Tim and Erin

Application might be at Montreal Embassy

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We got our NOA2 on June 10. My interview will be in Montreal. Tim hasn't called yet to see if the application has reached NVC. I'm just wondering what are the chances it's already in Montreal? I've heard that I can contact Montreal by email to see if it's there. There was a case number with the NOA2 letter that Tim received, starting with "MTL." Would that be the number I need when emailing Montreal? Anybody got that email address by the way?

I was visiting Tim for the summer but had to return a few weeks ago for my sister's funeral. I'd like to resume my visit to the States if my interview isn't coming up too soon. No sense going down there then have to turn around and come back for the interview. What kind of a wait am I looking at if the application is sitting in Montreal?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Erin.

It is very possible that your application has made it's way to Montreal. You can try to contact them via e-mail by putting your MTL case number on the subject line. Unfortunately, Montreal is very slow at responding to e-mails and often doesn't respond at all, and they don't take phone calls. You can either call NVC to see if they have sent your case off to Montreal, or you can call the Department of State (DOS) for case updates. They would be able to tell you where your paperwork is.

Montreal will be sending you your P3 with forms to complete and send back. This can take a few weeks to be sent out and received, as any mail coming in or out of Montreal is rather slow. After you fill out the forms and send them back, you'll be put in line for an interview. That will likely take anywhere from 2-5 months. Unfortunately your interview will likely be several months from now.

Montreal's E-mail: Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Timeline

If I (beneficiary) called NVC, would they even give me any info? Or does the petitioner have to call? Same with Dept. of State? And where would I find the phone number for DOS anyway?

Since I don't know for certain when my interview date is, it's going to be difficult to decide what my return date will be when I book my flight. Does anyone have any experience with crossing the border to visit a spouse and perhaps having an open date for their return? I imagine the border officers might frown on something like that. I'm hoping they'll even let me cross so soon after my last visit. But I'm wondering if they will take into consideration the fact that my last visit was cut short by a family emergency.

Of course I'd cross with a copy of NOA2 and other related paperwork, and a letter from my boss stating a back to work date.

I just KNOW I'll be spending another winter in Canada, and away from Tim...waiting for that darned interview...but I suppose all of us here have lots of experience with waiting, huh? :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When we were going through the process I called DOS a few times and they had no problems talking to me and giving me information. I never tried calling NVC but I can't imagine that it would be any different. The number for DOS is 202-663-1225.

Keep in mind that there will be a few things you'll need to have done from within Canada before your interview takes place. You will get your P3 in the mail at your Canadian address, and then need to complete those forms and mail them back. You will also need to go and get a police check done (if you haven't already) in person, in Canada. And then there is the issue of the medical that will need to be done sometime between receiving your P3 and the interview. You need to complete it at least a few days before the scheduled interview, as it takes a while to get the results. You'll either need to wait and do these things before you leave, or return early to have these things done. Also, your interview letter will be sent to your Canadian address, so make sure someone is checking your mail regularly to let you know if it has arrived.

Crossing the border with an open return date is a really bad idea. Having a fiance in the US may already raise a few eyebrows, and if you do not have a set date for return with a return flight, that is going to raise even more suspicions. Of course this decision is completely up to you.

You'd be able to get more specific advice from other Canadians who have done the same thing (visiting during this state of the process), and a better idea of how long Montreal is presently taking, in the Canada regional forum. Perhaps you can post this in the Canada forum? Or maybe a moderator would move it for you.

Good luck! :)

Timeline

Thanks for the info, and DOS phone number. I still haven't decided yet when to book a flight. (Yes, it will be a return booking). I suppose the first step is for me to get a better idea exactly where the application is sitting, therefore a rough idea where we are in the process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.