I AM NOT THAT GUY

Can A Filipina Really Be Taught How to Drive? A Car?

68 posts in this topic

:thumbs:

FWIW, Jinky was driving a stick multi-cab long before we ever met. In fact, she's convinced her driving abilities are superior to mine.

So how do you/she compare the wild west school of traffic rules there compared to the black and white rules of the road state side? Its apples and oranges. :whistle:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

The way this topic is phrased it makes it sounds like an entire country of women are driving challenged. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "my wife" vs. generalizing?

Uhhhhhhh, no.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

If your wife is like mine, then she never even learned to ride a bicycle. There is some hand-eye coordination that has to be learned. I think that is what is taking so long. She has to learn what she is looking at, as she stares out the windshield, and correlate that to what the vehicle's position actually is in space-time, and then to remember whether to turn left, or right, accelerate, or apply the brake. If we ever get past that part, I think she will be okay.

Oh no! I am having flashbacks! I think our first lesson begins in an hour. Wish us luck!

I managed to drive us home safe and sound babe (no freeway for the meantime). So you should relax now and go back to killing pirates out there on Facebook. :lol: I just got nervous as soon as I finished parking in the driveway. Boy, my legs were shaking and a lot of butterflies fluttering in my stomach. Thank you for being very patient with me. Want me to drive down to Santa Rosa tomorrow and pick up Glenn? :lol: Whew! That wasn't bad at all.:lol:

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

So how do you/she compare the wild west school of traffic rules there compared to the black and white rules of the road state side? Its apples and oranges. :whistle:

She transitioned pretty smoothly - driving on the freeways in Southern California within weeks of first arriving here. Driving skills are not gender biased.

Filed: Timeline

She transitioned pretty smoothly - driving on the freeways in Southern California within weeks of first arriving here. Driving skills are not gender biased.

True. It took three tries for me to pass my road test the first time out.

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

So, we decided long ago, that Marie should learn how to drive. We bought a car a year and a half ago, just for her to drive. Off and on again, I took her out for lessons, until it became too much for me. My poor heart! :(

I decided it was time for a professional to take over. She decided to let the issue go away. :whistle:

That was last summer. Now, this summer, when Marie brought up the subject, I said, go ahead, and find a driving instructor. She found one that met our criteria: Still breathing and willing to drive to Forestville. :lol:

Last Friday, he shows up and gives her the first lesson. So far, so good. When he returns, he says, "This is going to take a while. I think I understand what you must have gone through." :P

So, we make an appointment for another lesson the following Monday. Monday morning he calls in sick. We make another appointment for Saturday. The school calls Friday evening and cancels. :(

So, last night, we decided I will just have to try and teach her again myself. :help:

Comments? Any ideas? Since I will soon be falling off the wagon, any interesting cocktail recipes developed since I quit serious drinking?

much easier to learn in automatic car.. my husband teach me how to drive too. he let me drove in back roads (not to much traffic) after 1 hr he let me drive in traffic area -.- im afraid lol..

and then after that he let me drove the car once in a while becoz its winter he told just wait this summer.. and then after 5 times practicing driving in roads he told me do the parallel park -.- BS in my place we dont really do parallel lol. i practice like 10 times before i took the driving exam... and i passed hahahaha score 95^^...

USAR

Oct.8 2009 - arrived in USA (CR1 visa)

Nov. 2009 -- GC for 2 yrs received

Jan. 2010 -- DL issued

May. 2011 --- graduated for my bachelor degree

Sept. 1, 2011 --- Driver License Renewed ( till 2017)

NO removal condition

Citizenship

Oct. 2011-------- Filed N400

Jan. 2012 ------ Biometrics and Interviewed at same time

Jan. 17 2012 ---- Sworn In

much easier to learn in automatic car.. my husband teach me how to drive too. he let me drove in back roads (not to much traffic) after 1 hr he let me drive in traffic area -.- im afraid lol..

and then after that he let me drove the car once in a while becoz its winter he told just wait this summer.. and then after 5 times practicing driving in roads he told me do the parallel park -.- BS in my place we dont really do parallel lol. i practice like 10 times before i took the driving exam... and i passed hahahaha score 95^^...

Congrats! :thumbs:

I think Marie will get another lesson or two today. :unsure:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The title of this thread sounds insulting to all filipinas...as if you are saying or you sounded that filipinas are not capable to learn or can't be taught how to drive. If your wife is a filipina and has the difficulty to drive, don't generalize that filipinas are like that. I would rather suggest to rephrase this title of this threas to Can "MY WIFE"... instead of Can "A FILIPINA". Please be sensitive. (To the moderators: What do you think about this?)

I am a Filipina. I learned to drive and got my driver's license here in the US thru my hubby who taught me how to drive. We did not hire any professional driving instructor.

Filipinas are not excluded on the ability to drive a car or be taught to drive. Learning how to drive can't only be attributed to the learner's capacity to learn but to the teacher's/ instructor's skills to teach.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

The title of this thread sounds insulting to all filipinas...as if you are saying or you sounded that filipinas are not capable to learn or can't be taught how to drive. If your wife is a filipina and has the difficulty to drive, don't generalize that filipinas are like that. I would rather suggest to rephrase this title of this threas to Can "MY WIFE"... instead of Can "A FILIPINA". Please be sensitive. (To the moderators: What do you think about this?)

I am a Filipina. I learned to drive and got my driver's license here in the US thru my hubby who taught me how to drive. We did not hire any professional driving instructor.

Filipinas are not excluded on the ability to drive a car or be taught to drive. Learning how to drive can't only be attributed to the learner's capacity to learn but to the teacher's/ instructor's skills to teach.

Sounds like Dave has a true calling as a driving instructor. :lol:

Timeline

YES, I did! :P

I had my driver's licence from the Philippines and was glad California allows foreign/visitors over 18 years old with a valid driver license from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California driver license as long as their home state license is valid.

I remember, when my older son had a school program and the parking area was FULL! We were asked to park on nearby CITY PARK for more space. I saw there was a just enough space for me to park near the school, so I asked the police if I can just park there instead coz I was pregnant with my second son. He told me if you know how to do parallel park then it's yours. :D As a Filipina who was taught how to drive, I made it! :P The Police went to me and said, I did a good job! He told me, not most AMERICANs know how to do that! :rofl:

"Our life & material possesions are just lent to us. We are all passers by. We bring nothing when we die,but leave behind the LOVE we have given & the goodness we have done."

Timeline

EXACTLY!!!!

Maybe those Kanos looking for Filipina should look for one who has DRIVING SKILLS as one of the qualities they are looking for! :whistle:

"Our life & material possesions are just lent to us. We are all passers by. We bring nothing when we die,but leave behind the LOVE we have given & the goodness we have done."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.