Udella&Wiz

Name change back in Canada

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So which 2 pieces of Cdn id would I have in my married name anyway? Hmmm...no health card because I'm not eligible and don't live there....I do see that they'll take my US Permanent resident card as proof of name...that will work....I only saw the need for 1 piece of id besides the marriage cert in the instructions. This is just irritating.

I'm assuming that they would allow you to use your US ID, otherwise that's pretty unreasonable. I have no Canadian picture ID anymore either, except the health card which brings up the same issue (and It's going to expire in a few months anyways) So maybe like, your PR card, and your state DL? or a state ID card? something like that.

Udella&Wiz and Hugglebuggles- When I applied/renewed for my Canadian passport in my married name last year...

This is what I used, as identification....

1) Canadian Citizenship Card (in maiden name, and was of me when I was a child...)

2) Former Expired Canadian Passport (in maiden name)

3) US Marriage Certificate (in maiden name and married name)

4) US Green Card (in married name)

5) US NYS Driver's License (in married name)

And they had no problems with that....:)

Hope this helps too. Good luck...

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Cool, thanks ant! I definitely have it covered then :)

Huggles-No problem...Glad to be able to help...

Though one thing I would like to note...I applied in-person at a Passport Canada office in Canada...And they gave the originals back to me right away...

I don't know how it is if you apply by mail...And I don't know if they want original documents to be sent by mail....

(lol..so I don't know if you have to part with your gc and/or dl while applying...)

Maybe some other VJer can explain more about this original document thing...???

But yes, you can apply with US documents in your married name..no problems....

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So which 2 pieces of Cdn id would I have in my married name anyway? Hmmm...no health card because I'm not eligible and don't live there....I do see that they'll take my US Permanent resident card as proof of name...that will work....I only saw the need for 1 piece of id besides the marriage cert in the instructions. This is just irritating.

Yup. you are right, perhaps they have changed since last year. But what I can see from the application they will take the green card.

Documents to Support Identity

At least ONE (1) document to support your identity and the name to appear in the passport must be submitted with your application form. Further documentation may be required. Documents to support your identity must be valid, must be issued by a federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal authority, and must include the bearer's name and signature. For example:

Provincial/territorial/state driver's licence Provincial health care card Certificate of Indian Status

Other federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal identification card Valid Canadian passport or Canadian passport expired for a period of less than one year United States (USA) permanent resident card

Federal, provincial/territorial/state or municipal employee identification card Old Age Security card

You may submit original documents. They will be returned to you. If you are submitting copies (both sides), your guarantor must sign and date the copies to indicate that the originals have been seen. If you are submitting copies but are using form PPTC 132, "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor", the same official who signs the "Declaration" must also sign and date the copies of the documents you are providing to support your identity to indicate that the originals have been seen. If you have no documents to support your identity, call Passport Canada.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Think I'll be ok with the old passport (maiden)...GC in married, Marriage cert in both. I don't have driver's license(yet)

Good gawd - this will be a lot of mailing back and forth to the guarantor :)

Here's something else I thought of - if I get back home to Kitchener in May, there's a passport office there...could I take everything in and do it there? I wonder if I HAVE to mail it in?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Think I'll be ok with the old passport (maiden)...GC in married, Marriage cert in both. I don't have driver's license(yet)

Here's something else I thought of - if I get back home to Kitchener in May, there's a passport office there...could I take everything in and do it there? I wonder if I HAVE to mail it in?

Udella&Wiz-That's fine having your passport in your maiden name...Just make sure your travel tickets matches the name in the passport, and that you carry your marriage certificate when you travel, then you should be ok there..

Lol..Oh yeah..I understand about the mailing between the guarrantor...Likewise I had to do the same thing too..

Mailing the forms and photos back and forth...lol....

And yes, you can apply in person at ANY Passsport Canada office..:)

That's what I did...I applied in-person in St.Catherine's, Ontario..at the office there..

No problems...:)..

In fact, they returned the original documents back a few mins later...lol....

It was definitely easier to apply in person! No need to worry about a lost Citizenship Card or other lost documents!

(besides, I needed my gc to get home too....lol..they definitely couldn't keep that!)

Turn around time for applying in-person in Canada and then having the passport sent to the USA: 2 weeks....:) Via DHL....

Hope this helps too. Good luck with your passport application too.

Now if only the US passport application were that easy, despite applying in-person...lol...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Btw...This is sort of off-topic but...

Has anyone ever used a.."PPTC 132, "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor" form for their Canadian passport?

If so where can I get one of those (I couldn't find it online)? And by signing such, will it delay my application, if I ever have to renew my Canadian passport?

Lol..I have until 2014 to decide as to whether or not I will renew my Canadian passport...

If not, can I still travel to Canada by land with an expired Canadian passport and American documents (such as an Enhanced Driver's License)?

Can I also used the simplified version of the form, if my current passport is in my married name, and my next passport will be in my married name too?

One of the major problems I will have is that I will have no guarrantors and/or references the next time around... :crying:

Lol..Can some of you Canadian VJers be a guarrantor and references for me in 2014 or later?..... :lol::unsure:

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Timeline

I know that at the passport office in St. Catharines where I went, you could take your passport in and get it within the day (for extra $ of course.) While I was submitting my application there was a Canadian living in the US applying as well and she was able to return later the same day to pick hers up. Calling the local office in Kitchener would probably be a good idea.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

• 10 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Over all I had no problem changing my name when my husband and I got married. One point of interest came with ICBC. (provincial insurance in British Columbia)

My husband and I were married in WA. I don't know about other states but WA's marriage certificate was nothing like I would expect in Canada. It was just a photocopy of the certificate we filled out at the wedding (with our names, addresses, etc). It had a seal in the back. If your Canadian you know all of our certificates are like our money (colourful and elaborate) Anywho...

Fast forward to my return to Canada after the wedding...

I went to ICBC with hope of getting an enhanced drivers license as they are 50$ less than the passport and no guarantor needed (anyone else hate the whole "guarantor thing")? They wouldn't grant me the license because the WA marriage license was apparently NOT the original. They tried to tell me that US customs was very strict on this (the silly part being that the marriage certificate was issued and valid in the US). The form was original as it could get without the county general handing us the ink copy which obviously is impossible...

Makes you question what "original" really means. Sure, our certificates in Canada are quite elaborate (in British Columbia anyway) but its still just a "copy" of the original document.

To sum it up, I had no problem changing my name expect for the enhanced drivers license which I can apparently never get.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Some days I don't know what my name is! :wacko:

I changed to my husband's name wen I was first married and then kept it once we divorced because of the kids. My ex was fine with it and because we still got along so well, whenever we would be out at events with the boys I would still be referred to as "Mrs...." Then when I married my current husband he thought I should keep the ex's surname, again for the kids, who by this time were older. He didn't quite get that being married to him but keeping my ex husband's name would be weird...duh...

I am just now getting used to my new "third" name but I answer to anything. :rofl:

:rofl::bonk: your to funny but yeah I can understand you,lol

th_seattlegregandmecute.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.