amandandchris555

help with package 3- Montreal, Canada

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there!

I really need some with figuring out package 3. I got the letter in the mail from the consulate stating I need to complete and return tot he Immigrant Visa (IV) unit:

Form DS-230 Part 1- one copy available online at

travel.state.gov/vis/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html;

Form DS-160- one copy available online at

ceac.state.gov/genniv;

From DS-156k- one copy, available online at

travel.state.gov/vis/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html

From DS-156- two copies available online at

travel.state.gov/vis/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html

Confirmation receipt regarding form DS-160, one copy available online at

ceac.state.gov/genniv

Checklist (enclosed) indicating you have obtained the required documents. Do not send the original documents, but return the checklist indicating you have obtained the documents listed.

QUESTIONS:

1) (Main question; dont feel you have to reply to all, but if any, please this :))On the checklist, they said not to send the original documents...is it fair to assume I should also NOT send copies of the documents? They did emphasize the checklist. It just seems funny, because I guess they would just have to give us the benefit of the doubt that we obtained those documents? Otherwise are they necessary for the interview?

2) Form DS-156-k confuses me. I'm suppose to attach a bunch of documents. Most of them are straight forward, I guess Id just like some hints on how best to do them:

-Police certificates ( a big point of confusion for me): They said Police certificates are required from (1) the police authority of your present locality issued within one year of the date of your visa interview, (2) the police authority of each locality, other than those in the U.S., where you resided for one year or more since attaining the age of 16 which certificate covers the entire period of residence in locality. (I live only about 45 minutes from my home town, where I attend school. Does this mean I need one for both localities?)

-Evidence of engagement- is a picture of the engagement day good enough? Or do I need to get a reciept of the ring from my finace?

Hopefully someone can help! I really appreciate it :),

thanks,

Amanda.

Amanda Moodie

from what i've read (my fiance hasn't received his P3 yet) you fill out the forms you've linked above and send those in with the checklist and that's it. everything else you will bring with you to the interview.

you can send the P3 without booking your medical.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The checklist is just you letting them know that you are ready for the interview- i.e. you have obtained all the required documents. So things like your birth certificate, police clearance, etc. are original documents that you are to bring with you to the interview. You don't need to send them photocopies, its an honor system.

For the police certificate, you only need to obtain one for all of Canada. Most local police stations can do this for you, is it a pretty standard name check (unless you have a criminal history, then its a whole other issue) The certificate must indicate that some kind of national repository was used (eg. the CPIC, RCMP, or a "Canada wide search") If you've ever lived in a country other than Canada or the US, you would need to get a police certificate from them as well.

Evidence of engagement would be an intent to marry affidavit, just like the one you sent in with the I-129F. We just took that same letter, changed the date and signed and voila!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For long form birth certificate...

Apply through your province of birth.

If Ontario...go to Service Ontario Website

If Quebec...go to Directeur de l'etat civil website...

I googled the province and birth certificate long form and that gave me where I need to apply to:)

Hope that helps!

08/31/2010 POE09/25/2010 Civil WeddingAOS Timeline10/11/2010 AOS Package Sent10/20/2010 NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP11/12/2010 Biometrics Appointment1/4/2011 Received EAD and AP documents!1/11/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED!!1/15/2011 - Received Approval notice for I-485, Green card on its way!!1/21/2011 - Received Green Card!!Removal of Conditions11/1/2012-Sent Application to California Service Center ..... N-40007/29/2016 - Received date at Phoenix lockbox 8/01/2016 - N-400 NOA<p>xx/xx/xxxx - BiometricsOnto the next step!!

• 5 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.