2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello,

I have couples of situations that will happen to our friends soon. I do not know which one it will be. However, we need to hear your comments.

* Husband is US citizen. Wife is a Thai, with Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) status. Her 13-years old son is also an LPR.

* Both are legally married. USC husband petitioned both of them.

* They are all residing in the State of Missouri.

Situation I

* Wife would like to go back to Thailand in order to take care of her parents for 3-4 months. Minor child stays with his stepfather.

Questions:

1. How can the husband become a legal guardian for the child, when the mother is away?

2. Will she need to go to the court and file any paper or she can just type a letter and have it notarized?

Situation II

* Wife and her minor child travels to Thailand. USC husband follows later. Minor child will travel back to the States with his stepfather.

1. Can the mother give the consent to the USC husband as legal guardian for her child (while staying in the United States) by signing the paperwork to the Thai authority? Then, the paperwork will be translated notarized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

2. Will this type of paperwork / Legal Guardian consent valid to be used in the US?

One way or the other, the parties involved, which are the wife and husband, will be together to sign any consent.

My questions are:

1. Will any of the practices valid and legal?

2. What method is the best, signing on the US soil or in Thailand?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

With Situation 1, not sure anything is required. I registered Rin's children for school without her, and have taken them to the dentist and doctor without her. I think the first time I did it I took a copy of Rin's visa and the children's visas (Rin's states "spouse of John ..." the children's visas states "P/A: Rin ....").

For Situation 2, not sure, as it may be much more difficult to depart Thailand (although the Thai wife could probably go to the airport to see them through checkin and immigration).

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.