6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello everyone! I'm filling out the DS-230 and came across a question I have a doubt on. First of all, I'm petioning for my husband who lives in Mexico, I am a US citizen. This is my question: When my husband goes for his interview, our two children and I are not going to accompany my husband. We are already residing in the USA. So does that mean we don't have to fill out a DS-230 for each one of us? Also, one of the documents I have to send in along with DS-230 is my husbands passport, but do I have to translate it to english? I know I have to translate our marriage certificate and his birth certificate, but wasn't sure if I had to translate the passport, since it's just common sense information. Please respond!!

Hi Littlelady7891,

Your profile doesn't say whether you filed from the US or from Mexico. Either way, I'm assuming you're talking about what is needed at the consular level. If you go to the website for the consulate in Ciudad Juarez (just google it), you will be able to find Packets 3 and 4 under Immigrant Visas. You actually don't need the birth certificate translated if it's in Spanish and definitely not the passport. I have no idea what NVC will require, but I know what the consulate needs. They only need to be translated for the consulate if it's in another language besides English or Spanish. The marriage certificate usually has to be translated with the petition, so it should have already been done. You only need a DS-230 for the person going for their interview. Also, make sure you send evidence of the relationship and check over the guides here to see what they recommend you bring to the interview.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Timeline

Thank you! I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. I filed from the US. I'm at the part where I already sent in the $70 AOS fee, but in the process of sending in the AOS. I also paid the IV Application Processing Fee and and I'm in the process of gathering all my documents together to send it all in. I still have not received my husband's interview date because I have not sent in the AOS and the IV Applicant Processing Documents. I think his interview will be in Ciudad Juarez. Some of the documents they are asking for in originals are my husband's birth certificate as well as a photocopy of the biographic data page of his mexican passport and our marriage certificate which are all in spanish, along with translations and photocopies of each. They are asking for them now to send to the NVC and they are also going to ask for them again at the time of the interview, from what I have read on their "interview preparation" link on their website. You said if they are in spanish, there is no need to transalte them to english, is that right? I had sent them with transalations to english when I first sent in the I-130 petition and don't know why they are asking for them again?? (they are also asking for photos at this time, and at the time of the interview, which I had also sent in at the beginning)??? If you have gone through this already, could you please let me know what you had to take for your interview? Also, is it necessary to transalate mexican passport to english?? Not sure! Any answers would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!!

Timeline

Thank you! I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. I filed from the US. I'm at the part where I already sent in the $70 AOS fee, but in the process of sending in the AOS. I also paid the $400 IV Application Processing Fee and and I'm in the process of gathering all my documents together to send it all in. I still have not received my husband's interview date because I have not sent in the AOS or the IV Applicant Processing Documents. I think his interview will be in Ciudad Juarez. Some of the documents NVC is asking for at this time, in originals, are my husband's birth certificate as well as a photocopy of the biographic data page of his mexican passport and our marriage certificate which are all in spanish, along with translations and photocopies of each. You said if they are in spanish, there is no need to transalte them to english for the consulate, is that right? So what I'm thinking is that NVC requires translations, while the consulate does not, am I right or wrong? I had sent them with translations to english when I first sent in the I-130 petition to the chicago lockbox and don't know why NVC is asking for them again?? (NVC is also asking for photos at this time, and I think the consulate will be asking for more at the time of the interview, which I had also sent in at the beginning)??? If you have gone through this already, could you please let me know what you had to take for your interview at the consulate? Also, is it necessary to transalate mexican passport to english for the NVC?? Seems to me, they are more picky than the consulate. I know I don't need to translate mex passport for the consulate. Any answers would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!!

Sorry, I don't know what is needed for NVC as I did DCF so we skipped that. The information I gave you only relates to what the consulate expects. Hopefully someone else can verify that information for you or you could also call them to check.

April 19, 2010 - NOA1 (documents received at Mexico City Embassy)

April 20, 2010 - NOA2 (received notice April 28, 2010, mailed April 27)

May 3, 2010 - Packet 3 sent (received May 27, 2010)

May 9, 2010 - I emailed them using the inquiry form asking for my case number

May 17, 2010 - received case number and link to Packet 3 by email

May 18, 2010 - sent Packet 3 to Ciudad Juarez

May 28, 2010 - called Ciudad Juarez to see if we had an appointment yet, they said wait 6-8 weeks :(

May 30, 2010 - I return to the US

June 8, 2010 - called and found out appointment date

June 16, 2010 - received Packet 4

July 6, 2010 - interview - Approved!

July 7, 2010 - pick up visa at DHL and POE to activate

July 29, 2010 - welcome letter received

August 1, 2010 - my husband comes home to me

August 13, 2010 - received Green Card

September 28, 2010 - never received Social Security Card, had to apply for it, arrived Sept. 28

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.