steflovesbran

Working on K1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All! I am now in the states on a K1 visa and I'm wondering if it is okay if I do some side work for my old boss in Toronto, doing marketing stuff online etc. and then I will just send her an invoice. I always worked this way for her in the first place, sort of like I'm self employed; she doesn't take taxes off. So I'm wondering if I could get in trouble since I'm working or if not since it is work for a Canadian employer? She will just send money into my paypal account. If I could get in trouble maybe I could just still do the work and have her pay me but wait until like October when I get my work authorization to date the invoices or I can maybe have my fiance's name on the invoices? My boss doesn't care. Any help would be great!

Thanks so much!

AOS

03-30-10: Montreal Interview

04-09-10: K1 Visa Received

04-17-10: US Entry (Toronto Pearson Airport to Peoria, Illinois)

06-12-10: Married the love of my life!!

06-25-10: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131 petitions to Chicago Lockbox

07-01-10: NOA1

07-30-10: Case transferred to California Service Center

08-03-10: Biometrics in Naperville, IL

08-21-10: AP approved

08-28-10: Received AP

08-30-10: EAD approved

09-01-10: Received EAD

09-20-10: Green card approved!!

09-25-10: Green card recieved!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Stef, how is it going? I hope y'all are doing good! I do not see any problem with you working for your Canadian employer.

Hey, please let me know if you boss needs some other help, I can help out too! I am going crazy without doing anything and some money would be good too!

Please let me know!

Regards to Brandon!

Edited by slider100

Hi All! I am now in the states on a K1 visa and I'm wondering if it is okay if I do some side work for my old boss in Toronto, doing marketing stuff online etc. and then I will just send her an invoice. I always worked this way for her in the first place, sort of like I'm self employed; she doesn't take taxes off. So I'm wondering if I could get in trouble since I'm working or if not since it is work for a Canadian employer? She will just send money into my paypal account. If I could get in trouble maybe I could just still do the work and have her pay me but wait until like October when I get my work authorization to date the invoices or I can maybe have my fiance's name on the invoices? My boss doesn't care. Any help would be great!

Thanks so much!

I've been working like that since I moved in January :) No problems. I even called DOS about it, and they said it's ok.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Hi,

From experience, there are a few things that you and her will need to do for IRS tax purposes. You are right to view your self as self-employed contracting your services to her. At the end of the year, she will need to send an invoice showing your US address and a breakdown of serivces rendered and total payment. This way, you do not pay taxes in Canada, as it is a service being provided out from a US business. But you will owe the IRS taxes. On your tax form for next year, you will have to fill out that you were self employed and go from there.

If your unsure about this, just confirm via a free consultation from an accountant.

Hope this helps.

Really? I'm in the same situation - coming down on K1, hoping to do some marketing consulting/freelancing for Canadian firms - but I thought you had to get a green card, which takes about 3 months. Otherwise you can't work for anyone, anywhere. Heartened that DOS says otherwise.

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks everyone! this has taken a load of my mind! slider...unfortunately she doesn't have any extra work, she barely has any for me :( but it gives me something to do like once a week. other than that, i feel your pain! i'm getting completely frustrated with not working and sitting at home all day. i try to stay positive but my god it gets soooo frikkin boring here!! brandon bought me a puppy so i have him to take care of and spend time with, if it wasn't for him i'd probably die lol.

AOS

03-30-10: Montreal Interview

04-09-10: K1 Visa Received

04-17-10: US Entry (Toronto Pearson Airport to Peoria, Illinois)

06-12-10: Married the love of my life!!

06-25-10: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131 petitions to Chicago Lockbox

07-01-10: NOA1

07-30-10: Case transferred to California Service Center

08-03-10: Biometrics in Naperville, IL

08-21-10: AP approved

08-28-10: Received AP

08-30-10: EAD approved

09-01-10: Received EAD

09-20-10: Green card approved!!

09-25-10: Green card recieved!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.