bond

short question regarding I-864A

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys!

One short question regarding I-864A.

My wife’s dad will fill out I-864A, cause my wife is a student and does not have any income yet (we live together with my wifes parents).

He is self-employed as a truck driver and his income varied a lot during the last years.

In 2007 he made $29,655 (he was sick in this year and didn’t drive so much), in 2008 he made $77,321 (good year) and in 2009 his income was $39,861 (business was slow).

Should I attach just his last income tax return from 2009 or also from 2008 and 2007. I know that only the most recent one is a requirement and the other two are optional. Is it better to provide all three income tax returns, since his income varied so much during the last years or does it not matter?

Thanks

Adam

Unless there are around 7 people in the household, 39k should be sufficient, so no need to get the other years involved.

Unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii...

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Timeline

Unless there are around 7 people in the household, 39k should be sufficient, so no need to get the other years involved.

Unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii...

We are five people in the household...I know that I only have to provide the most recent tax return....I was just wondering if it would help since his income varied so much in the last three years. If they will not make any problems than I just send in the most recent one. Why are they want to know the income from all three recent years?

We are five people in the household...I know that I only have to provide the most recent tax return....I was just wondering if it would help since his income varied so much in the last three years. If they will not make any problems than I just send in the most recent one. Why are they want to know the income from all three recent years?

Well, for people just like your dad who have different income every year. For example, the average (I do not know if that's what they use) of all three years would be ~48k, right? So that's higher than the 39k last year. However, for 5 people, since you only need 32k, I would think showing any years below that would be detrimental. On the other hand, if he had made the 29k last year, showing two previous years with better income + cover letter explaining illness & recovery, showing previous years would help. That's why they give you the option.

Since he made enough last year, you don't need to provide extra documentation to "plead your case" as it were, so don't complicate things.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.