bond

"Diplom" degree from Germany - convert into US degree?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys!

I am from Germany and I am finishing school right now.

I will move to the U.S. in May (K1 visa).

I will have a German diploma degree "Diplom Kaufmann".

I was going to school for 11 Semesters. I did three internship (each one betwenn 3 - 6 months full time) and a study abroad program for 2 Semesters.

Is it necessary to convert my degree? The school will give me a English translation, is this one enough when I apply for jobs in the U.S.?

There are some agencies which are offering a service to convert foreign degrees. Which one could you recommend to use? How expensive is this process?

I hope that my degree equals an american "Master degree".

Does anyone had experience with this?

thanks,

Adam

Filed: Other Timeline

It converts to an M.B.A. which is good stuff. Yes, you need to have it converted, as the educational systems of Germany and the rest of the World are quite different.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

can you recommend me a agency?

I don't think you need to convert your degree in order to apply for a job. At least I didn't, and I know of many people who have degrees from abroad and who didn't need to do that. But when I needed to further my education, I needed to convert my degree. I used the services of http://www.wes.org/

they are well recognized organization.

Good luck.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

The evaluation of your foreign degree highly depends on the type of college you went to. Here is an example:

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) = Bachelor of Science

Dipl.-Ing. (TU/Uni) = Master of Science

Some people say that all Dipl.-Ing. are Master of Scienes in the USA but this is not true, which I have experienced on my own. I have a Dipl.-Ing. (FH) degree and got it evaluated as a B.Sc. Now I am persuing a M.Sc. at Johns Hopkins University.

Anyways, for job hunting purposes you don't need an evaluation necessarily (unless they ask for one). When I didn't have my evaluation yet, I put something like this on my resume: Diploma (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) in Environmental Engineering.

Also, a rough estimate are your Leistungspunkte. 1 Leistungspunkt equals 0.5 US credits. If your Leistungspunkte convert to about 120-130 US credits, your degree is considered a BA/B.Sc. If they convert to 150 or more US credits, then you would probably receive a master's degree for your German degree.

K-1

07-12-2004 NOA1

12-13-2004 Approved

AOS

05-25-2005 NOA1

09-20-2005 Approved

I-751

07-25-2007 NOA1

12-02-2009 Approved

N-400

05-11-2010 NOA

07-29-2010 Interview + Oath Ceremony

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I had a similar case these days when I came back to US. The German diploma wasn't considered equal to the Master of Science degree. But when it comes to applying at jobs, especially in the engineering fields, the German diploma is highly valued by the employers simply because of the quality and practical education that is given in Germany.

The best thing about studying in Germany is the free tuition public universities. You just have to learn German and you'll be saving a lot of money and skipping the loan debt everyone is getting in these days because of the system.

Since this is a visa forum, I'd share this article I found on Visa requirements for foreign students who want to study in Germany http://www.mawista.com/en/study-in-germany/visa-and-entry-requirements/

One great thing is that the German law doesn't stop you from working part time jobs while studying which later, after you finish your studies, can lead to full-time jobs if you want to stay and live in Germany as well.

Filed: Other Timeline

The evaluation of your foreign degree highly depends on the type of college you went to. Here is an example:

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) = Bachelor of Science

Dipl.-Ing. (TU/Uni) = Master of Science

Some people say that all Dipl.-Ing. are Master of Scienes in the USA but this is not true, which I have experienced on my own. I have a Dipl.-Ing. (FH) degree and got it evaluated as a B.Sc. Now I am persuing a M.Sc. at Johns Hopkins University.

Anyways, for job hunting purposes you don't need an evaluation necessarily (unless they ask for one). When I didn't have my evaluation yet, I put something like this on my resume: Diploma (equivalent to Bachelor of Science) in Environmental Engineering.

Also, a rough estimate are your Leistungspunkte. 1 Leistungspunkt equals 0.5 US credits. If your Leistungspunkte convert to about 120-130 US credits, your degree is considered a BA/B.Sc. If they convert to 150 or more US credits, then you would probably receive a master's degree for your German degree.

Correct.

On the same token, a Diplomkaufmann (Uni) is equivalent to an MBA, whereas a Diplom Betriebswirt (FH) is equivalent to a BBA.

For what it's worth, an Associate degree transfers to a German Abi.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.