Brenda2010

DS 230

8 posts in this topic

Got our NOA2 last week, waiting for Packet 3, thought I'd get a jump on the forms. Came to question 25 'List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States' and almost had a heart attack.

I've been to the US at least 50 times (travelling to approx 8 states for both business and pleasure), dating back to the 70s, can't imagine they'd require that much detail.

Anyone in the same situation? How did you/are you handling this question? Thanks in advance.

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a previous relationship with someone in the US between 2005 - 2006, and for the life of me I couldn't remember the dates. I attached the list of visits I could remember, and put a footnote that I visited various times in 2005 through Detroit but don't remember the dates. They accepted it without any questions.

I think they're primarily concerned that your list roughly matches up with their USCBP database list within the last year or so. If you're concerned, you could file a FOIA request with USCBP for your entry records, though you may not get them for a while (though at the latest, they have to respond within 20 business days).

Canadians are in an odd position compared with most, since we don't need a visa to enter. My guess is that this question is much more useful to the Dept. of State when the applicant needs a visa to even enter the US, which isn't the case here. Try to get all of your recent visits (within the last two years at least, let's say) and list "various visits" and where you entered otherwise. State that you were always inspected by a USCBP officer upon entry.

The DS160 only requires the last five visits, by comparison.

Edited by Spoom

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Got our NOA2 last week, waiting for Packet 3, thought I'd get a jump on the forms. Came to question 25 'List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States' and almost had a heart attack.

I've been to the US at least 50 times (travelling to approx 8 states for both business and pleasure), dating back to the 70s, can't imagine they'd require that much detail.

Anyone in the same situation? How did you/are you handling this question? Thanks in advance.

:lol: @ "almost had a heart attack." I had the same reaction when I first came across this question. But as I got into it, it wasn't so bad. Here's what I did--feel free to use if it suits you:

1) Search all my emails for flight & Amtrak confirmations (I book all my travel online)

2) Search any boarding passes, receipts, etc

3) Look at my passport for B2 visa entry stamps

4) In a word document, create a table with the following columns:

- No.

- From Date (MM/DD/YY)

- To Date (MM/DD/YY)

- Location (or destination--I was specific, e.g. City, State)

- Type of Visa (if known) - Usually it's a B2 visa

- "A" Number (if known) - this colum is blank for me

Title of document:

Addendum to DS – 230 Part I – Biographic Data

35. List dates of all previous visits to or residence in the United States. Give type of visa status, if known. Give DHS “A” number if any.

Header: Name of Petitioner, Name of Beneficiary, Visa Preference Category and NVC Case number

Footer: Addendum to DS-230 Part I, page # of #

By the time I was finished filling the table, I had over 65 visits, with dates going back to summer 2005, when I first met my USC hubby.

Edited by Revenesque

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

This comes up frequently and we faced this as well. I don't have the travel record to the USA that you do but as others have said here, I simply put on the DS230 two entries and the last line I added "see supplemental form attached' etc....then I did a Word document and set it up the same way. I titled it Supplemental Sheet DS230 re Question 35 etc. I then put it in the same format that they had on the DS230 ie mm/dd/yyyy to, location, when etc And I completed it best I could. You can also mention, as I did, that you took frequent trips including day trips from year whatever to whatever, of which you don't recall the dates and don't have evidence/information of those crossings etc. I think with Canadians and not requiring a visa, it's not so much an issue. that's what we did and so far so good.

It shouldn't be a problem although it is an annoyance. I had to do the same thing with listing all educational institutions etc. So another supplemantal sheet but it answered the question.

Good luck

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance' made a similar list to those noted above in Word in a table with the required information on the actual form. There were a couple where we said "summer 1974" since he couldn't remember and his parents couldn't remember specific dates. Plus back then a passport wasn't required for travel to the U.S. from Canada so I am not sure that the customs and border patrol would have any "specific" record of his entrance.

With the actual online form, SAVE OFTEN. We lost the list of travel and the list of educational institutions twice because the program times out so fast. Basically every time you switch pages, save the application to your harddrive so you won't have to type the information in AGAIN.

Thanks all for your advice, really appreciate it - heart attack successfully avoided!

Yes, probably record of travel to/from US isn't a big deal for Canadians - that said, I'll definitely do the supplement...although, there's gonna be a lot of 'date not remembered' fields on that table!

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I just put the major trips I remembered and then for the rest using a separate sheet I put something like "from the age of 16 to 27 I made numerous trips to the US and back." There was no way I was going to remember all the trips I made to the US seeing as how for about 15 years I only lived about 40 minutes from the border...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Hi,

I too had this question as I have crossed the border many times living only 10 min. away for years. I would cross to fill with gas. NVC said to put the dates I could remember and just explain what I told them. So I filled out a supplementary form to add to the packet.

They want to know if you have ever been on business or previously resided there, so if you have only been a "visitor" just state that.:thumbs:That's all you should need.

Cheers Jewel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.