KeithandTan

What to prepare after I-129f petition approval

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

I don't doubt that this information has been posted on this site numerous times, and I feel like I've seen it before, but I can't seem to track it down now. If anyone can send me a link, I'd be very grateful.

I just checked the USCIS website, and as of today, our I-129f was approved. I need to start preparing paperwork for the next phase, including documentation for sponsorship. If anyone knows where to find that info, please let me know. Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi, I have lots of information for you.

1) In this forum on K-1 Fiancees Process and Procedures is another thread that is very long called SAWASDEE 3. Please look for it and enter a post introducing yourself etc... This is the Thailand thread and we have many good Thailand specific members.

2) In general, questions after the I-129F approval are about the Embassy/Consulate and a lot of I-134 questions. These should be posted in a different forum called US Embassy and Consulate Discussion because that is what you will now prepare for.

3) For Thailand only, use the following link:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/packets.html

4) After you confirm your package has arrived at NVC you will get a BNK#. Wait until NVC informs you your package has been shipped to Bangkok. Wait 5 days not counting weekends and the numerous Thai holidays like today, The Royal Plowing Ceremony, and email the Embassy to confirm you are in the system.

By the way, Congratulations on I-129F approval. Good luck with the next steps.

Edited by Audy_Rob

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Timeline

Thank you so much. A follow-up question. My fiancee and I both live and work in Bangkok, though she is a Filipino citizen, we're processing at the Bangkok embassy. Does the Thailand information still apply? I would think so, right?

Timeline

Good thing you said that. In general, yes, the Thailand Packet 3 is what you want. Your fiancee will be interviewing in Bangkok so you should use their Packet 3.

1) You will want to jump on getting the Police Certificate from the Philippines so get that started. For information on how to get the Philippine Police Certificate you can search the Reciprocity Table at the Department of State web site.

Look for Police Records on the page at this link.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3650.html

2) Not to be nosy or asking personal questions, but for reasons of preparing the proper papers, does your fiancee have a child that will also be coming to the USA?

3) Make sure the birth places match up between birth certificates and her passport. Be careful and consisten in her birth place on all documents.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Thank you so much for your assistance Audy_Rob.

Neither of us have any children or prior marriages.

Also, we've both been in Thailand for around 3 years. Do we need police clearance information from Thailand? Do I need police clearance from the US as well? Or is the only police clearance involved here for her in the Philippines?

Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Also, we've both been in Thailand for around 3 years. Do we need police clearance information from Thailand? Do I need police clearance from the US as well? Or is the only police clearance involved here for her in the Philippines?

Thanks again!

If you both live in Thailand, why don't you get married and go the DCF route? Probably much quicker.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

If you both live in Thailand, why don't you get married and go the DCF route? Probably much quicker.

Yes, that was an option but they already have the I-129F approved. All they need to do now is fill out Packet 3 and wait 4 to 6 weeks for an interview so I thought since they are done with the I-129F, don't bring up the DCF.

What do you think rsn? They are maybe 8 weeks away.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Thanks again!

OK, Keith, you are the USC and will not interview nor even be allowed into the Embassy while your fiancee interviews. From here on out, it is almost all about your fiancee.

1) Your fiancee will require a police certificate from the Philippines if she lived there for more than 12 months after reaching the age of 16.

2) Only your fiancee will require a police certificate from Thailand. Go to the Royal Police office in Bangkok near Siam Square. There are directions and a map on the web site for the police certificate. One thing that does not seem mentioned in the instructions for getting a police certificate in Bangkok is she will need a copy of your passport name page with picture. They ask for this when she says she is requesting the police certificate for a US Visa.

3) The biggest thing you need to do Keith is start preparing your I-134 Affidavit of Support. Please go to the USCIS web site at www.uscis.gov and click on Forms in the upper left. Then scroll down to the I-134 section, and down load and print a copy of the I-134 instructions and I-134 form.

4) With no children I will skip a lot of unneccessary information.

5) Are you guys planning to move to the USA after your fiancee gets the K-1 visa? She has 6 months to enter the USA on the K-1 visa. Then after entering, you need to marry and adjust her status (AOS) within 90 days. If you did not know this or are not planning on coming to the USA so soon, maybe abandoning the I-129F petition and waiting is a good idea. Then you could do the DCF route later. It depends on your plans to move to the USA.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, that was an option but they already have the I-129F approved. All they need to do now is fill out Packet 3 and wait 4 to 6 weeks for an interview so I thought since they are done with the I-129F, don't bring up the DCF.

What do you think rsn? They are maybe 8 weeks away.

Perhaps, but I was going somewhere with that. Before I recite procedures, I like to point out potential problems. The potential problem here involves the I-134. BKK doesn't usually seem to accept co-sponsors for K1s, and since he has lived in Thailand for 3 years, I'm guessing he does not have a job in the U.S.

Keith - are you going to attempt a co-sponsor?

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Ning also posted recently Bangkok does not accept a joint sponsor, but in two cases both were students with job plans after graduation, in those cases Bangkok accepted a joint sponsor. She had a very good post. I can find it if necessary.

But the I-134 will be a problem since I don't think they normally will accept a job offer letter as proof of employment.

Edited by Audy_Rob

Naturalization N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.