TheBears

Sawasdee 4 (Thai K-1s in 2010)

1,202 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sawasdee Krap!

Finally got our NOA2! Elated, and hoping for the best. Cheers.

Any advice on what to expect next?

K-1 Visa

11-08-2010: I-129F sent to USCIS.
11-15-2010: NOA1 received.
4-27-2011: NOA2 sent out.
5-5-2011: NVC confirmation sent.
5-30-2011: Packet 3 received from US Embassy in Bangkok.
6-28-2011: Packet 3 sent to US Embassy.
7-28-2011: Packet 4 and interview appointment notification received.
8-30-2011: Interview appointment: Approved.
10-24-2011: My fiance arrived in the US!
12-9-2011: Married!
12-23-2011: I-485/I-765/I-131 submitted to Chicago lockbox.
12-29-2011: I-485/I-765/I-131 materials received.
1-23-2012: Notice of transfer of I-485 application to California.
2-3-2012: Bio-metrics.
3-2-2012: EAD/AP Approved/Received.
8-29-2012: I-485 Approved.
9-4-2012: Conditional Green Card Received.

5-19-2014: I-751 sent to California Service Center.

5-21-2014: I-797 NOA receipt issued.

7-9-2014: I-797 NOA Biometrics appt issued.

7-23-2014: Biometrics appt.

9-11-2014: AOS Lifted.

9-19-2014: 10 Year Green Card Received.

8-17-2015: N-400 sent to Arizona.

8-21-2015: NOA.

9-18-2015: Biometrics appointment

11-19-2015: Interview passed!

Citizenship!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The sooner your fiancée and you gather the required documents, the sooner her interview. You can read Packet 3 on the embassy's website fora complete list of documents she will need to gather and/or fill out.

On average visa in hand takes about 2-4 months from now depending on how quickly you send in the paperwork as well as how busy the embassy is.

Timeline

The sooner your fiancée and you gather the required documents, the sooner her interview. You can read Packet 3 on the embassy's website fora complete list of documents she will need to gather and/or fill out.

On average visa in hand takes about 2-4 months from now depending on how quickly you send in the paperwork as well as how busy the embassy is.

Thanks. I found that list of documents on their website and have been reviewing it carefully. I will be sending my own I-134 and financial documents to her very shortly so she can prep too. I hope this process gets done sooner rather than later!

K-1 Visa

Citizenship!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hope everyone is doing well!

Anyone else have a problem getting a state ID based on the I-94 date being "almost expired"?

The idiocy that is the New York State DMV made us wait over 2 hrs today to finally instruct us that contrary to what the NY DMV doc ID-44 (Proofs of Identity) states, my wife is not eligible for a non-driver ID because the last day of validity for her I-94 is today. NB: We filed for AOS last month so no 90-day issue.

I offered to show the receipt for the I-485, but was instructed that document is not on "their list" and could not be accepted. We were told she has to wait to get her green card. Are you kidding me!

My argument was, the I-94 is valid today which is my wife is applying. I was told that Albany would not process it and I should not pay the $14 (who cares, I just waited 2 hrs), because by the time Albany received it, the I-94 would no longer be valid - HUH? Where did it ever state that the I-94 must be valid at some point after application. This makes no sense, which I tried to explain, but explanation failed. Like an idiot, I paid my $14. Now we will wait before I contact the Albany office, since we will not probably receive the ID.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Gotta love the New York DMV workers too - wearing t-shirts with sayings on them, texting on their phones under their desks. What a class act!

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Oh yeah, this experience was after we had to go to the social security office 2 times and 1 30-min phone call to get her social security card, even though we had everything the first time. Go New York!!!

Timeline

Anyone else have a problem getting a state ID based on the I-94 date being "almost expired"?

The idiocy that is the New York State DMV made us wait over 2 hrs today to finally instruct us that contrary to what the NY DMV doc ID-44 (Proofs of Identity) states, my wife is not eligible for a non-driver ID because the last day of validity for her I-94 is today. NB: We filed for AOS last month so no 90-day issue.

I offered to show the receipt for the I-485, but was instructed that document is not on "their list" and could not be accepted. We were told she has to wait to get her green card. Are you kidding me!

My argument was, the I-94 is valid today which is my wife is applying. I was told that Albany would not process it and I should not pay the $14 (who cares, I just waited 2 hrs), because by the time Albany received it, the I-94 would no longer be valid - HUH? Where did it ever state that the I-94 must be valid at some point after application. This makes no sense, which I tried to explain, but explanation failed. Like an idiot, I paid my $14. Now we will wait before I contact the Albany office, since we will not probably receive the ID.

Gotta love the New York DMV workers too - wearing t-shirts with sayings on them, texting on their phones under their desks. What a class act!

Oh yeah, this experience was after we had to go to the social security office 2 times and 1 30-min phone call to get her social security card, even though we had everything the first time. Go New York!!!

If you browse the forums on VJ you'll see that this is already common knowledge, at least the DL-related restrictions you have mentioned. Once you receive the GC you can apply for a DL.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

That's normal in every state. Ann drove on her Thai license for several months. Got pulled over once, too, and... no problem.

Timeline

Not sure I understand your comment. What's normal? That the state does not issue an ID even though the I-94 is valid at the time of the application? Or, am I misunderstanding the issue. Is the state issued ID only valid while the I-94 is valid? That doesn't seem to make sense though and I haven't read anything that indicates that is the case.

Or maybe you meant it is normal in every state for DMV workers to be wearing t-shirts with sayings on them and texting on their phones under their desks. Just kidding...

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Timeline

Not sure I understand your comment. What's normal? That the state does not issue an ID even though the I-94 is valid at the time of the application? Or, am I misunderstanding the issue. Is the state issued ID only valid while the I-94 is valid? That doesn't seem to make sense though and I haven't read anything that indicates that is the case.

Or maybe you meant it is normal in every state for DMV workers to be wearing t-shirts with sayings on them and texting on their phones under their desks. Just kidding...

Thanks in advance for your insight.

It is normal, because when the I94 expires, she is technically in the country illegally. Now with the AOS filed, she is not a legal permanent resident until the AOS is approved, you are in immigration limbo at that time. Most states will issue a DL or state ID, but the ID will expire when the I94 expires, and in most cases it will also expire when the GC (if 2 year) expires.

in california my husband was issued a an i.d. card good for 6 years right after he got his ssn. so less than 30 days after arrival he recieved both ssn and i.d. card. he was not even questioned about the application for i-485 which we ended up not filing for another year. nor did he get questioned about his i-94 the biggest concern was whether or not he could fit his name in the signature box.

i wonder is it a newer policy? or is it relative to driving? my husband did not apply for a driving license.

Edited by Kang Lang

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

in california my husband was issued a an i.d. card good for 6 years right after he got his ssn. so less than 30 days after arrival he recieved both ssn and i.d. card. he was not even questioned about the application for i-485 which we ended up not filing for another year. nor did he get questioned about his i-94 the biggest concern was whether or not he could fit his name in the signature box.

i wonder is it a newer policy? or is it relative to driving? my husband did not apply for a driving license.

Below has always been the policy, however if you get a DMV clerk that is not used to seeing the documents, and knowing the policy, they will issue it just as they normally would. Here in NV I have seen people get it limited to their expiration date, and I have seen people get them for 4 years (regular length of time here). Luck of the draw on which clerk you get, one who cares about there job and one who does not.

California DMV:

All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date and legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Your BD/LP document must have an expiration date 30 or more days from your application date. If your BD/LP document has an expiration date less than 30 days, you will not be able to start a driver license or identification card application.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

My wife received her New York ID card today w/ an expiration date of 2020.

I'm glad I paid the $14 and did not listen to the New York DMV manager.

Not sure if we just lucked out or if the DMV manager gave us incorrect info. Either way - she now has it and we hopefully won't have to deal with the DMV again for a while.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We had the same problem here in NC when I took Teaw to get here ID card. They would not issue it because the I-94 was expiring and they have to wait up to 2 weeks for Homeland Security to do a check on the person applying for it. That is the new rules for the Feds...all driver's licenses and ID cards go through HS before you receive it in the mail. We had her SSI at the time too. But as soon as we got her employment card in the mail from the Feds we got her ID card. What they want is some form of govt. ID with her picture on it OR a letter from immigration. I don't think it's easy to get a letter from immigration but if you filed for her work authorization at the same time you did the AOS you should get that first and then you can get her ID card.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

My fiance recently received packet 3 from the US embassy in Bangkok. Just to confirm, is she supposed to use DS-156K (which says it has expired already), or DS-160? Thanks in advance.

K-1 Visa

Citizenship!

Timeline

Hi

Does anyone know on what date the BKK embassy publish the interview schedule.

Is there a way to find out the interview date before they publish the list?

We gave the papers on the first week of June and still didn't hear anything.

Thanks all

Timeline

Hi

Does anyone know on what date the BKK embassy publish the interview schedule.

Is there a way to find out the interview date before they publish the list?

We gave the papers on the first week of June and still didn't hear anything.

Thanks all

It's kind of erratic. I've even seen them skip a month.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.