LDRkristin

Interview in Vancouver

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello friends,

A few questions:

About timing:

My interview at the Vancouver Consulate for the K-1 is coming up next week. I'm wondering how early I need to arrive at the consulate for a 1pm interview. Would it be okay to show up only 15 minutes early, or do I need to show up earlier to wait in a line, or go through security, or get fingerprinted? How long does the interview take? What else should I expect to happen at the consulate? How long should I expect to be at the consulate from start to finish? I'm trying to figure out what time to leave work, and whether I'll be able to go back afterward.

About fees:

On another note, I paid the $131 fee before it went up. I know I have to pay the difference of $219, but where do I do this? Do I need to get more deposit forms and go back to Scotia Bank, or can I pay the difference in cash at the consulate? Are there any other fees I should expect at the consulate?

About medical:

Also, I've read different things: do I need to bring my chest x-ray to the interview or not?

About the mail:

I've read that the Montreal Consulate requires you to bring an express paid envelope. Is this true for Vancouver also? If so, how big, and what is it used for?

Thank you in advance!

My interview at the Vancouver Consulate for the K-1 is coming up next week.

Good luck! It's way easy from everything that I've heard/read/from what John experienced. Just make sure all your documentation is with you and in order, and there will be no problems.

I'm wondering how early I need to arrive at the consulate for a 1pm interview. Would it be okay to show up only 15 minutes early, or do I need to show up earlier to wait in a line, or go through security, or get fingerprinted? They won't even let you in the building until 12:30 (I believe, so you are ok)

How long does the interview take? For John, it was about a 5 minute interview, but he was only asked a few questions, very simple ones (who are you marrying, where does she live, what type of work do you do)

What else should I expect to happen at the consulate? Expect to sit and wait alot more than you would think :)

How long should I expect to be at the consulate from start to finish? Allow a couple of hours, just in case you are behind someone that takes a while, or they are just slow that day.

I'm trying to figure out what time to leave work, and whether I'll be able to go back afterward. Depends on where you work I would think. John parked in one of the parking ramps and paid by the hour. He was there about 2-1/2 from start to finish.

About fees:

On another note, I paid the $131 fee before it went up. I know I have to pay the difference of $219, but where do I do this? Do I need to get more deposit forms and go back to Scotia Bank,Yes

or can I pay the difference in cash at the consulate? No

Are there any other fees I should expect at the consulate? No additional fees

About medical:

Also, I've read different things: do I need to bring my chest x-ray to the interview or not? They will not ask for it

About the mail:

I've read that the Montreal Consulate requires you to bring an express paid envelope. Is this true for Vancouver also? If so, how big, and what is it used for? Definitely not required for Vancouver, because you can go pick it up two days later after 2 pm

Thank you in advance! Again, GOOD LUCK!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~
NOA1: October 29, 2009
NOA2: January 21, 2010
Interview Date: April 12, 2010 - APPROVED!
Visa Received: April 26, 2010
POE: May 11, 2010
Wedding: May 21, 2010

~AOS/EAD/AP~
Sent: June 8, 2010
Received at Chicago Lockbox: June 10, 2010
Email/text notification of NOA1: June 16, 2010
Check cashed: June 17, 2010
Case shows up on USCIS website: June 18, 2010
Hard copies of NOA1's arrive: June 18, 2010
Touch on all 3 cases: June 21, 2010
Biometrics letter: Received June 24, 2010, scheduled for July 15, successful walk-in June 30th!
Touch on AOS/EAD cases: July 1, 2010
EAD and AP approval: August 6, 2010
EAD Card Production: August 9, 2010
AP received: August 13, 2010
EAD Card received: August 16, 2010
AOS Interview: August 23, 2010 APPROVED!

~ROC~
Sent: August 7, 2012
Check cashed: August 14, 2012
NOA1: August 10, 2012
Biometrics: September 13, 2012
RFE: April 1, 2013; response mailed April 2, 2013
Approved: April 22, 2013

Green Card Production ordered: June 12, 2013 (email received)

Green Card Received: June 17, 2013

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Beth,

Thanks so much for your response. I feel a lot more confident and prepared now. One thing I discovered on my own, however, is that I am supposed to pay the difference of the increased fee for the visa in cash at the consulate after all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Beth,

Thanks so much for your response. I feel a lot more confident and prepared now. One thing I discovered on my own, however, is that I am supposed to pay the difference of the increased fee for the visa in cash at the consulate after all.

When I was going through this part of the process (K-1 visa application through Vancouver) I found that I got fast, maximally authoritative answers just by emailing VancouverK@state.gov. I hardly needed VJ during that phase at all. :)

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.