Toastburglar

Trying to remove conditions while moving across country

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all! I'm about to file to remove the conditions on my permanent residency. My 2 year anniversary in the US is July 3rd.

A week from tomorrow we (my hubby, daughter, and I) are moving to NYC from Florida. We have a house in Florida that we are keeping for now.

My husband has a 2 month trial period at his new job in NYC. We will be subletting an apartment during this trial period, and if we stay permanently we will then lease an apartment and consider selling the Florida house.

As soon as we get to NYC we will get a PO box and use that as our return mailing address. We will then send the application. The biometrics appointment will hopefully be within the next two months when I am guaranteed to still be in NYC. We will keep the PO box until everything is finalized.

Does this sound like it will work?

Will they be suspicious that our supporting documents all have the Florida address? (including our mortgage)

Will they accept a PO box as a return mailing address?

Should I explain in the cover letter what is going on?

Can I change my last name when I file this, or would that make things over the top complicated? (I have already changed my last name on my social security card)

Worst. Timing. Ever.

Hello all! I'm about to file to remove the conditions on my permanent residency. My 2 year anniversary in the US is July 3rd.

A week from tomorrow we (my hubby, daughter, and I) are moving to NYC from Florida. We have a house in Florida that we are keeping for now.

My husband has a 2 month trial period at his new job in NYC. We will be subletting an apartment during this trial period, and if we stay permanently we will then lease an apartment and consider selling the Florida house.

As soon as we get to NYC we will get a PO box and use that as our return mailing address. We will then send the application. The biometrics appointment will hopefully be within the next two months when I am guaranteed to still be in NYC. We will keep the PO box until everything is finalized.

Will they be suspicious that our supporting documents all have the Florida address? (including our mortgage)

Can I change my last name when I file this, or would that make things over the top complicated? (I have already changed my last name on my social security card)

Worst. Timing. Ever.

Also, I have to be in Canada on July 10th. Is this going to be possible?

Toastburglar's Timeline

Married Feb 14/07

mailed I-130 May 25/07

never got NOA1 :)

NOA2 Oct 17/07

Case complete Mar 26/08

Medical June 3/08

Interview June 13/08

Visa received June 16/08

Crossed border July 3/08

Wedding celebration Feb 13/09

Susana Faith born July 16/09!!!

Worst. Timing. Ever.

Also, I have to be in Canada on July 10th. Is this going to be possible?

Hi,

I can answer some of your questions -

1. Yes - traveling on July 10th will be very possible as when USCIS receives your I-751 application, they will send you a letter extending your GC for 1 year. This extension will allow you to travel and work.

2. As for supporting documents, you need to change your address (using AR-11) and you can include in the cover letter that you have recently moved with your husband due to a job opportunity and you can also include a copy of the offer or what ever document the company provided him. I wouldn't think they would be suspicious since you can show that both of you lived in FL and just recently a change occurred in your life that caused you to move... they happen all the time.

3. Not sure about the P.O Box but I have a feeling that they will not - check the forms and maybe someone else will answer this questions for you.

4. As for your last name, I've heard that if you are planning on applying for naturalization, it will be much better to do it then, but I am not sure about the actuality of it. Someone might provide you with their own experience.

hope this helps!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I can answer some of your questions -

1. Yes - traveling on July 10th will be very possible as when USCIS receives your I-751 application, they will send you a letter extending your GC for 1 year. This extension will allow you to travel and work.

2. As for supporting documents, you need to change your address (using AR-11) and you can include in the cover letter that you have recently moved with your husband due to a job opportunity and you can also include a copy of the offer or what ever document the company provided him. I wouldn't think they would be suspicious since you can show that both of you lived in FL and just recently a change occurred in your life that caused you to move... they happen all the time.

3. Not sure about the P.O Box but I have a feeling that they will not - check the forms and maybe someone else will answer this questions for you.

4. As for your last name, I've heard that if you are planning on applying for naturalization, it will be much better to do it then, but I am not sure about the actuality of it. Someone might provide you with their own experience.

hope this helps!

Thanks!

Toastburglar's Timeline

Married Feb 14/07

mailed I-130 May 25/07

never got NOA1 :)

NOA2 Oct 17/07

Case complete Mar 26/08

Medical June 3/08

Interview June 13/08

Visa received June 16/08

Crossed border July 3/08

Wedding celebration Feb 13/09

Susana Faith born July 16/09!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.