steph

absent fathers

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

can anyone tell me the laws about bringing children to the usa of a K1 visa if they havent seen or heard from their father for several years, what evidence is needed from the mother thank you

Edited by steph

03/24/2006 NOA1

09/07/2006 NOA2 approved

09/12/2006 touched

10/18/2006 NVC received

10/29/2006 packet 3 sent back

11/08/2006 medical

very much depends on whether you were married to the father or not....

Timeline
very much depends on whether you were married to the father or not....

hi

we were never married and his name is not on their birth certificates...his choice...

03/24/2006 NOA1

09/07/2006 NOA2 approved

09/12/2006 touched

10/18/2006 NVC received

11/08/2006 medical

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
can anyone tell me the laws about bringing children to the usa of a K1 visa if they havent seen or heard from their father for several years, what evidence is needed from the mother thank you

I HIGHLY suggest you contact the UK embassy directly and ask them what they expect. There may be others who can give you advice about what they require, but I believe it would be much better for you to go to the source on this question. You do not want to 'make a mistake' and not find out until the interview.

There are really no 'laws' as far as the US is concerned. You must have permission from the father, other then that, you fall under UK jurisdiction as far as custody/support etc.

All I can tell you about my experience is that the embassy my fiance is using requires a signed statement from the father. It can be very different at your embassy.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Has he relinquished his parental rights? Might depend on the laws of your state. I wouldn't mess around with this... I'd get an attorney involved.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

ABSOLUTELY depends on whether or not if you were married. If not...then no worries, as long as the child's father was named on the birth certificate before December 2003. After that, fathers have more rights due to changes in the law that were made about unmarried fathers and their rights. (http://www.fnf.org.uk/unwed.htm)

If you were married, it doesn't matter how long ago the father saw the child- he still has the right to stop the child moving out of the country.

My ex whom I divorced for domestic violence and death threats hadn't seen his son for 14 years, had never paid child support and still managed to get my son's passport taken away by lying in court! He even managed to almost stop my child moving to the US by writing to the US embassy in London stating that he was not to be issued with a visa. It was only after I wrote to the judge stating how my husband had lied in court that I managed to get that revoked and get a passport and visa issued for my son.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline
ABSOLUTELY depends on whether or not if you were married. If not...then no worries, as long as the child's father was named on the birth certificate before December 2003. After that, fathers have more rights due to changes in the law that were made about unmarried fathers and their rights. (http://www.fnf.org.uk/unwed.htm)

If you were married, it doesn't matter how long ago the father saw the child- he still has the right to stop the child moving out of the country.

My ex whom I divorced for domestic violence and death threats hadn't seen his son for 14 years, had never paid child support and still managed to get my son's passport taken away by lying in court! He even managed to almost stop my child moving to the US by writing to the US embassy in London stating that he was not to be issued with a visa. It was only after I wrote to the judge stating how my husband had lied in court that I managed to get that revoked and get a passport and visa issued for my son.

we were never married and his name is not on their birth certificates

03/24/2006 NOA1

09/07/2006 NOA2 approved

09/12/2006 touched

10/18/2006 NVC received

11/08/2006 medical

Wow, Perfect... what some people go through! I'm so sorry... what a bitter person he must be. Must be a comfort to have an ocean between you now.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

well if he doesn't have any kind of parental resposibilty, which by the sound of it he doesn't, from the research I did no permission is needed or required...I rang the child abduction unit in the uk some months ago and they confirmed this...

I have a 10 yr old from a man I never married although his name IS on the birth certificate he does not have automatic PR (but this has changed now from what I can remember...)

But please do you own research to be certain in your own mind....I am happy that I know I do not need his permission to take my child out of the country....Good Luck.... :thumbs:

Yes...the law about automatic parental responsibility changed in December 2003, so any father on the birth certificate from that date onwards has automatic PR an dpotentially could stop the child moving.

The Passport office has a "child abduction unit" who can verify your situation's requirements for you and you should check it out for yourself, but it sounds from what you describe as though you're good to go without asking his permission.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.