Cowgirl2

POE Peace or Queenston/Lewiston?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Originally my husband was going to POE (activate his IR-1 visa) at Toronto Pearson but it was cheaper to get a flight through Buffalo. I was wondering if Peace bridge or Queenston/Lewiston bridge is better to activate his visa? Also, I'm the USC, would you recommend that I be there with him as well? He is going to POE this friday and I'm flying in Wednesday to help with his packing, but I'm leaving Canada from Pearson after (just a few days) he POEs as I have a baby shower to attend over the weekend and he didn't want to wait for me to POE as he has a business trip planned early Monday.

Also, would the officer care that I'm not leaving with my husband and leaving a few days after? Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Originally my husband was going to POE (activate his IR-1 visa) at Toronto Pearson but it was cheaper to get a flight through Buffalo. I was wondering if Peace bridge or Queenston/Lewiston bridge is better to activate his visa? Also, I'm the USC, would you recommend that I be there with him as well? He is going to POE this friday and I'm flying in Wednesday to help with his packing, but I'm leaving Canada from Pearson after (just a few days) he POEs as I have a baby shower to attend over the weekend and he didn't want to wait for me to POE as he has a business trip planned early Monday.

Also, would the officer care that I'm not leaving with my husband and leaving a few days after? Thanks!

hey cowgirl! congrats on this part of your journey finally coming to an end!

I POE at the peace bridge(without my husband) they were very fsmiliar with the process and I was in and out in about 35 minutes..it was quick and painless..and I was a nervous wreck..hehe good luck with which ever POE destination you choose!

S

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would recommend the Peace Bridge as well. It's the bridge I've used to cross for years, and where I activated my visa. It was a pretty simple process and I was in and out in about 15 minutes. I've read a lot of stories about CBP officers not knowing what they're doing when processing visas, but the man I worked with at the Peace Bridge knew exactly what to do.

Did you DCF by any chance? Because in that case, I think it's important that the intending immigrant does not proceed their US spouses in moving to the US. I don't know the details behind this, but I have read it many times on this forum. If you didn't DCF, then him POEing without you shouldn't be an issue at all.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Huggles- We did go through the DCF route, but I already moved to Texas over 6 months ago as MTL wanted proof of domicile. In the paperwork we sent in, they have my paystubs from my job in Texas as well as lease agreement, Texas Driver's License, etc..so evidence of my domicile in Texas is all there

I'm just wondering if its a good idea or not for me to drop him off to the aiport in Buffalo and be present for his POE, even though I wouldn't be flying with him that day, but will be flying out from Toronto about 3 days later (I can take my itinerary with me).

I was just thinking to have his brother drop him off so I can take that time to get other things taken care of!

What would you recommend?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Huggles- We did go through the DCF route, but I already moved to Texas over 6 months ago as MTL wanted proof of domicile. In the paperwork we sent in, they have my paystubs from my job in Texas as well as lease agreement, Texas Driver's License, etc..so evidence of my domicile in Texas is all there

I'm just wondering if its a good idea or not for me to drop him off to the aiport in Buffalo and be present for his POE, even though I wouldn't be flying with him that day, but will be flying out from Toronto about 3 days later (I can take my itinerary with me).

I was just thinking to have his brother drop him off so I can take that time to get other things taken care of!

What would you recommend?

Basically, what I'm asking is do they even ask to see the flight info for the person activating the Visa...and would they ask for mine?

Timeline

My wife POE'd at Lewiston-Queenston; we happened to get in around 8PM on Saturday night of Easter weekend, so it wasn't very crowded, and we were in and out in about a half hour -- the officer behind the desk said he could do the rest of the paperwork without us.

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

I POE'd at Queenston Lewiston and had no issues, I had 3 to activate(myself and kids}. Was there about an hour, it was a Saturday morning. My husband was with me, he wasn't asked anything.

Edited by sdw

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I POE'd at the Peace Bridge. It took me about 1 1/2 hours; there were no problems at all. I spent the majority of the time just sitting and waiting while the agent processed my info. I also imported my car at the same time so that was a portion of the total time. Everyone was very professional and friendly.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

I POE'd at the Peace Bride, took 45 minutes. Yesterday I used my AP at the Lewistown Bridge and it took half an hour. Both places knew exactly what they were doing.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I POE'd at the Peace Bride, took 45 minutes. Yesterday I used my AP at the Lewistown Bridge and it took half an hour. Both places knew exactly what they were doing.

Thank you everyone for replying. At first I was really angry with my husband for being cheap and not going through Pearson Airport, but after reading all these posts I think he should be fine alone either through Peace or Queenston/Lewiston...im leaning more towards Peace though.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Cowgirl2,

I live close to the Canada/US border in NYS and go to back to Canada sometimes (lol..in fact, I just went there last week), and have travelled a lot between these three land crossings. So here are my thoughts, based on my border crossing experiences:

Here is the breakdown, based on border/customs checkpoint booths:

Rainbow Bridge - 2-5 booths

Queenston Lewiston Bridge - 5-10 booths

Peace Bridge - 10-20 booths

I would definitely not recommend the Rainbow Bridge, at Niagara Falls, unless you want to be harassed at the border for 2hrs or so...lol...(as that's what happened to me at my POE there...what a nightmare!...see my VJ timeline for more information).

From my experience, I would highly recommend for the Peace Bridge for you to cross at, as the many times I have crossed there and I've had no problems crossing there between the USA and Canada, and vice versa. They also have a lot of booth/checkpoint lanes there, and experience the least amount of delays. In and out in 10 mins, with a few minor questions (ID, country of citizenship, reason for going, anything to declare...just be truthful there when being asked, and have all of your paperwork ready beforehand)....then simple and easy in and out between the two countries...

Before you cross the border, just in case, you should also look at the following website too, to double-check on the traffic and road conditions on the day you are crossing over:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

Hope this helps. Happy POE crossing! Good luck on your immigration journey and your upcoming move!

Ant

P.S. Once you are in the USA, don't forget to drive in Miles, instead of Kilometres....lol....as you don't want to get a ticket for driving at the wrong speed!

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.