Windblown

middle/ maiden name confusion btwn Philippine standard and USA std

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We're at square one, trying to be sure I-129F and G-325A are 100% correct, but have a basic name-nomenclature dilemma.

My Filipina fiancee notes that her passport shows her mother's maiden name under the description "middle name" (apparently Philippine standard.) And what I would call her "middle name" (as an American) is, on her passport, categorized as her second "given name," under local convention, apparently - so there are four names shown in total on her Philippine passport. So in completing USCIS forms, would we use her mother's maiden name has her "middle," or would we use her second given name as her "middle?"

This seems like one of those classic "it seemed so minor..." issues - that later get people hung up at airports and deported, etc...

Mahalo,

Dave

While in the initial process, use the Philippine standard until K1 visa issuance as her name needs to match with her birth certificate and passport. You also do not want to confuse the Philippine authorities / agencies like NBI, CFO and St. Lukes which adhere to the Philippine standard and has no idea what the US standard is.

Once your fiancee gets here, it doesn't matter what standard she uses. My SS card, green card, US driver's license, credit cards are all Philippine standard and have had no problems. Other Pinays used the US standard and did not have problems as well.

We're at square one, trying to be sure I-129F and G-325A are 100% correct, but have a basic name-nomenclature dilemma.

My Filipina fiancee notes that her passport shows her mother's maiden name under the description "middle name" (apparently Philippine standard.) And what I would call her "middle name" (as an American) is, on her passport, categorized as her second "given name," under local convention, apparently - so there are four names shown in total on her Philippine passport. So in completing USCIS forms, would we use her mother's maiden name has her "middle," or would we use her second given name as her "middle?"

This seems like one of those classic "it seemed so minor..." issues - that later get people hung up at airports and deported, etc...

Mahalo,

Dave

During the K1 process, use the Philippines standard. I never had any problem even when I arrived at the airport.

Once you get married, its up to her if she wants to use her maiden name or second name as the middle name. I chose to keep my maiden name so I still have 4 names even in my SSN and driver's license. nobody gave me any trouble although sometimes they ask me for clarification. I just say I have 2 first names.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.