munkeynutts

Lawyer said I needed a medical exam, so I did, but I don't. DS-3025 form no longer valid (according to physician I didn't need to see- apparently)...

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all.

Since I arrived in the US on my K-1 visa and got married, a friend of mine said, "Things only get easier and simpler now". Ok, so here's my story.

Me and my fiancee went to see our immigration lawyer just to check over and confirm what we need to do next in the K-1 visa process. So, as advised by him, I went to the Med Center in Houston today to have a medical and to fill out an I-693 (Record of a medical exam). Medical cost: $125.

However, I've already had a medical exam at a US Embassy-approved medical center in the UK, prior to my visa interview. This happened November 2009.

Did I really need a second medical, or did the lawyer get this wrong?

Also, while at the exam, the physician stated that my DS-3025 (vaccination record) that I presented him, was out of date. It was an "old, out-of date form". according to him. Also, he said that it may be refused by immigration because there is two different people's handwriting on it. Well, it's already been through immigration has it not? No problems up to now! Story is, I got my vaccination record from the medical center in London, and a woman there wrote 'K1' next to the two required vaccinations. She offered me the shots there and then for an extra £100 or so, but I opted to have them done for free on the NHS at my local doctor. So, I took my DS-3025 to my doctor, got the shots, and she wrote in the columns the shots I got, put the date in the 'date received' column, and stamped the back of the form with the doctor's surgery address and phone number (an official business stamp). So the doctor today had a problem with that. Two people have touched it, AND, according to him, the form is out of date!

Then, just before I left, he said, "Oh, you also need a Hepatitus-B shot, for $75. We can do that for you today".

So, why did the medical center in London not mention that I needed a Hep-B shot? Why did I only need a Tetanus and MMR, and not a Hep-B?

Also, prior to my appointment today, the doctor at the medical center in Houston said my medical insurance will not cover the cost of my medical and that he only accepts cash. BUT, when I filled out the registration form when I was there, I had to fill in my medical insurance details/plan number! Are they going to bill my medical insurance company also? Sounds fishy?

So, so confusing all this.

I am now feeling that I have had one medical too many (at the advice of my lawyer), and that I am being taken for a ride by the doctor I saw today!

Thanks in advance for any comments that could shed some light on all this!

Martin (Martin & Shawnie)

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-10

I-797 Received: 2009-09-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-06

Interview Date : 2010-02-03

Interview Result : Disastrous.

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received : 2010-02-24

US Entry : 2010-02-25

Marriage : 2010-03-22

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 115 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1 medical to many.

All you needed was the I-693 vaccination portion filled out and signed off by the civil surgeon. Your medical from your K-1 is good for 1year. You could have just gone with that and the 693 vac part and been fine.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You shouldn't have had to have a whole new medical but if you had any incomplete shots you most likely would have gotten an RFE sending in the form you did (and other doctors can't sign it, only the CS, so having the other DR fill in the info on it doesn't fulfil the requirements of the form) You should have only had to get the vaccination portion of the I-693 filled, as Inky said, which depending on the Dr. can range anywhere from $25-75.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Darn it. Maybe I'll tell my lawyer he gave me the wrong info. Maybe he'll give me the $125 I paid! Imagine trying that, getting money out of a lawyer! ;)

I guess I never knew that my vaccinations weren't up to date, as the doctor in London didn't seem to think so. She said I needed Tetanus and MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella). She should know ALL vaccinations I need to progress through the US K-1 visa process?

My next meeting with the lawyer may get heated!

Thanks all.

Martin.

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

Timeline

Darn it. Maybe I'll tell my lawyer he gave me the wrong info. Maybe he'll give me the $125 I paid! Imagine trying that, getting money out of a lawyer! ;)

I guess I never knew that my vaccinations weren't up to date, as the doctor in London didn't seem to think so. She said I needed Tetanus and MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella). She should know ALL vaccinations I need to progress through the US K-1 visa process?

My next meeting with the lawyer may get heated!

Thanks all.

Martin.

lol. good luck with that!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Went to see the doctor on saturday to pick up my TB skin test results and my sealed package for immigration. Also sat there and told the doctor that I didn't actually need the medical I had with him on thursday and that my lawyer mistakenly told me I needed one. It was sort of a congratulatory message for the doctor - you made money out of me you shouldn't of! I also told the doctor that he is wrong to suggest I need a Hep-B shot, as I have found out that you only need one at age 18 and under. Felt kind of weird telling the doctor what's what! He said, "Ok, you do what you want. You may get rejected. Your risk".

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Processing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.