Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Bella and the kids have completed their medicals complete with some new "fresh" and expensive vaccinations. :angry: Now we are on the home stretch. Our interview is February 29th and I will go to Bogota on the 26th.

I have a few questions for those who have completed the process recently.

We might not have any child care available on the day of the interview. Were there any small children at the embassy when you were there? The kids are 2 and 9.

As I recall the DS-156's (1 for each) must be completed in Spanish and printed back to back on 1 sheet of paper to take to the bank to pay the visa fee. Is this correct? If so I have a problem. I can find a current version in spanish that expires in 2010. It must be filled out online but much to my surprise it prints out with the form in english. I have a DS156 pdf I could use but it expired in 2004. Is the embassy sending the 2004 version in spanish in package 4? If not, does anyone have a current DS-156 in spanish?

Thanks!

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Bella and the kids have completed their medicals complete with some new "fresh" and expensive vaccinations. :angry: Now we are on the home stretch. Our interview is February 29th and I will go to Bogota on the 26th.

I have a few questions for those who have completed the process recently.

We might not have any child care available on the day of the interview. Were there any small children at the embassy when you were there? The kids are 2 and 9.

As I recall the DS-156's (1 for each) must be completed in Spanish and printed back to back on 1 sheet of paper to take to the bank to pay the visa fee. Is this correct? If so I have a problem. I can find a current version in spanish that expires in 2010. It must be filled out online but much to my surprise it prints out with the form in english. I have a DS156 pdf I could use but it expired in 2004. Is the embassy sending the 2004 version in spanish in package 4? If not, does anyone have a current DS-156 in spanish?

Thanks!

Bill,

I know that you're nerves are working on you...we were there not so long ago :wacko:

Don't worry about the kids because there were kids from babies to teens at the embassy when we were there...

Also as far as the DS-156...the bank will have what you need and it will take all of 10 minutes to fill out so don't bother to stress about that.

(just be sure to fill out an extra copy for the embassy while you're there...1 for the bank and 1 for the embassy)

As I gather from your posts, and the help that you have given others (including Yenifer and I) here at Colombia Club, you are very well prepared and I know that you will have no problem... :thumbs:

Edited by Scott n Yenifer

Scott

K1 TIMELINE

04/31/07-Sent out I-129F

05/03/07-NOA1"priority date"

08/20/07-Received hard copy of NOA1...HOORAAY!

09/21/07-NOA2 "APPROVED"

09/26/07-NOA2 Hardcopy

10/31/07-NVC mailed I-129F to Bogota via DHL

11/09/07-Called Dept. of State and interview is set for 12/12/07

12/07/07-Yenifer and I arrive in Bogota

12/12/07-VISA "APPROVED"

12/19/07-Point Of Entry: Miami

01/23/08-Married

AOS, EAD + AP TIMELINE

02/25/08-Mailed AOS, EAD + AP

02/26/08-Packet arrived in Chicago

03/06/08-NOAs received

03/25/08-Biometrics appointment

05/05/08-EAD received

05/09/08-AP received

06/30/08-Card production ordered

07/15/08-Received card today!!!

LIFT CONDITIONS (I-751)

03/15/10-File to lift conditions

03/19/10-NOA1 I-751 receipt notice

03/26/10-NOA2 biometrics scheduled

04/22/10-Biometrics appointment

06/14/10-Card production ordered

Bill,

I know that you're nerves are working on you...we were there not so long ago :wacko:

Don't worry about the kids because there were kids from babies to teens at the embassy when we were there...

Also as far as the DS-156...the bank will have what you need and it will take all of 10 minutes to fill out so don't bother to stress about that.

(just be sure to fill out an extra copy for the embassy while you're there...1 for the bank and 1 for the embassy)

As I gather from your posts, and the help that you have given others (including Yenifer and I) here at Colombia Club, you are very well prepared and I know that you will have no problem... :thumbs:

Thanks Scott. :)

I am not sure if it is a good idea to take the kids or not. On one hand I think they will have a very hard time denying us if I am standing there with the baby in my arms. On the other hand, if it turns out to be one of those days and the kids are a pain it could increase the stress level considerably.

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Bill,

I am not sure if it is a good idea to take the kids or not. On one hand I think they will have a very hard time denying us if I am standing there with the baby in my arms. On the other hand, if it turns out to be one of those days and the kids are a pain it could increase the stress level considerably.

Billy, just sticking my nose in (hopefully not where it doesn't belong). Margarita and I have been going back and forth on whether or not to bring Daniela with us. Daniela is 8 years old. We finally decided not to bring her with us. She would have to miss too much school and I too am scared of "one of those days". Good luck

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
Bill,

Billy, just sticking my nose in (hopefully not where it doesn't belong). Margarita and I have been going back and forth on whether or not to bring Daniela with us. Daniela is 8 years old. We finally decided not to bring her with us. She would have to miss too much school and I too am scared of "one of those days". Good luck

Bill and John,

I don't know that it was different because we were going for a K-3, but Lorena and I went to the interview without the kids. While she was 'tentatively' approved that day, she was required to bring the boys to the embassy the following day to show the officer that the boys did, indeed, exist. Only then was she granted the visas. While it may be different with different folks - or different officers - you might give thought to taking the kids. It could mean saving another trip, especially if your SO doesn't live in Bogota and doesn't bring the kids along to Bogota the first go-round. Best of luck to you all!!!

Charles

Timeline
Bill,

Bill and John,

I don't know that it was different because we were going for a K-3, but Lorena and I went to the interview without the kids. While she was 'tentatively' approved that day, she was required to bring the boys to the embassy the following day to show the officer that the boys did, indeed, exist. Only then was she granted the visas. While it may be different with different folks - or different officers - you might give thought to taking the kids. It could mean saving another trip, especially if your SO doesn't live in Bogota and doesn't bring the kids along to Bogota the first go-round. Best of luck to you all!!!

Charles

Thanks for the heads up Charles. Margarita and Daniela live in Medellin, so it would be a huge burden to make another trip. I wish they would stick to what the instructions say. It clearly states that "children under 14 years of age who are not the beneficiaries of individual petitions do not have to come to the interview" I certainly do not doubt you Charles, but this is the type of nonsense that frustrates me so much. Even when you follow their instructions, you aren't guaranteed that you are doing the right thing.

john

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
Thanks for the heads up Charles. Margarita and Daniela live in Medellin, so it would be a huge burden to make another trip. I wish they would stick to what the instructions say. It clearly states that "children under 14 years of age who are not the beneficiaries of individual petitions do not have to come to the interview" I certainly do not doubt you Charles, but this is the type of nonsense that frustrates me so much. Even when you follow their instructions, you aren't guaranteed that you are doing the right thing.

john

John,

My guess is that the folks at the embassy have a lot of latitude in making such a decision. The "rules" we get may say one thing, but if there's a doubt in the mind of the interviewing officer, he/she can pursue it further. Part of why they may have required my wife to bring the boys is the difference in our ages - though our interviewer never asked a single question about that or referred to it in any way. Who knows? Maybe they require that one of every five bring in the kids. It all goes back to what many here have said before - it's better to be over-prepared (and not need any of it) than the other way around. In any case, I wish you guys all the luck in the world. However, if you prepare like the folks here suggest, you won't need too much luck. ;)

Charles

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
I'm so happy..we have our interview on March 31st :dancing:

Congrats! :dance: Hope everything goes great for you!

Lots of luck and let us know how everything turns out!

10/17/07...Lawyer sent overnight to USCIS...
07/17/08...VISA RECEIVED!
POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics
11/10/08...EAD and AP approved!
12/27/08...Appointment letter received
02/20/09...Appointment at local Santa Ana office
02/28/09...GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/01/2010...Mailed I-751 for removal of conditions.
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics
03/10/2011...Card Production ordered!! Approval 10 Year Green Card!
**/**/****....card received

Naturalization Process

05/04/2013 application submitted

05/25/2013 biometrics done

06/25/2013 Noa received

07/29/2013 Naturalization Interview

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Timeline
I'm so happy..we have our interview on March 31st :dancing:

OSITA CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

That is wonderful...i will be praying for your success at the interview.

A little bit of good news I would like to share...our application was approved yesterday NOA2. I am waiting with the cover letter, the ds230 part I, and the OF169 with picture of her p-port to send via fax to embassy.

Just want to verify that once it leaves the NVC headed to US Embassy Bogota is when it is assigned a BGT # or is it assigned the BGT # once it is approved and headed to NVC?

Quick verification

Thanks

OSITA again many contrats on your scheduled interview...you can see the finish line.

God Bless

I-129F

October 11, 2006 Met

January 12, 2007 Went on Vacation Santa Marta Colombia

February 12, 2007 Went to Bogota to spend US Valentines togehter

March 15, 2007 Went back to Bogota more time togethter

April 13, 2007 Back to Bogota for my love

May 19, 2007 sent I-129F (Vertmont)

May 24, 2007 received NOA1

June 24, 2007 Back to Bogota for my LOOOOVE!

July 5, 2007 RFE

July 16, 2007 Received Evidence (wait 60 days)

Sept 13, 2007 Touch (told to wait...maybe 30-45 more days)

Sept 19, 2007 Touch (told 60 day window is actual working days aaaagh!)

Oct 11, 2007 Touched called USCIS for status and went to my local office (no help...still waiting)

Nov 5, 2007 Recvd notice of denial for divorce decree signature date

Nov 6 -30 2007 Met w local Senator, local Homeland Secrty Office, Touch USCIS office

Nov 30, 2007 Refiled at greater expense, and now longer delay

Dec 6, 2007 NOA1

Feb 20, 2008 NOA2 (Approved application I-129F)

Feb 25, 2008 Application Recvd by NVC (NVC forwarding application to US Embassy Bogota via DHL today)

Feb 28, 2008 application received by Embassy via DHL per NVC

Mar 3 sent fax of packet 3 to US Embassy Bogota (waiting for embassy to send packet 3 to apt in Bogota)

Mar 14 called NVC again & found our packet 3 mailed on 3/13/08 & our interview was scheduled for 4/17/08

Mar 19 received packet 3 from US Embassy

April 17, 2008 We ARE APPROVED!!!

April 22, VISA in hand

May 27, Arrive in the US

Remember God is in the blessing business, and business is always good

Timeline

WOW! Congrats are in order for you too Santa Marta! Yay for you! Finally your wait is over!

As for the BGT# I believe it is assigned once it has been received by the NVC...now in not sure since I haven't been approved yet :crying: ... but thats what I have picked up from other posters here in colombia club.

I hope everything is well! :thumbs: Good luck on everything and I hope your with your girl soon!

Kind Regards,

Diana B

10/17/07...Lawyer sent overnight to USCIS...
07/17/08...VISA RECEIVED!
POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics
11/10/08...EAD and AP approved!
12/27/08...Appointment letter received
02/20/09...Appointment at local Santa Ana office
02/28/09...GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/01/2010...Mailed I-751 for removal of conditions.
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics
03/10/2011...Card Production ordered!! Approval 10 Year Green Card!
**/**/****....card received

Naturalization Process

05/04/2013 application submitted

05/25/2013 biometrics done

06/25/2013 Noa received

07/29/2013 Naturalization Interview

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Timeline

BGT case numbers are assigned once NVC receives and reviews your file.

K1

1/22/07: I-129F sent to CSC

1/23/07: I-129F packet received and signed for at 9:45A.M.!!

1/29/07: NOA1

4/27/07: NOA2

5/01/07: NOA2 Hardcopy received

5/10/07: Approval arrives at NVC

5/14/07: Leaves NVC

5/17/07: Arrives at Bogota, Colombia

5/18/07: Packet 3 faxed to Embassy

5/22/07: Packet 3 sent via courier

5/30/07: Wendy receives packet 3 (Good thing we used the shortcut)

6/04/07: Packet 4 received

7/03/07: Medical appt. scheduled

7/05/07: Interview!!!! VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

7/09/07: Visa in hand!!!

7/11/07: Point of Entry at LAX, complete success!!!!!!!!!!

7/24/07: Married!!!

AOS & EAD

07/27/07: Filed for AOS & EAD

08/02/07: Arrives at Chicago

09/10/07: NOA1

09/11/07: Social Security card in hand

10/12/07: Biometrics appointment

10/25/07: EAD Approved

01/23/08: Interview = APPROVED

02/02/08: Green Card received...10 day turn around, not bad!!!

Removing Conditions

11/12/09: Mailed to CSC!

11/13/09: Arrives at CSC!

11/16/09: NOA1

11/18/09: Check Cashed!

12/14/09: Biometrics

01/07/10: Card Production Ordered (APPROVED)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

FYI, it does seem that K3 visas are no longer being processed by the USCIS. So if new members are interested in filing for this type of visa for their wives/husbands, you should call the USCIS before you file and see if the CR1/IR1 is your only option at this time (which is a blessing in disguise in my opinion).

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.