Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
HEY BILL!!!!!!!!!!!

We can finally put faces to the family...well 3 of them anyway (the important ones :lol: )

Bella and the kids look soooooooo happy. Yenifer and I want to congratulate you again and wish your family a lifetime of happiness. :thumbs:

Thanks Bill! Beautiful family, btw.

Diana

Thanks so much! :)

Hi everyone,

When you have traveled to Colombia in the past, how and where do you exchange currency? I normally send money to Margara Western Union. I don't want her to travel with such a large ammount of money on her. This trip will require much more money than previous trips, what with the doctor and visas and vaccinations. I would prefer to bring it myself. On previous trips, I noticed a currency exchange at the airport in Miami. Is anyone familiar with these airport currency exchanges? I have a feeling they might charge large fees. Worst case I will just send her the money and we can pick it up together in Bogota.

Thanks

john

I just always use my ATM to withdraw COPs from any bank there and do not have the worry of transporting large sums of US dollars and than having to find a place to exchange them with a suitable exchange rate. Why do you not like to withdraw money with your ATM card in Colombia?

Rainman3

Edited by Rainman3

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi everyone,

When you have traveled to Colombia in the past, how and where do you exchange currency? I normally send money to Margara Western Union. I don't want her to travel with such a large ammount of money on her. This trip will require much more money than previous trips, what with the doctor and visas and vaccinations. I would prefer to bring it myself. On previous trips, I noticed a currency exchange at the airport in Miami. Is anyone familiar with these airport currency exchanges? I have a feeling they might charge large fees. Worst case I will just send her the money and we can pick it up together in Bogota.

Thanks

john

John,

As rainman said...use a debt or check card at the cash machines in Colombia and you get the best exchange rates and very low fees. I happen to have Washington Mutual and the transaction fee is a flat 1% and with no added ATM fee (great deal), and as I said you will get the best exchange rate. It's worth looking into...check with your bank. :thumbs:

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Timeline
HEY BILL!!!!!!!!!!!

We can finally put faces to the family...well 3 of them anyway (the important ones :lol: )

Bella and the kids look soooooooo happy. Yenifer and I want to congratulate you again and wish your family a lifetime of happiness. :thumbs:

Diana

Hi everyone,

Thanks

john

John

I suggest using an ATM machine in Bogota. The exchange rate is best here. The airport will not give you the current exchange rate, they make money on every transaction. The atm's are very convienent. Just be aware, your bank will most likely charge an "international transaction fee". Check with your bank ahead of time. Also it is best to inform them where you are traveling to and timeframe. Some credit / debit cards get shut off when used in other countries, as a security measure!!!!

STEVE & SANDY Hill

Our K1 Timeline

Met online - March 30 2007

Sent I129 - June 15 2007

Received - June 18 2007

Check Cashed - June 22 2007

Recieved NOA1 - June 25 2007

Receved NOA2 - November 20 2007 (FINALLY)

NVC received - November 26 2007

NVC mailed DHL to Bogota - November 28 2007

Package received Embassy in Bogota - December 3 2007

Faxed Packet 3 to Embassy - December 3 2007

Interview - January 18 2008 APPROVED

POE - FLL Jan 25 (Hassle free & quick)

Marriage - Feb. 19th 2008

AOS - EAD - AP Timeline

Mailed AOS, EAD & AP - March 13th 2008

Arrived at Chicago Lockbox - March 15 2008

Signature confirmation of delivery - March 16 2008

Check's cashed - March 21 2008

NOA's recieved - March 23 2008

Biometrics - April 16 2008

AP & EAD Received - May 16 2008

AOS Touches - May 14 & 18 2008

AOS card production ordered - June 12 2008

AOS welcome package sent - June 12 2008

Green Card's Recieved (Sandy & Daughter) June 20 2008

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
HEY BILL!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana

Hi everyone,

Thanks

john

John

I suggest using an ATM machine in Bogota. The exchange rate is best here. The airport will not give you the current exchange rate, they make money on every transaction. The atm's are very convienent. Just be aware, your bank will most likely charge an "international transaction fee". Check with your bank ahead of time. Also it is best to inform them where you are traveling to and timeframe. Some credit / debit cards get shut off when used in other countries, as a security measure!!!!

Thanks eveyone. I will call my bank today to check the fees. ATM sounds like a great idea.

john

Domesa delivered the visas today at the apartment in Bogota. She interviewed last Friday so that is 4 business days including the day of the interview.

Can someone please describe to me what is actually delivered by Domesa? She tells me that everything is inside an envelope that cannot be opened until she enters the US. But since she will need her passport to get through the airport in Bogota I am thinking that perhaps there is some confusion somewhere.

Thanks.

Edited by Bill y Bella

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Last time I went I did two things. 1. I sent ½ the money to my husband to pay for some of the stuff. And 2. I took out money out of an ATM machine.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
Hi everyone,

Thanks

john

ATM's are the best way to go.. You can also exchange dollars for pesos at the banks, or vise versa.. They give a much better rate than the kiosks at the airports. There are also people who make a living exchanging dollars on the street.. While living in Colombia this is how I would do it.. But I highly recommend you NEVER do this..

I opened a second account in my local bank and obtained a ATM card for the extra account.. I gave the card to my novia and when she needs money I just transfer the money from my account to hers on line.. This bank cost me about $5.00 per transaction for the Colombian ATM's.. I didn't have time to open the account in the other bank I use that has nee attached fees.. But even at $5.00 a transaction, it's still a lot cheaper the Western Union, etc.. I think you could open a account and send her the ATM card DHL and still save money over Western Union fees..

K-1 Timeline

1-19-'08: I-129F Mailed to VSC

1-20-'08: I-129F Received VSC

1-24-'08: Check Cashed

1-25-'08: NOA 1 Received

3-13-'08: NOA 2

3-17-'08: NVC Received Package

3-31-'08: Embassy sends package 3

4-29-'08: Medical

5-07-'08: Date of Interview

5-15-'08: Visa Approved

5-27-'08: Arrived POE Miami

8-24-'08: Married

AOS Timeline

11-18-'10: AOS Mailed

11-22-'10: AOS Received Chicago, Sign for by S. Bush

12-07-'10: AOS Checks Cashed

12-11-'10: AOS NOA1 Hard Copy Received

12-19-'10: AOS Received Biometrics Letter

12-27-'10: AOS Walked In Biometrics For Both 495 & EAD

01-06-'11: AOS Biometrics Appointment

01-11-'11: EAD Biometrics Appointment

02-11-'11: EAD Notification : On February 11, 2011

03-29-'11: AOS Notification : On March 29, 2011, mailed appointment notice for interview for May 4, 2011

WpEJ.jpgWpEJm5.png

Timeline
Domesa delivered the visas today at the apartment in Bogota. She interviewed last Friday so that is 4 business days including the day of the interview.

Can someone please describe to me what is actually delivered by Domesa? She tells me that everything is inside an envelope that cannot be opened until she enters the US. But since she will need her passport to get through the airport in Bogota I am thinking that perhaps there is some confusion somewhere.

Thanks.

Bill,

Just going through this on January 18th, here is how the package was delivered. First off it was a Domesa Employee as well as an armed security person. ID had to be shown (by whomever you have chosen to receive your visa's. Then Sandy was given two large clear envelopes, one was hers and one her daughters. Inside the clear envelope was the "brown package" with the Passport / visa stapled to the outside. The brown envelope has a paper taped to the front, advising not to be open! This envelope will be opened by Officer at your POE to USA. The visa is actually inserted in the passport book, similier to your passport page. You can see the visa in the passport, and will be needed at the airport. Just do not open the brown envelope under anu circumstances! Hope this helps you!

STEVE & SANDY Hill

Our K1 Timeline

Met online - March 30 2007

Sent I129 - June 15 2007

Received - June 18 2007

Check Cashed - June 22 2007

Recieved NOA1 - June 25 2007

Receved NOA2 - November 20 2007 (FINALLY)

NVC received - November 26 2007

NVC mailed DHL to Bogota - November 28 2007

Package received Embassy in Bogota - December 3 2007

Faxed Packet 3 to Embassy - December 3 2007

Interview - January 18 2008 APPROVED

POE - FLL Jan 25 (Hassle free & quick)

Marriage - Feb. 19th 2008

AOS - EAD - AP Timeline

Mailed AOS, EAD & AP - March 13th 2008

Arrived at Chicago Lockbox - March 15 2008

Signature confirmation of delivery - March 16 2008

Check's cashed - March 21 2008

NOA's recieved - March 23 2008

Biometrics - April 16 2008

AP & EAD Received - May 16 2008

AOS Touches - May 14 & 18 2008

AOS card production ordered - June 12 2008

AOS welcome package sent - June 12 2008

Green Card's Recieved (Sandy & Daughter) June 20 2008

Bill,

Just going through this on January 18th, here is how the package was delivered. First off it was a Domesa Employee as well as an armed security person. ID had to be shown (by whomever you have chosen to receive your visa's. Then Sandy was given two large clear envelopes, one was hers and one her daughters. Inside the clear envelope was the "brown package" with the Passport / visa stapled to the outside. The brown envelope has a paper taped to the front, advising not to be open! This envelope will be opened by Officer at your POE to USA. The visa is actually inserted in the passport book, similier to your passport page. You can see the visa in the passport, and will be needed at the airport. Just do not open the brown envelope under anu circumstances! Hope this helps you!

Thanks Steve. That helps a lot. :)

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and thanks to everyone here, especially the Colombia club thread. I have saved a lot of time and learned quite a few tips.

I was wondering if someone here who has gone thru the K-3 route in Colombia could give me some advice.

I have been planning to send out my I-129F, after receiving the NOA1 on my I-130 petition, which I just received. But there still are a couple of things that I'm not sure about.

I am considering not filing the I-129F and just letting the I-130(CR-1) go thru on it's own (since it would save a few steps). In Colombia is this a good strategy? Or should I stick to the original plan and go ahead and file the I-129F ? My main goal is to be with my wife as soon as possible. I'm not worried about her getting her SS# right away, it would be nice, but definitely not worth an additional delay.

I made 1 mistake, I sent in scanned copies of my wife's G-325A's not the originals. I had an original set of her G-325A's when I left Colombia, but unfortunately after I arrived here, I realized that I had left out some info and her form wasn't filled out right, my mistake. The originals are on their way and should be here by the end of the week. I already received my NOA1, so am I in the clear now or should I still be expecting a RFE ?

I received my NOA1 but no transfer notice. Is this all I will need to file the I-129F or should I wait for the transfer notice, before I proceed?

I sent my I-130 petition out on 2/22/08 and my NOA1 date was 3/3/08, that's just over a week! I hope the other service centers don't hear about this, as I'm sure a reprimand will be handed out to the person who is working on my case, for being too efficient... (they must be new).

Thanks

Timeline
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and thanks to everyone here, especially the Colombia club thread. I have saved a lot of time and learned quite a few tips.

I was wondering if someone here who has gone thru the K-3 route in Colombia could give me some advice.

I have been planning to send out my I-129F, after receiving the NOA1 on my I-130 petition, which I just received. But there still are a couple of things that I'm not sure about.

I am considering not filing the I-129F and just letting the I-130(CR-1) go thru on it's own (since it would save a few steps). In Colombia is this a good strategy? Or should I stick to the original plan and go ahead and file the I-129F ? My main goal is to be with my wife as soon as possible. I'm not worried about her getting her SS# right away, it would be nice, but definitely not worth an additional delay.

I made 1 mistake, I sent in scanned copies of my wife's G-325A's not the originals. I had an original set of her G-325A's when I left Colombia, but unfortunately after I arrived here, I realized that I had left out some info and her form wasn't filled out right, my mistake. The originals are on their way and should be here by the end of the week. I already received my NOA1, so am I in the clear now or should I still be expecting a RFE ?

I received my NOA1 but no transfer notice. Is this all I will need to file the I-129F or should I wait for the transfer notice, before I proceed?

I sent my I-130 petition out on 2/22/08 and my NOA1 date was 3/3/08, that's just over a week! I hope the other service centers don't hear about this, as I'm sure a reprimand will be handed out to the person who is working on my case, for being too efficient... (they must be new).

Thanks

Hi everyone,

In the packet 3 that was sent to Margarita (in spanish), it says that her birth certificate, baptismal certificate, and police report need to be recent. It also say that one should have all documents ready before sending packet 3 back to the embassy. We followed those instructions, and have our interview for April 11. How recent do these documents need to be? On the date of the interview, her documents will be in the range of 60 to 80 days old. People at the DAS office have Mrgarita worried that her documents will not be recent enough for the embassy. I don't know what to think. Any insight is appreciated

thanks

john

Hi everyone,

In the packet 3 that was sent to Margarita (in spanish), it says that her birth certificate, baptismal certificate, and police report need to be recent. It also say that one should have all documents ready before sending packet 3 back to the embassy. We followed those instructions, and have our interview for April 11. How recent do these documents need to be? On the date of the interview, her documents will be in the range of 60 to 80 days old. People at the DAS office have Mrgarita worried that her documents will not be recent enough for the embassy. I don't know what to think. Any insight is appreciated

thanks

john

I do not think the age of Margarita's documents will be a problem. Bella's documents were all older than Margarita's. I would not be concerned about what DAS says about the age of the documents required for the interview.

On the other hand, DAS does dictate how recent the father's permission letter for the children to leave Colombia needs to be and if your letter does not meet that requirement you will have problems at the airport.

My Timeline:

Timeline
Hi everyone,

thanks

john

I do not think the age of Margarita's documents will be a problem. Bella's documents were all older than Margarita's. I would not be concerned about what DAS says about the age of the documents required for the interview.

On the other hand, DAS does dictate how recent the father's permission letter for the children to leave Colombia needs to be and if your letter does not meet that requirement you will have problems at the airport.

Thanks Bill.

Timeline

Thanks

Hello Michael and welcome to VJ and the Colombian Club,

Thank you for reading the thread to get a basic knowledge of what the process is all about.

I got two things for you and they're just my own personal opinion. The first one is that I advise you not to file the I-129F for the K3 for two reasons 1. the USCIS stopped processing I-129F petitions for K3 visas, so if someone files for a K3 they will only process their I-130 petition for a CR1. Nobody knows if this is a permanent decision but it has happened to a lot of people who filed after 07/30/07. The other reason is because the CR1 visa for people going through Bogotá only takes about 1-2 months longer to process and once the beneficiary gets to the States there is nothing else that needs to be done unless their SS card doesn't arrive on time. Food for thought and for you to do some more homework about the possible cancellation of K3 visas.

The other thing is that if you forget to send any document to either the USCIS or the NVC, it's best to wait for them to send you and RFE because if you send it before, they will either not get it or get confused about why you sent it and delay your process even further. You might not even get an RFE but you will probably delay the process if you send something that was not needed in the first place. The best thing is to sit tight and wait.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Here are two VJ threads I found regarding the cancellation of K3 visas for further reading:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112427

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113361

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.