jsap

Custody Papers Question

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I've recently married someone here in the US, petitioned her and got the approval for permanent residency. She is now a permanent resident. She also has two children back in her home country as well. So I petitioned I-130 for both children.

After I had submitted form DS-230 for both my step children I received a document from NVC requesting the following:

"Please submit appropriate custody documentation in support of the Immigrant Visa Petition for Alien

Relative. The adoptive parent and/or petitioner must provide:

1. A certified copy of the adoption decree;

2. The legal custody decree; if custody occurred before the adoption;

3. A statement showing dates and places where child resided with the parents; and

4. If the child was adopted while aged 16 or 17 years, evidence that the child was adopted together

with, or subsequent to the adoption of, a natural sibling under age 16 by the same adoptive parent(s)."

How do I get the the documentation above when my step children are overseas? Also it looks like they're asking for adoption paper which is not our situation.

Please help.

thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, Please see the topic I posted as " No consent letter from bio father".

I guess NVC wants a consent letter from your step-child's biological parent to let the child to immigrate to US.

If you can get it, then everything will be OK.

But if you can't get it, you need to face to this difficulties.

NVC wants a consent letter with nortarised and a copy of photo ID,

even if they're a non custodial parent (remaining right), NVC still wants a permission from them for a child.

You must know it's a sole custody or a joint custody.

If it were a joint custody, it's difficult, you must get a permission from him or a permission from the court to let the child to immigrate to US.

You also has to be careful if ex has a visitation right. because it will be more difficult.

I am still learning about this issue, if you get any useful information, please let me know, because we'll have the interview at the embassy someday and they'll ask us about same things again.

I am still waiting for the results for the documents we submitted instead of a consent letter. They said it will take 6-8 weeks to know the results!!.....

Please wish us luck.

Thank you for reading, I wish you Good Luck!!!

Clione

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.