eveghost

re: Social Security number after CR-1

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

We entered the US on the 3rd of Feb, and applied as part of the DS-230 to get a SSN automatically.

Now it has been almost 3 weeks, and due to work commitment i have had to travel back to australia. I have just contact the Social Security office, and they can not find me on the system.

As i am in Australia, and cannot walk into a social security office, can anyone suggest who i can contact?

thanks

Filed: Timeline
We entered the US on the 3rd of Feb, and applied as part of the DS-230 to get a SSN automatically.

Now it has been almost 3 weeks, and due to work commitment i have had to travel back to australia. I have just contact the Social Security office, and they can not find me on the system.

As i am in Australia, and cannot walk into a social security office, can anyone suggest who i can contact?

If you are going to be returning to the U.S. in the near future, suggest that you waiting until you return to apply, but if you just must apply now this is what you need to do.

An alien applying for a work-authorized original SSN must present evidence to establish his or her age, identity and permanent resident alien status.

If a foreign-born person has the foreign BC in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that

establishes identity on our Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200

The unexpired immigration document I-551 (card or stamp) or Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language establish permanent resident alien status.

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number (“A” number) as the “Registration Number” in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

The MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the above statement and is endorsed with an admission stamp the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp and is valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp.

Example:

If the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2004, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2005. The expiration date on the MRIV should not be used to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

Form SS-5-FS, “Application for a Social Security Card," is the appropriate form to request an original SSN card from outside the U.S.

You can access Form SS-5-FS on the SSA Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5fs.html

To read and print Form SS-5-FS at a personal computer, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. The software is available free of charge from Adobe's Internet server at:

http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html

Individuals that meet the requirements to be assigned an SSN or issued a replacement card can apply at U.S. embassies and consulates throughout the world. U.S. military dependents or U.S. citizens working on a U.S. military post can also go to the Post Adjutant or Personnel Office to apply.

In countries where there are a relatively large number of Social Security customers, the American embassy or consulate may have a Federal Benefit Units (FBU) with individuals that have been specially trained to provide a full range of Social Security related services.

You can find a list of these countries on the SSA Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/foreign

The U.S. Embassy, consulate, or military office will authenticate copies of documents that can be mailed to Social Security along with the Form SS-5-FS. DO NOT mail original documents to Social Security in Baltimore, Maryland.

If you live in a country with a trained FBU at the U.S. embassy or consulate, you can take the application to the FBU. In countries that do not have a trained FBU, the embassy or consulate can forward the application to the nearest country having a trained FBU or you can send the application along with copies of the required document(s) that have been authenticated by the embassy, consulate, or military office to our Office of International Operations (OIO) at:

Social Security Administration

Attn: SSN Unit

P.O. Box 17758

Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7758

USA

You can also contact the OIO SSN Unit by calling 1-410-965-9334, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. eastern U.S. time.

However, when an alien requests a work authorized SSN or replacement card, the office will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, the office will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the application.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

So - i have all of the required application forms and documents. I just need to have these viewed by the embassy and sent to the required SSO.

Can i walk into the Sydney Consuate, (ideally this friday) and have this done. I have tried to speak to the consulate but have had no luck

Filed: Timeline
So - i have all of the required application forms and documents. I just need to have these viewed by the embassy and sent to the required SSO.

Can i walk into the Sydney Consuate, (ideally this friday) and have this done. I have tried to speak to the consulate but have had no luck

http://sydney.usconsulate.gov/consular/soc...pplication.html

http://sydney.usconsulate.gov/consular/acsfaq.html#social

If they take your application it will more than likely be forwarded to the VARO in Manila, Philippines, since they have access to the same systems that Social Security offices in the U.S. have.

You might try contacting the VARO to see what they say is the best thing to do.

Edited by mdyoung

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.