10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This is in regards to other Canadians. How long does it take to get your visa?

Could I apply for my IR-1 visa and stay in the u.s. while I wait for my interview date?

01/15/2005 - Met at school

07/01/2007 - Engaged

11/08/2007 - Kingston our first child was born

06/22/2008 - Married

12/17/2009 - Trinity our second child was born

07/22/2010 - sent off our I-130

07/27/2010 - I-130 Received at USCIS Lockbox

08/08/2010 - NOA 1

11/09/2010 - updated

11/02/2010 - moved from CSC to TSC

11/02/2010 - updated

11/03/2010 - updated

11/24/2010- transfered from TSC to USCIS office

11/29/2010- updated

11/30/2010- updated

02/11/2010- updated

02/25/2011- APPROVED!!!!!

NVC

03/14/2011- case# assigned

03/16/2011- filled out and submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

03/20/2011- I-864 (AOS) bill invoiced and paid

03/23/2011- I-864 (AOS) bill showed as paid

05/07/2011- emailed AOS package

05/09/2011- IV invoiced

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Canadian and thus far, it's taken approx 5 months. We are almost finishing up at the NVC stage (another cpl weeks maybe) and then, onto the consulate in Montreal, which is notoriously slow scheduling interviews. I *think* it takes them approx. 2 to 3 months after finishing at the NVC to get an appt.

In regards to your other question, I really don't know the answer, Canadians are usually allowed to stay in the US max 6 months. But it all depends on how long you told the border guard you were staying, the reasons you were going in, etc.

Good luck!

Timeline

This is in regards to other Canadians. How long does it take to get your visa?

Could I apply for my IR-1 visa and stay in the u.s. while I wait for my interview date?

Our interview is end of August...by then it will have taken 10 months for us. Pretty average I would say you cannot really live in the US while you wait. This visa is meant for people who are willing to wait apart till approval. To cross the border once the process has started you must show ties back to Canada...a job...a house...etc. You cannot move there and wait for the approval.

If you have any other questions you think I could answer, don't hesitate to ask me. I am going through all of this now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It really depends on the who you talk to when crossing. I have never really had to prove any ties, and if you have any of the paper, they are really cool about you going down. Just be honest and whatever you do, do not overstay your 6 months. Leave and come back if you want. That is what I did, but bear in mind, you have 6 months per calendar year, or 6 contiguous months, whichever comes first.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

2010-01-10 : I-129F Sent

2010-02-05 : I-129F NOA1 Received

2010-04-27 : I-129F NOA2 Received

2010-05-01 : NVC Received

2010-05-10 : Consulate Received

2010-06-01 : Packet 3 Received

2010-07-16 : Packet 3 Sent (6 weeks later, so it skews the time line a bit)

2010-07-22 : Packet 3 Logged

2010-09-07 : Packet 4 Sent

2010-09-14 : Packet 4 Received

2010-10-26 : Interview Date (Approved!!!)

2010-??-?? : POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, I read another thread on VJ that suggested Canadians do not have that "calendar year" restriction so I'm not really sure which one is accurate. :blink:

One interpretation of the "180 day rule" is that it is 180 consecutive days. So technically you could visit for 180 days, return to Canada for a few days and then go back to the US for another 180 days. However, any entrance to the US is always at the discretion of the border official. If you present at the border and tell them you are going to visit your husband you should be prepared to show ties to Canada indicating you are returning. Many filers have had no issues whatsoever but there are no guarantees. Good luck!

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Well, I have crossed at both Toronto and Montreal airports and have been grilled every single time. I have had to show the documentation and ALL of it every time. It is up to the discretion of the officer you speak to, and certainly they can, and have denied people's crossing who cannot show ties back to the country of origin. So sure, you may be able to cross, and you could be lucky like the previous respondent, but the CR-1-IR-1 is clearly stated as a visa for people who are willing to wait apart.

Timeline

Well, I have crossed at both Toronto and Montreal airports and have been grilled every single time. I have had to show the documentation and ALL of it every time. It is up to the discretion of the officer you speak to, and certainly they can, and have denied people's crossing who cannot show ties back to the country of origin. So sure, you may be able to cross, and you could be lucky like the previous respondent, but the CR-1-IR-1 is clearly stated as a visa for people who are willing to wait apart.

Also the person who replied saying they have never had to show ties...is not being processed as a IR-1 visa....you should probably stick with people who have had direct experience with it. No offense, because I know that person is trying to help. Always err on the side of caution with this stuff. Tickets for travel are expensive and being denied would be a huge disappointment.

It really depends on the who you talk to when crossing. I have never really had to prove any ties, and if you have any of the paper, they are really cool about you going down. Just be honest and whatever you do, do not overstay your 6 months. Leave and come back if you want. That is what I did, but bear in mind, you have 6 months per calendar year, or 6 contiguous months, whichever comes first.

Person is asking about CR-1, you are a K1...different ballgame.

Timeline

My husband and I filed in February while I was here. I had already been here 5 months. We applied, I got my NOA1 and when the 6 month mark came around, I went back to Canada for two weeks to visit family. After that I came back through Buffalo on greyhound. I was almost denied entry. The border patrol officer asked a million questions and when I finally said that we were waiting for my visa application he was going to attempt to look it up... luckily I had my NOA1 hard copy in my bag. He looked at it, folded it up and gave it back with my passport and allowed me to get back on the bus and enter the US. It was very scary though. I really thought I was going to be denied. I've been here for 4 months now and I'll have to go back in 2 months. We just got our NOA2 so there is no way I'll be done before I have to go back. I'm not sure if I'll try to come back again or just wait it out in Canada. Not sure if I can stand to be away from my hubby for that long. It's up to you. You can try it but it's hard to predict what will happen. It's all about the border patrol officer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.