lindal24

Vietnamese Garden

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So I've picked up a new hobby (gardening) and this weekend I constructed two (2) - 4 foot by 8 foot raised beds in my back yard. My question now is what would you recommend I plant? I've got the following covered, but let me know if I'm missing something:

in 1' x 1'plot square in raised beds:

cucumbers x4

cabbage x4

American squash x4

bell peppers x3 (red, green, yellow)

hot peppers (ot) x1

chives

green onions

shallots

oinions

cilantro x2

parsley x2

culantro

corriander

scallions

dill

lemon grass x2

mint

basil

tomatoes x4

okra x4

brocolli x4

califlower

watercress

bak choy

beansprouts

VN corriander (rau ram) x4

rau muong x4

salad mixes x4

lettuce x4

in separate containers:

daikon x2

carrots x2

bitter melon

hairy gourd

eggplant

pennywort

sugar cane

I get the feeling I'm missing something "BIG"! :P

how about Rau Day? I don't know the english name. perhaps Okra Leaves? but don't quote me on that one. it makes a killer canh (soup) and goes great with white eggplants.

Edited by AJ&Dzung

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

you need to trip in to Houston soon, to Viet Hoa superstore (and the SUN wholesale place right next to it ), bring yer lass, and buy some more seeds - they have 'vietnamese' vegetables seed recently - I noticed it this weekend.

It's on the Beltway - so if yer coming in on I-10, take Beltway 8 south - you'll see it within 7 miles.

Good Luck !

i'm going to check this place out as well.

Timeline

Haven't read all the posts, and I don't have time for a proper reply right now. But my family has been growing different Vietnamese vegetables and fruits for over 20 years. We've got stuff that's hard to buy even in Vietnamese stores. We've got about 8 4'x8' plots, not including pots and fruit trees. It's A LOT of work, but worth it if you enjoy gardening.

Location is a big factor. If you're in Cali, you can probably grow anything. Same with Florida. Texas, I'm not so sure.

A lot of the OP's list can be planted in medium-sized pots, and in my experience yields better than the ground.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.