biglos

Ease up on phone bills to your loved one

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks Biglos, for the info and the link to the article about Magic Jack...:thumbs:

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area, where I can't even get a broadband connection...:(

(heck, I barely even get cell phone service, as it's out of range...lol....)

So Magic Jack probably won't work for me, even though I would consider getting such if it was available in my area....

But if there is some other way to get discounted phone bills, from a rural location, do let me know.....Thanks....

As yes, I am tired of paying phone bills! (lol..especially to Verizon...grrr....$1 a minute to Canada....outrageous!)

Nevertheless, good luck to those who have success with Magic Jack, and may you have lower phone bills too....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've tried it all and I find digital phone to be the best option. We use Comcast digital voice and have unlimited calls anywhere in the US and Canada. My parents back home have a similar deal with Cogeco. Every now and then you get a strange delay when you first answer the phone, but that's really the only glitch I've noticed in a few years of using it.

I haven't really used Magic Jack enough to have a strong opinion. We don't use it because it doesn't work with a home security system, you need a phone line. The digital phone works with it, but things like Magic Jack don't.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not a fan of Magic jack. Oh the calls were pretty good but Donna and I talked so much they kicked us off. No refund, no returned phone calls, nothing. They have a clause in the fine print where they can do this to you if they think you're using it too much.

We use Skype when we can and it works pretty well. We have had to get creative to stay in contact as much as we want to. CAN'T WAIT till I don't have a phone in my hand all the time! We've both learned to do just about everything while holding a phone.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

lol!!!

We have an IP based number and it's unlimited long-distance to the US and Canada. It's 20$ a month -- it's silly these days to be paying long distance!

Hi Biglos!! *waves*

And while you're on the phone with the magic jack... use the wonderful slap chop to chop up those old phone bills!

headbonk.gif

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

we have Vonage.. I recently switched to a different plan.. 500 minutes a month with all the same features etc. for about 20 bucks a month... that is enough minutes for us because we hardly use the phone and I might call Canada once or twice a month...

before we had the unlimited plan for about 30 bucks a month

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We use the following:

Vonage (Unlimited plan)

MSN Messenger (a great to see each other live on webcam)

Ventrilo (for all those gamers and WoW players out there)

Phone cards (you can get them extremely cheap in Toronto, but you'll be dialing alot of numbers lol)

June 2003 - Met online

July 2004 - Met in person (in Texas), then travelled back and forth for the next couple of years

June 7, 2010 - Fiancee sent off I-129F

June 23, 2010 - Application received by USCIS and routed to the California Service Center for processing (NOA1)

November 2, 2010 - Received NOA2

November 29, 2010 - Received Packet 3 from Montreal Consulate (P3 was dated Nov. 19)

December 6, 2010 - Sent Packet 3 (via XpressPost Canada)

December 20, 2010 - Received Packet 4 from Montreal Consulate (P4 was dated Dec. 14)

March 28, 2011 - Medical Examination in Toronto (Results ready on March 30 at noon)

April, 13, 2011 - Interview at Montreal Consulate *APPROVED*

April 20, 2011 - Received DHL waybill number & picked up Visa at DHL Markham

June 6, 2011 - POE at Toronto Pearson Airport

June 20, 2011 - Wedding

Timeline

Yvonne and I use Google Voice (Wikipedia link) to do free long-distance calling (originating in the US only) anywhere in the US and Canada. If you initiate the call from a web browser, then Google calls your phone, then the other party's phone. If you're on a landline where there's no charge for incoming calls, the call is completely free. On cell phones, your normal minute usage would apply.

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Vonage with a local virtual number for the folks back home to call (extra $5/ month on the phone bill). Everyone I know back in Canada lives in the same area code so 1 virtual number works for everyone.

We have unlimited long distance within US as well. Our bill has been the same per month with Vonage for the last 5 years includes call waiting and call answer- sure as hell beats Bell Canada with they're trumped up basic line costing $40-something per month - without long distance even.

Needless to say - I do NOT miss Bell

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Right now, we're stuck with The Evil Bundle through our cable company: phone, internet and television.

We were going to get ooma on promotion, unfortunately things happened and we couldn't go for it. We had been debating between ooma and Vonage; main difference being that although ooma costs more for the initial unit, the standard package has no monthly charge. If you wanted the "premium" package with ooma, you can pay monthly or yearly. Both require highspeed internet connections and it is a very good idea to check your "jitter" through an online test. If the internet connection has too much jitter, call quality may be affected.

Ventrilo is a nifty option: you can either pay a monthly fee on various websites for them to host your server. You can also, internet connection permitting, run your own server. It can be likened to a conference call on a phone. I know it has been mentioned before by GLo; I wanted to extrapolate a bit since it may not be all that well known. It is most often used by folks playing online computer games to help co-ordinate things or just to talk verbally rather than type.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yvonne and I use Google Voice (Wikipedia link) to do free long-distance calling (originating in the US only) anywhere in the US and Canada. If you initiate the call from a web browser, then Google calls your phone, then the other party's phone. If you're on a landline where there's no charge for incoming calls, the call is completely free. On cell phones, your normal minute usage would apply.

+1 for Google Voice. If you have the app for it on your Blackberry you can even initiate the call with your cell phone and it's still free (except for the minutes as you said). I've been using it to talk with my fiancee for a year now and haven't had to pay a dime the whole time. Sweet!!!

Minnesotan guy, Canadian pixie

• May 25, 2010: I-129F sent overnight to CSC!
  • Jun 01, 2010: NOA1 (date on notice)
  • Oct 19, 2010: NOA2 (email received)
  • Oct 27, 2010: NVC receipt (date on notice)
  • Nov 08, 2010: Packet 3 received from Montreal
  • Nov 16, 2010: Sent Packet 3 forms to Montreal via post
  • Nov 30, 2010: Packet 4 received, interview scheduled
  • Mar 09, 2011: Interview in Montreal - passed!
  • Apr 27, 2011: Entry to US, wondrously uneventful
  • Jun 08, 2011: Official marriage in US
  • Jul 15, 2011: Sent AOS forms
  • Jul 21, 2011: NOA1 for I-485, EAD and AP
  • Aug 11, 2011: Received notice that I-485 case has been transferred to CSC
  • Sep 02, 2011: Received appointment notice for biometrics in St. Paul MN
  • Sep 30, 2011: Biometrics appointment
  • Oct 11, 2011: Received EAD/AP combo card in mail (w/no prior notification!)

5009041389_8c710de05c_m.jpg

Timeline

+1 for Google Voice. If you have the app for it on your Blackberry you can even initiate the call with your cell phone and it's still free (except for the minutes as you said). I've been using it to talk with my fiancee for a year now and haven't had to pay a dime the whole time. Sweet!!!

Yah... similar for iPhone; there's no actual native app, but the web app is pretty good, and it's really simple to make a home screen icon for it.

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Timeline

I use Skype-To-Go to call my wife through my cellphone.

I also use MagicJack and am very happy with it. I am on phone with my wife for atleast an hour and half everyday.. and MagicJack has worked flawless for over a year now. There have been weekends when I have been on phone through MagicJack for 10-12 hours :blink: Only downside with MJ is that it cuts off after 120 minutes.. but that's no big deal :)

02.14.2009 - Started chatting online

06.07.2009 - First meeting : Syracuse, NY

07.03.2009 - Spent 3 days together at Philadelphia

08.15.2009 - Engagement in Toronto! In front of her and my parents!

12.31.2009 - Civil Wedding in Toronto!

03.xx.2010 - Got Marriage Certificate but they mispelled my name. Reprint ordered.

05.15.2010 - Finally got correct marriage certificate

06.01.2010 - Ended 4 night trip with her in Las Vegas, NV.

06.04.2010 - Sent I-130 to USCIC

06.09.2010 - I-130 delivered to Chicago USCIS @ 1:40 PM.

06.16.2010 - Check cashed

06.18.2010 - NOA1 received in mail.

07.18.2010 - Real wedding and other events at Brampton/Mississauga!

11.05.2010 - NOA2 text received.

12.21.2010 - Sign In Failed!

03.09.2011 - Original Interview Date (Date was changed by us as T was in India at that time)

04.05.2011 - Medical

04.26.2011 - Interview : Passed! Woohoo!

04.28.2011 - Passport mailed from Montreal/Dorval. At Brampton DHL awaiting pickup 4/29.

05.08.2011 - Point Of Entry : Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY. Took 1 hour total.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.