wally

need some opinions

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In general, it is mandatory for the child who turns 14 to apply for a new card. By law, an LPR should carry valid proof of legal residency, meaning the green card should technically be unexpired. If you are going to naturalize anytime soon and have no travel plans, you can just wait for that and apply for a U.S. passport for your 14 year old after you get your naturalization certificate. If you plan on traveling, then it would be advisable to get the card renewed as it can cause problems at the border. There are accounts of children who failed to get a new card when they turned 14 having no problems at the border or POE. However, I would not risk having an invalid green card now that border screenings are getting tighter and tighter.

Thank you for all the great answers. It's just unfortunate I missed the 30 day window from his birthday but not complaining, only paid the biometrics for him when we removed conditions anyway. So my plan is to get off this immigration roller coaster and apply for citizenship and let my son fall under derivative status. Ultimately I would have gotten US passports for us both.

Since we are travelling to Canada in June, I did ask if it would be a problem at the border...whether his current PR card is still valid and they reassured me twice that as long as it was not expired we were good to go.

Filed: Other Timeline

We received our 10 PR cards in March 09. He turned 14 in Aug. 09. Don't I find out recently that he now needs a new card cause he turned 14. I sent the I-90 in last month with the $80 biometric fee. It's rejected for wrong fees sent. I called and am told because we are out of the 30 day window of when he turned 14 that I now need to send $370 instead. What I'd ike an opinion on is....since his current PR card is good until he is 16 (from what I understand), should I apply for US Citizenship and spend $675 plus whatever other fees if there are any, knowing that he will naturalize under me or get him just renew his PR card. It seems like an easy answer but I think I'm hoping that his 10 year card is still good for 10 years and I can catch a break from paying anymore fees and it didn't occur to me that every 10 years we'd have to pay more fees.

US citizenship is not a problem, just procrastinating on more paperwork, fees and travelling 6 hours for the closest test.

Thank you for all the great answers. It's just unfortunate I missed the 30 day window from his birthday but not complaining, only paid the biometrics for him when we removed conditions anyway. So my plan is to get off this immigration roller coaster and apply for citizenship and let my son fall under derivative status. Ultimately I would have gotten US passports for us both.

Since we are travelling to Canada in June, I did ask if it would be a problem at the border...whether his current PR card is still valid and they reassured me twice that as long as it was not expired we were good to go.

Wally- First of all, if your son's card says that it is valid until March 2019....

Then why mess with that?.... It is STILL VALID, right?

Frankly, I would play the "ignorance is bliss" attitude here.....

If they give your son a 10 year green card, then use it for 10 years (or go for US Citizenship..whatever first...).

As it is a lot more trouble and a lot more time to apply for a new green card, when you already have a valid one..

If his card says it is valid until March 2019, then that's the date they should go by, and they shouldn't read more into that....

In the meantime...Did you apply for your son's citizenship too? If you did, you should be getting an NOA receipt for that. Bring that along with you for you trip. And if you are asked, just say that you are applying for her citizenship, and they should understand there as to why you are not renewing your son's valid green card....

Besides, they are going to have to see his green card for the citizenship interview and then they take his green card away during citizenship....

So by the time you actually get a new green card, it will be time to give it back for US Citizenship....lol....

Or heck, knowing how slow they operate...You'll never get to see that new green card for your son...and instead will get US Citizenship first....lol...So that would be a waste of money there....

Save that money for applying for a US passport for your son instead of wasting it on a new green card....He's going to need that new passport for travel after citizenship instead....

Actually...If you apply for citizenship for yourself before he turns 18...You get a 2 for 1 deal there...Minors/children under 18 can 'piggyback' off their parent's application....They automatically become US Citizens at the same time their parents are. Another alternative would be for your US Citizen spouse to legally adopt your son, apply for CBRA, and through that he can be a citizen right away too, as an adopted child of a US Citizen.

All that is needed next is to show the parents' proof of US Citizenship, apply then apply for a US Passport...

I'm sure other VJers who have been through these situations can tell you more about this.....

Your son will not be denied entry into Canada...As he is a Canadian citizen, he can come and go as she pleases in Canada..No problems there...

As for coming back to the USA...Again, as long as his green card is valid....There shouldn't be any problems there...

Surely they cannot refuse entry for someone with a VALID green card!!! And vaild until March 2019 is good enough..

Lol..Wally....USCIS error in your favour....They gave your son a 10yr green card...

It's valid for 10 years...So be it....

Not your fault they didn't issue your son a 5 yr green card instead, and didn't tell you about the renewing for minors rule....

As for applying for a new card....I think it could take up to 6 months or even longer....(though you should check for sure..this is from what I've read about other VJers who got replacement green cards because they lost it, needed it renewed, or whatever else). But again, why deal with the USCIS more than you have to? And really, do you want your son to go without a green card for so long (you have to send in the original too, if you want a replacement).

And after all this, I really do encourage you to apply for yours and/or your son's citizenship asap too..

You don't want him 'age out' before it is too late! Take the 2 for 1 discount while you still can....lol....

Hope this helps too. Good luck. Happy travels!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.