incredible hassle. She went every day for a week, and they kept telling her to come back the next day. She finally obtained it and mailed it via speed post, and I don't know if we really need to jump through hoops to repeat the same process with the passport office.

Isn't a police clearance a police clearance? How does it matter whether it is from the passport office, the commissioner's office, or the police station? My wife got her passport in January/December and the NVC started processing our case around mid June. I think there's something about if the passport is less than 6 months old, then only 1 clearance certificate is required.

I would like to hear feedback from others who have obtained police clearances in India.

Thanks.

Timeline

Are you applying for a K3 visa or a CR1 - most likely if you are sending this stuff to the NVC you are doing a CR1 - but your profile says K3.

Anyhow, you will likely have to get a Police Clearance from the RPO office in your region. There is a form or two you use to fill this out and you send it in. In Delhi there is a special passport office that you go to in order to get this PCC from the RPO office. It is not the same one you go to when you get a fresh passport.

You have to submit your passport in original to get the PCC.

When you get it back you will get a document that says "Police Clearance Certificate" and it will be stamped by the Ministry of External Affairs and also the Superintendent of the Region Passport Office.

It will say something like "There is no adverse action against XXXXXX that would render her ineligble to travel to the USA" It will list some other details taken from the passport itself.

The person who brought the PCC from the RPO office to my wife told her that it was the certificate you need to show whenever going to the USA for immigration - so I am pretty sure that one is correct.

CR-1 Visa Was Approved :-)

Entry Date to USA: 2/3/2011

12-10-2012 - Sent off I-751 packet visa USPS

I751 Was approved - 10 Year GC was granted

N-400 Progress

4/10/2014: Package Mailed
4/11/2014: Package Received
4/14/2014: Notice Date
x/x/2014: Biometrics appointment

Timeline

Well I applied for both, but because of the new rule, now only the CR1 is being processed.

What I would like to know is if the police clearance certificate from the police commissioner's office is good enough. As long as we submit an official police clearance certificate, does it really have to be from the passport office? Also, I am not sure -- maybe the police commissioner obtained the certificate from the passport office, so it's the same one.

I'm curious how long it takes to obtain a clearance certificate from the passport office. Is it quicker than getting it from the police? I am sure it varies from city to city in India.

Thanks.

Timeline

I feel like I'm so close to being able to get my wife into the US, but these police clearances in India are turning out to be headache. Did anyone mail in a police clearance from just the commissioner's office, not the passport office? My wife got the police clearance certificate from the Bangalore police commissioner's office (not the local police station). She said it looked very official, and just getting that was an incredible hassle. She went every day for a week, and they kept telling her to come back the next day. She finally obtained it and mailed it via speed post, and I don't know if we really need to jump through hoops to repeat the same process with the passport office.

Isn't a police clearance a police clearance? How does it matter whether it is from the passport office, the commissioner's office, or the police station? My wife got her passport in January/December and the NVC started processing our case around mid June. I think there's something about if the passport is less than 6 months old, then only 1 clearance certificate is required.

I would like to hear feedback from others who have obtained police clearances in India.

Thanks.

Yep, it sure is a big hassle obtaining PCC's in India, especially from Gujarat. That's where my wife is from. They also gave her hard time for no reason. But we are so glad it's over.

Ok, first, yes your wife does need to obtain both Local/District PCC and Regional/Passport PCC.

I believe her passport is more than 6 months old by now so I think it's a good idea to get the District/Local PCC as well.

Talking about PCC from commissioner's office, I think that is the Regional/Passport PCC. To be sure you can tell your wife to call the commissioner's office and confirm.

It should not take more than 3-5 days to obtain the District/Local PCC since your wife already has the PCC from commissioner's office.

Good luck with everything. :thumbs:

Post the updates.

CR-1/NVC
November 16, 2009: Sign-in Failed!!
November 16, 2009: December interviews already scheduled. Operator told me to wait for a possible January interview date. Call back in the 2nd week of December
November 30, 2009: Been trying to call NVC but line busy since late after noon. Finally, got email appointment letter from NVC with the Interview date of January 19, 2010. Yeppe Alhamdulillah>
December 24, 2009: Medical Done and report recieved the same day.
January 11, 2010: Medical submitted at VFS. They asked for: Copy of Packet 3, Appointment letter, and Passport. They told her to take a copy of I-864 and the documents submitted with it, at the time of interview with other proof of relationship documents.
January 19, 2010: VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 21, 2010: Visa recieved in mail (Package included passport with visa stamped, sealed big brown envelop to be submitted at POE immigration at the airport, and instructions to apply for SS Card)

USA
February 07, 2010: POE Chicago --> Very easy, within 45 minutes
March 02, 2010: SS Card recieved in mail. Welcome letter recieved in mail as well
March 13, 2010: GC Recieved in mail

January 29, 2015: N-400 Application submitted

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I can vouch for Bangalore. There is no real hassle in gettying the PCCs..but u do need to make an effort. Nothing comes free. You need two PCCs. 1 - from commisioners office and 2. from RPO (passport office)

As for commissioners office, just go the office in infantry road.. go to the single window counter and tell them PCC. you will need to pay 200 at mysore bank which is some 10min walk away...and come back with the chellan receipt. Oncve you submit the PCC form(a simple form) along with the chellan receipt and passport copy, they will give u an acknowledgment receipt and a date when u can collect it. You will get a call from local police station in 1-2-3 days. Go there and finish the formaility. Come back to the commisioners office in 2-3 days after that//inquire// they will probably have it. else, come back on the original date thats there in the 'acknolwdgement' receipt. it will be there.

As for RPO PCC, see the info at http://passport.gov.in/cpv/Forms.htm and then personally go therte in the morning one day. It shudnt take too long either. Its also hassle-free

Edited by JinyAndJony

Timeline

Some countries - like Canada - are willing to accept just just one police clearance from India from the intending immigrant (either the Passport PCC or the District PCC).

However in everything I have read for USA immigration of an Indian National (both on the Embassy website and in the experience of all VJers here) it appears you must provide both PCCs as part of the process.

CR-1 Visa Was Approved :-)

Entry Date to USA: 2/3/2011

12-10-2012 - Sent off I-751 packet visa USPS

I751 Was approved - 10 Year GC was granted

N-400 Progress

4/10/2014: Package Mailed
4/11/2014: Package Received
4/14/2014: Notice Date
x/x/2014: Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.