jimandjosil

Adoption and Removal of Conditions

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I hope this is the right place to post this. My daughter and I are set to remove conditions soon. Our CR1 and Cr2 visa respectively will expire oct. 15 2010. Now the question is...a few months ago my husband filed to adopt my daughter, we are almost done, we are set for a hearing this coming august. The probate court said we are set to go. Now we were hopeful that as soon as the adoption is finalized we wouldnt need to remove copnditions for her...is this right?

Now as I browse through...I read about having to file N643 for my daughter , the certificate of citizenship. I mean we are pretty sure the adoption will be finalized soon but do I need file this N643 to complete the process?

Or do I still file the removal of conditions for my daughter even though the adoption is finalized? Can this suffice as her green card...the adoption? We also want to change her last name using my husband's...how can we do this? I know I'm scatterbrained right now but our goal is to spend less money and hoefully easy process without my daughter knowing she's adopted. Thanks.

JJM

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hey there... my husband adopted my son early last year, and no he didnt have to apply for removal of condition as he became a US citizen after the adoption... they gave us a new birth certificate with last name from my hubby, we hired a lawyer so he did all of that.. our lawyer petitioned for my sons last name change with the application and stuff and it came with the final decree.. We acquired a US passport after that. although Social security told me in able for my son to change his status on their record, they need certificate of citizenship, that i havent done yet, we were able to have a vacation w/ no problems only having my son's US passport... i probably gonna come back and see if they accept my son's US passport, i went there last year with only the adoption decree on my hand so I will try if they accept passport if not then i will file for N643... and no you dont need N643 to finalize adoption.. hope it helps... :D

hi...thanks for your reply. I just need to clarify something. Is the change of name a separate application fee? And an additional process to the adoption or can it be joint application with the adoption? Or is it automatic after the adoption is finalized?

Also as soon as the adoption is finalized will it automatically deliver a new birth certificate? I know this will serve as evidence of legal stay in this country since you can procure a US passport using the new birth certificate. Did i understand it right? thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i am assuming you are doing the process by yourself.. we hired a lawyer and he did everything for us up to securing of my son's birth cert... well, for change of name, i am not sure on that, if y'all dont have a lawyer, best is to ask the county court before the hearing about that coz i know its not automatic or maybe it is in your state.. our lawyer had to petition for my son's name change together with the application. maybe some people here that did their adoption w/o a lawyer can answer your question about that. For the birth certificate, you have to apply for it afterwards.. contact your local vital statistics office..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.