Amby

fetus can't feel pain before 24 weeks

245 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

LONDON — British health experts say the human fetus cannot feel pain before the age of 24 weeks, so there is no reason to change the country's abortion laws.

The government-commissioned study is a setback for anti-abortion activists, who want the country's current 24-week time limit for terminations reduced.

The study says that nerve connections in the brain are not sufficiently formed to allow pain perception before 24 weeks.

The study by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, published Friday, was recommended by lawmakers who are considering lowering the abortion limit.

The doctors say there is increasing evidence that even after 24 weeks the fetus is in a state of "continuous sleep-like unconsciousness or sedation."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,595284,00.html?test=latestnews

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

LONDON — British health experts say the human fetus cannot feel pain before the age of 24 weeks, so there is no reason to change the country's abortion laws.

The government-commissioned study is a setback for anti-abortion activists, who want the country's current 24-week time limit for terminations reduced.

The study says that nerve connections in the brain are not sufficiently formed to allow pain perception before 24 weeks.

The study by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, published Friday, was recommended by lawmakers who are considering lowering the abortion limit.

The doctors say there is increasing evidence that even after 24 weeks the fetus is in a state of "continuous sleep-like unconsciousness or sedation."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,595284,00.html?test=latestnews

I find disturbing the assumption that pain is a moral precedent. Nobody would excuse murder on the premise that the victim felt no pain.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The length that some people will go to in order to justify abortion staggers the mind. How about killing a quadrapelegic by stabbing him/her in the heart. They can't feel pain below the neck...

RoC Timeline

08/20/2012: Sent I-751 to California Service Center

Our Immigration Checklist

The length that some people will go to in order to justify abortion staggers the mind. How about killing a quadrapelegic by stabbing him/her in the heart. They can't feel pain below the neck...

Well, the gov't allowed the State of FL to starve Terri Schiavo to death, even posting a policeman by her bed to ensure nothing be given to her by mouth to sustain her life. They said she felt no pain, despite her moans, oh and the fact that they gave her iv painkillers too.

Edited by Happy Bunny

It kind of sickens me to hear this. It's not even about if the baby can feel pain. It has a formed body with organs... fingers, toes, eyes, everything. It can hiccup, wince, feel the mother's emotions. Who cares about pain at that point?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Firstly, I thought the UK government already tried and failed to lower the abortion limit back in 2008.

Secondly late term abortions are very rare - accounting for about approximately 1.5% of abortions take place after 20 weeks.

Thirdly, as far as I understand it, they are nearly always conducted because the fetus has a developmental disorder or poses a threat to the mother's health. Barring a very few exceptions, I don't think they are permitted for contraceptive or social reasons.

Fourthly, you have to consider the parliamentary request that asked the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists to investigate it.

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Emotional rhetoric as usual, same old same old. The notion that anyone would choose to have an abortion simply based on whether or not the fetus can feel pain or not completely misrepresents the point of the research but hey nothing new there,

Lisa, much as I love pics of fetus is this an appropriate place to post it? I mean, really, do you lack common sense?

STFU Cleo. Seriously.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Emotional rhetoric as usual, same old same old. The notion that anyone would choose to have an abortion simply based on whether or not the fetus can feel pain or not completely misrepresents the point of the research but hey nothing new there,

I think the conclusion is also misleading as it is presented in a manner that divorces it from the proceedings that requested and initiated it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I think the conclusion is also misleading as it is presented in a manner that divorces it from the proceedings that requested and initiated it.

Regardless whether or not that was the point of the study, abortion advocates will use it as ammo to further "strengthen" their argument.

Edit: I thought the picture of the fetus at 22 weeks was very relevant.

Edited by DukeOfYork

RoC Timeline

08/20/2012: Sent I-751 to California Service Center

Our Immigration Checklist