TheBears

Sawasdee 4 (Thai K-1s in 2010)

1,202 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Pattaya has been hell on earth for at least the last 6 years or so. Probably longer. Take a walk on the beach at night. It's like purgatory. Phuket or Hua Hin is a much better choice.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Well that sucks :( I've never been but Mimi wants to try it for vacation but I guess we won't plan on more than a week there (Hua Hin is the next place on our list), so we can see what it's like. Just read an article about the topic that said they are big spenders ($300 bottles of champagne and caviar):

http://www.gluckman.com/Russians.html

It's good for Pattaya tourism but that means prices for everything will go up. Maybe they will spend more improving what I've been told is a pathetically short/smelly beach.

WOW! If that story has not been updated then it is from 1995.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We would rather have gone to Phuket or Samui or someplace else, but could not get cheap flights so decided on Pattaya. I had not been there for maybe 3-4 years but don't remember Pats being so Russianized the last time I was there. The beaches are still a mess, the guys driving the boats still drive between swimmers instead of staying farther offshore and I hardly heard English being spoken anywhere we went!! We had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe our first night there and some Russian lady at a table was so loud and obnoxious with her laugh that I couldn't wait to get out of there. She had to laugh as loud as she could at anything that her friends said. I would definitely avoid Pattaya on any trips to the beach and look for other nicer alternatives if you have time to plan for it ahead.

Just hit a big book fair here in BKK so Teaw could stock up on some books to read back home since we can't find any in NC and the ones you can find in Thai Town in LA, Calif are too damn expensive!!! So got to spread them around in the luggage to distribute the weight now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hey, my fiance is going back on Monday with all of the information that we collected regarding our relationship contact between 2008-2009 as well as some more employment records/tax sheets/ bank statements from the company in 2009.

Apparently, when you're going to turn information in like this, you can only do it Mondays or Wednesdays between 1:00pm and 3:00pm. My question to anyone with experience is: How exactly does this work if I want them to look over our proof while my fiancée waits? Should she get there super early, and give them the paperwork then wait? Should she show up right at 1:00pm? 12:30pm? 7am? Just looking for a little guidance as to the best way to get this done and her in my arms asap :).

Thanks for your help!

Timeline

Hey, my fiance is going back on Monday with all of the information that we collected regarding our relationship contact between 2008-2009 as well as some more employment records/tax sheets/ bank statements from the company in 2009.

Apparently, when you're going to turn information in like this, you can only do it Mondays or Wednesdays between 1:00pm and 3:00pm. My question to anyone with experience is: How exactly does this work if I want them to look over our proof while my fiancée waits? Should she get there super early, and give them the paperwork then wait? Should she show up right at 1:00pm? 12:30pm? 7am? Just looking for a little guidance as to the best way to get this done and her in my arms asap :).

Thanks for your help!

When we went back to turn in information, we got there about 12:00, so we were first in line. My attorney went in with her, and asked the girl at the counter to ask the consular to review the information while we waited. She was there until 4pm. Then she came out with an approval and we went back at the end of the week and picked up the visa.

Timeline

Thanks for your help!

It works exactly like that. Monday and Wednesday between 1 and 3 pm.

Timeline

What is the wait looking like for an interview at the BKK embassy? I read on their website it's 10-12 weeks. Is this accurate?

Thanks.

Filed I-129F CSC ~~~~~ 3 August 2010

NOA-1 Received ~~.~~~ 6 August 2010

Called CSC @ 5 mo mk ~ 6 January 2011

**CSC added 21 days to normal processing period***

Service Call ~~~~.~~~~ 27 January 2011

NOA-2 APPROVED! ~~ 27 January 2011

NVC Received ~~~~~~~ 1 February 2011

Embassy Received ~.~~ 8 February 2011

Timeline

What is the wait looking like for an interview at the BKK embassy? I read on their website it's 10-12 weeks. Is this accurate?

Thanks.

We just got our packet 4 via email. Our interview day is 26 April. Lately, the Bangkok embassy has had a 2-3 week wait from packet 4 arrival to interview day. however, in our case the wait in between is 4 weeks. One thing to keep in mind during April in Thailand is all the holidays. Perhaps, they are closing for Thai holidays too. Take a look at my time line below. From NOA2 to packet 4 was 1 month. From NOA2 to interview appointment is 2 months. That of course will depend on how fast can you return your packet 3 with all her documents to the embassy.

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, the embassy closes for the Thai holidays too. It's a nice job if you can get it...US holidays and the Thai holidays all paid I am sure. So that will slow things down a little bit.

Don't know if you guys saw this article from The Nation or not, but... WOW. You would think they would at least tie it to the woman's age.

Law prohibiting marriage to foreigners over the age of 50 proposed to Thai Cabinet

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Interior are bringing a new proposal before the Cabinet prohibiting foreigners over the age of 50 from marrying Thai nationals.

According to a Ministry spokesperson, statistics show that many older foreigners are marrying much younger Thai women, which is not appropriate and often leads to many problems.

"Many older foreigners seem to marry Thai women so they can stay in Thailand under less strict requirements. Instead of needing to meet the requirements of 800,000 baht in the bank they only have to show 400,000 baht a year when married to a Thai. Additionally, many of these people seem to come to Thailand simply to marry much younger girls. In many cases they are old enough to be their father. I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women. If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand," Tawatchai Suksoom of the Ministry of Interior stated.

He added that the measure is not discriminatory as it will apply to both men and women, but admitted that the proposal would mainly affect Thai women and foreign men.

Thai nationals cannot be prohibited from marrying older foreigners abroad, however Thai embassies will warn them of the possibility that Thailand will not recognize the marriage if they return to Thailand, he noted.

It is expected that the new law will be brought before the Cabinet for approval at the beginning of next month where it will then be proposed to Parliament. The law will not apply retroactively but only to marriages that take place after the new law comes into effect. Tawatchai advised Thais living overseas to provide proof to their Embassies that they were married before the law came into effect so as to avoid any potential problems.

The new law is in line with similar laws in Cambodia and Laos as part of the upcoming ASEAN integration in 2015 and is expected to pass Parliament with ease and should take effect on May 1st, 2011.

Edited by toma1

Timeline

Don't know if you guys saw this article from The Nation or not, but... WOW. You would think they would at least tie it to the woman's age.

Law prohibiting marriage to foreigners over the age of 50 proposed to Thai Cabinet

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Interior are bringing a new proposal before the Cabinet prohibiting foreigners over the age of 50 from marrying Thai nationals.

According to a Ministry spokesperson, statistics show that many older foreigners are marrying much younger Thai women, which is not appropriate and often leads to many problems.

"Many older foreigners seem to marry Thai women so they can stay in Thailand under less strict requirements. Instead of needing to meet the requirements of 800,000 baht in the bank they only have to show 400,000 baht a year when married to a Thai. Additionally, many of these people seem to come to Thailand simply to marry much younger girls. In many cases they are old enough to be their father. I am concerned that these people are attempting to circumvent the rules by marrying innocent Thai women. If these people don't have enough money to retire then they shouldn't be here and become a burden to Thailand," Tawatchai Suksoom of the Ministry of Interior stated.

He added that the measure is not discriminatory as it will apply to both men and women, but admitted that the proposal would mainly affect Thai women and foreign men.

Thai nationals cannot be prohibited from marrying older foreigners abroad, however Thai embassies will warn them of the possibility that Thailand will not recognize the marriage if they return to Thailand, he noted.

It is expected that the new law will be brought before the Cabinet for approval at the beginning of next month where it will then be proposed to Parliament. The law will not apply retroactively but only to marriages that take place after the new law comes into effect. Tawatchai advised Thais living overseas to provide proof to their Embassies that they were married before the law came into effect so as to avoid any potential problems.

The new law is in line with similar laws in Cambodia and Laos as part of the upcoming ASEAN integration in 2015 and is expected to pass Parliament with ease and should take effect on May 1st, 2011.

Wait I'm confused. The girl has to be under 50?

:rofl:

Mr. T must be having a stroke. That's .25 percent of his farang non voting lovers up NE he is messing with. Wonder what that families will think?

Timeline

You posted this long after it was debunked as an AFD prank.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi,

We are finishing my wife's adjustment of status papers and just had a couple of questions for the community.

(1) I read on this site - under tips for K1s adjusting status - that if the i-693 (medical exam) was done w/in 1 yr of the app to adjust that a new medical is not needed, HOWEVER, the applicant still needs to get something signed by a civil surgeon. Does anyone have any experience with this - is it needed? what does the civil surgeon provide? isn't the vaccination report from the I-693 medical sufficient? any other helpful advice?

(2) On the I-485 there is a place for a translator to sign. My wife understands English ok, but some items on the form are not that easy to understand or explain (mainly the yes / no questions re "have you ever" etc.). I have explained to her as best I can the meaning of each statement etc., but I am concerned that at the adjustment interview, the CIS interviewer speaks very quickly (and in some instances with a heavy accent). In other words - I want to preserve my wife's right to a translator at the interview. By not having a translator sign the I-485, does she lose the right to a translator at the interview?

Thanks in advance,

Eric & Off

Timeline

Hi,

We are finishing my wife's adjustment of status papers and just had a couple of questions for the community.

(1) I read on this site - under tips for K1s adjusting status - that if the i-693 (medical exam) was done w/in 1 yr of the app to adjust that a new medical is not needed, HOWEVER, the applicant still needs to get something signed by a civil surgeon. Does anyone have any experience with this - is it needed? what does the civil surgeon provide? isn't the vaccination report from the I-693 medical sufficient? any other helpful advice?

I took the vaccination history we got from our medical in BKK to a civil surgeon and had them sign off on the form and seal it. I found a place in Vegas that did it for free, but all the other civil surgeons I called wanted to charge us 60 for a visit, and then more if it was not complete. I did not send it in with my AOS app, but when we got to the AOS interview, the interviewer asked for it.

(2) On the I-485 there is a place for a translator to sign. My wife understands English ok, but some items on the form are not that easy to understand or explain (mainly the yes / no questions re "have you ever" etc.). I have explained to her as best I can the meaning of each statement etc., but I am concerned that at the adjustment interview, the CIS interviewer speaks very quickly (and in some instances with a heavy accent). In other words - I want to preserve my wife's right to a translator at the interview. By not having a translator sign the I-485, does she lose the right to a translator at the interview?

Thanks in advance,

Eric & Off

I wouldn't worry about the translator portion. Our interviewer went through the questions, and she answered a couple of the Yes/No wrong, and then I explained the question and she corrected her answer and it was no big deal.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.