4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I went to our local SSN Office, which is in Madison, IN. They told us that they need a form I-551 or atleast a stamp would work to obtain her social security card with her correct name on it now that we are married. I am just wondering how to obtain this form I-551?

I 551 is the green card itself. Why they couldn't just say that, I'll never know...!

You could have gotten the SSN for her before you got married (see the SSN guide on this site), but, water under the bridge at this point!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I 551 is the green card itself. Why they couldn't just say that, I'll never know...!

You could have gotten the SSN for her before you got married (see the SSN guide on this site), but, water under the bridge at this point!

Well, we already have her social security card. The problem is, it doesn't have her married name on it; that's why we have to get it changed to her married name. Which is the name we used to file for AOS and EAD concurrently. Is there any hope to get it changed anytime soon ?

Oh - I thought she didn't have the card.

There's not any reason that they can't change her name. All she has to present proof of her identity (passport) and the legal reason for the name change (your marriage certificate). I think whom ever you spoke to is just being thick (not abnormal for SSA workers).

I lifted the below from a post by I Quit, likely the most knowledgeable member about all things SSN related:

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership

https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110212055

B. Evidence of new name

Accept a name change document based on marriage, civil union or domestic partnership as evidence of the new name be shown on the card, if the new name can be derived from the document.

Any of the following changes to the last name, using the names shown on the evidence, are permitted:

-- bride takes the groom’s last name;

-- groom takes bride’s last name;

-- spouse or partner takes the other parties’ last name;

-- spouse or partner takes one part of the other parties’ compound surname;

-- compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s or partner’s original surname for either or both parties...

D. Example of acceptable evidence to process a name change based on marriage

Lisa Foster submits evidence of the name change event, her US ceremonial marriage to Bryan Lee-Walsh. She wants to change her surname to a compound surname, Foster Lee, with only part of Bryan’s surname. Since this new name can be derived from the prior names shown on the marriage document, the marriage document is acceptable evidence of the new name. We may also change Lisa’s surname to one of the following if she requests it:

-- WALSH,

-- LEE-WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen),

-- LEE FOSTER (with or without space or hyphen, Foster Lee could also have a hyphen or not have a space)

-- FOSTER WALSH (or reverse, with or without space or hyphen)

-- FOSTER LEE WALSH (in any order, with or without spaces or hyphens)

The marriage document can also be used as acceptable evidence of identity, if it shows Lisa’s prior name (Lisa Foster) and either her age, birth date, or parents’ names, that matches the data on the Numident, and if the marriage took place within the prior two years.

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

-- Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.