Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Help! Marijuana Conviction - Inadmissable?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Here is situation: Husband is permanent resident of US (4 years). 9 months ago he was convicted of a first time simple marijuana possession (less than 30 grams), no jail time, 3 years unsupervised probation. We live in 9th Circuit District. He was told by attorney he could travel back to his home country, which he did. He is now coming back and I suspect the attorney was mistaken and he is going to have trouble upon arrival at the airport.

My confusion: Is he inadmissable or not, I cant figure it out and i dont have $2000 to get another lawyers opinon. If he is inadmissable, can he apply for waiver on the spot (he has not been in the country more than 7 years)? OR IS he admissable because his convicted crime was punishable by less than 1 year, etc.: See Exeception clause below and if you know the answer PLEASE HELP. I am worried, as you can imagine.

INA § 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II)

(II) a violation of relating to a controlled substance is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception Clause

(II) the maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted (or which the alien admits having committed or of which the acts that the alien admits having committed constituted the essential elements) did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted of such crime, the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed).

Edited by Campanita

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Timeline

If your husband were to apply for a green card, he would be inadmissible indeed. However, since he is a resident already, this won't become an issue until he applies for citizenship which, in his situation, should be put on the backburner for a few years. He won't have any issue coming back home at all.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...