bobby_kvisa

Police Certificate - Dates of Residence

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

On the NVC website it says the PCC from the police station should "Cover the entire period of the applicant’s residence in that area" (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html#records)

I am not sure how to interpret this line above, but when we received the PCC from the police station in New Delhi - it makes no specific mention of dates of residence. It does mention some other things but it is mainly a report that says there is no adverse record or reason to prevent travel for my wife.

The police station we got it from is used to these types of requests - and they understand it is necessary for travel to the USA.

Is it a potential problem not to have any mention of the dates of residence within in the actual police issued PCC? We did not provide any detailed requests to the police station because they were experienced in providing these documents to others.

I just want to check with others on this point - any help is appreciated.

CR-1 Visa Was Approved :-)

Entry Date to USA: 2/3/2011

12-10-2012 - Sent off I-751 packet visa USPS

I751 Was approved - 10 Year GC was granted

N-400 Progress

4/10/2014: Package Mailed
4/11/2014: Package Received
4/14/2014: Notice Date
x/x/2014: Biometrics appointment

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hi!

I dont know answer to your question but since you have recieved your PCC, can you tell me if you had to provide any letter to the Police to ask them for the PCC or you just go and fill up a form and apply?

How many days will it take to acquire a PCC?

Do they also take your passport when they accept the form that you filled for your PCC application?

How many days do they take to provide the PCC?

Did you get the PCC from your local police station or from your regional passport office?

Is it necessary for my spouse to obtain a PCC even though my spouse has just acquired the passport in less then 4 months?

Please inform.

Thanks..

Timeline

kapad:

You have to fill out an application to get the PCC from the RPO office. For this you have to fill out the following form: http://passport.gov.in/pms/Police%20Clearance%20Certificate.htm

There is a form called the Personal Particulars Form

Most people say it takes 3-4 weeks or longer to get the PCC. We had the help of an agent and it only took us 5 days.

You have to supply your passport in ORIGINAL in order to get the PCC along with the application. The reason is they will place a stamp in the passport that is part of the final PCC you receive.

You receive back from the RPO your passport in ORIGINAL, a Stamp inside the passport clearing you for immigration to the USA, and a certificate clearing you for immigration to the USA.

I got my PCC from the RPO office in New Delhi, but I am still working on getting a PCC from my local district police office.

Based on your VJ timeline, I have a feeling that by the time you get the interview most definitely the passport will be close to or older than 6 months. Plus if you do not get the PCC now you may have a problem getting it later. All phases the applicant has to do (Medical, VFS visit, Interview) require the passport in ORIGINAL, so if you wait till later to submit for the PCC then you may have a difficult situation.

The way I view it is that if you go to the interview and they DO ask you for those PCCs, then you will not be awarded the visa until you present them. This does not mean you will be asked for PCCs for certain, but it might be wise to at least inquire how long it will take to aqcuire these documents in your city. Everything depends on your Embassy, your city, your RPO office and if you are using an agent or not.

N-400 Progress

Timeline

Thanks for the info.

Now some one told my spouse that the passport even if it is given to the Regional passport office, they will send it to the Crime branch office of Mumbai to get that stamp which is OK, just that it will take more time. Since there are no set rules or guidlines I understand that what ever happens in Delhi may not happen in Mumbai or other way.

But I appreciate your info, it helps a lot.

So with out getting the PCC, I should not send the documents of DS 230 to NVC? Else they will RFE me?

Some people also say that with out the Letter from NVC and the reason for the need for PCC, some times they will not even accept an application for PCC.

I think it is all in Gods hands which person we meet and who will accept the case.

Timeline

Your NOA2 notice might be enough to give you permission to apply for the PCC. Indians make lots of mistakes when referring to things, so if they say they need a reason, the NOA2 might actually be the reason or need they are referring to.

I have not seen my wife's stamp in her passport, but I am pretty sure it says "Superintendent, Regional Passport Office".

Yeah it would probably be best to send all documents at once together to the NVC - the DS230 along with the PCCs and Birth Certificates, etc.

N-400 Progress

Timeline

Thanks for the reply. I understand your point.

Now if I send the original PCC and Birth certificate of my spouse to NVC here in USA, when and where will they return those documents? Will it remain safe? The birth certificate is old and not in good shape and so worried.

Now when I pay the fees for DS 230 and AOS fees which is like 400+70 or so, is there any other fees that I or my spouse have to pay in USA or in India. I know for getting the medical check there is a fee but is there any other fee during the Visa interview of my spouse? If so how much is it in Rupees or Dollars?

Please inform.

Thanks for your help.

Timeline

Those original documents are supposed to remain safe. They will be sent to the NVC and they will forward all those documents to the embassy after your NVC case is complete. You will see those documents again on the day of the interview at the embassy.

You should make photocopies and digital scans of whatever you send to the NVC.

Also the NVC is a tiny bit disorganized and I have heard from users on this forum reporting the NVC has lost documents. It should not happen, but to be extra safe, I plan to send my documents to them using a courier with tracking (like Fedex) and also to get small sticky notes and stick my case number to the front and the back of every document I submit to NVC.

With regards to payments I am not 100% sure. On the day of the interview you get fingerprinted, and it is possible you have to pay for that on the day of the interview. You should check with someone else about this - but I plan to take a few hundred cash with me in case something comes up at the interview day. Also you are right you have to pay about 5,000-6,000 Rs for medical (delhi prices) and you will have to pay 394 Rs to the VFS office before the interview for courier services.

N-400 Progress

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.