3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

not sure where to post this...however....

But on the SSN application you must check off one of the following

"USC"

"Legal Alien Allowed to work"

"Legal Alien NOT Allowed to work" (see instructions pg3)

"Other" (see instructions pg3)

I don't have my green card yet, but I'm asking this ahead of time. Once I get to the US on my K-1 visa I can't work, we all know that. But we can apply for the SSN...the instructions on pg3 say the following:

You must provide a document from a US Federal, State or Local office explaining why you need the SSN & that you meet all the requirements for the government benefit.

MY QUESTION:

where do you get such a document stating the above request?

Edited by julesrose

Filed: Timeline

It's not a big deal at all.

I think I ticked the box 'legal alien allowed to work' because that's what you are as a K-1.

There is a form in the Guides that explains that K-1 visa holders are allowed to apply for a SSN which I also printed out and brought with me but no one wanted to see at the SSA. All they needed was my marriage cert and a copy of the K-1 / I-94.

See Step-by-Step Guide to getting a Social Security Number (SSN):

Print the following webpage out (K-1 Visa Holder Only); pay attention to section C:

>> RM 00203.500

ég eri ekki lengur kalt, hef aftur líf. lifnar mín sál, heiminn mála.

bless bless Þýskalandi! ég elsker þig!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's not a big deal at all.

I think I ticked the box 'legal alien allowed to work' because that's what you are as a K-1.

There is a form in the Guides that explains that K-1 visa holders are allowed to apply for a SSN which I also printed out and brought with me but no one wanted to see at the SSA. All they needed was my marriage cert and a copy of the K-1 / I-94.

See Step-by-Step Guide to getting a Social Security Number (SSN):

Seconded. If you check "Alien allowed to work" (as you should, per SSA's internal documents), the only documentation you need is your passport with K-1 visa and I-94. Birth certificate and marriage certificate may be applicable too, but I didn't need either for mine.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.