slider100

US consulate Montreal Review!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay fellow VJ’ers, let me start off by apologising for the late review but I wanted it to be detailed and specific. Anyways here it is:

We reached Montreal on Saturday, March 27th and we stayed at the hotel LaTour Centreville. It is really a good place to stay (only $75/night) and its proximity to the Consulate was the best part. It took us one minute to get to the US Consulate (I am not kidding, actually 1 minute).

On Sunday, we went to the Desjardins mall, it was really fun! We also went to the Eaton center, which is on St.Catherines Boulevard. Okay enough about the travel trails, here is the actual Consulate review:

Reached the US Consulate at about 6:35 am, we had two people ahead of us. The first was a couple (kimbear, I found out it was you with David when I read your review) and the second was Colleens with whom I actually spoke. It was very chilly, and so we got some coffee. Anyways, people started to pile up around 7 am. The security guards opened the doors at about 7:40 am. We went through security and got the Letter C. Then, we were asked to go down and wait for a guard. At the security point, we were given a White sheet of instructions which highlighted the documents that needed to be submitted (VJ’ers do not need to read it as we already know what it asks for). However, this is what it read like:

Instructions:

a) A guard would come down the elevator and take us up to the 19th floor. Then, we will have to sit till our name/number is called.

b) Upon hearing our name/number, we should go to the respective window to which we are called.

c) List of documents to be kept ready:

i) Birth certificate + copy.

ii) DS-160 confirmation page + form.

iii) Passport + copy of the biographic information page.

iv) Passport size photos (2).

v) Police clearance certificates.

vi) I-134 affidavit of support + relevant financial documents.

vii) Revised letters of intent.

viii) Express port Envelope (addressed to yourself).

This white sheet had a bunch of other information on the back which basically talked about if you were eligible for a visa, how would you get it and how long you it would take.

Anyways, we were asked to sit in the “US citizens section” and wait for our name/number to be called. Soon after, Kimbear were called to one of the windows followed by Colleens and then they called me by my name. To be honest, I was kind of scared as I thought they were singling me out (haha) but it just depends on the person who accepts the documents. We had a nice guy who asked for the documents listed above. He asked my fiancée a few questions regarding the wedding and was it going to be a big wedding to which she said YES! About a 100 people and he said that’s good. Then he asked me to go pay the non-immigrant visa fee ($131). After that, we were called again to the same window for my finger printing. Had no problems, it went through the first time.

We went out and waited for our name to be called for the actual interview (about a 50 minute wait). We saw big smiles on Kimbear’s face when she came out (really happy for you and David, I wish I knew it was you guys, we could have talked). Then, surprisingly, my name was called before Colleens even though she had the letter B. We were called to Window 9, we went in and there was no one in there. We waited for about 2 minutes and a nice gentleman entered the booth. He greeted us and asked us how we were doing. He administered us the oath. Then, he just asked us a few questions:

a) How often do I visit the States?

b) Have I had any problems at the border?

c) Who proposed to whom?

d) Have I ever had any problems with the law?

And a few other general questions!

Then, he asked me to approach the finger printing machine, took my prints and said the magic words, “Based on the information you guys have provided me today, I can go ahead and tell you that your visa has been APPROVED”. We were speechless for a few seconds, and then we thanked him and got out of the consulate. On my way out, I waived at Colleens and wished her luck.

For all the future beneficiaries going through the Montreal consulate, just make sure your paperwork is up to date and you are confident in answering the questions. Trust me; you will have no problems at all!

I hope this review helps and once again, I apologise for posting it so late.

Heartfelt congratulations to Kimbear, Colleens, and steflovesbran and everyone who got approved!

KnR aka slider100

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Isn't it a great feeling. Congrats again, and safe trip down.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks slider!! congrats to you as well! woo hoo!! time to begin our actual lives!

AOS

03-30-10: Montreal Interview

04-09-10: K1 Visa Received

04-17-10: US Entry (Toronto Pearson Airport to Peoria, Illinois)

06-12-10: Married the love of my life!!

06-25-10: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131 petitions to Chicago Lockbox

07-01-10: NOA1

07-30-10: Case transferred to California Service Center

08-03-10: Biometrics in Naperville, IL

08-21-10: AP approved

08-28-10: Received AP

08-30-10: EAD approved

09-01-10: Received EAD

09-20-10: Green card approved!!

09-25-10: Green card recieved!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes Leafgal it is a great feeling!

And steflovesbran, we sure can begin our "actual" lives now! I remember you talking to kimbear and then by the time you realized that you had to get in line it was too late and you had to go all the way in the back.

But all that matters is we all got approved and that is great news!

KnR aka slider100

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ahaha u saw that! lol. I was so dumb that I thought that where Kimbear was, was actually the back of the line. I didn't even notice I was standing in front of the entrance haha, then I asked her 'why is everyone lining up overthere instead of behind me?' then she told me that was the back of the line and they were the front. i am seriously so stupid sometimes haha. but yes wooo hooo the wait was def worth it!

AOS

03-30-10: Montreal Interview

04-09-10: K1 Visa Received

04-17-10: US Entry (Toronto Pearson Airport to Peoria, Illinois)

06-12-10: Married the love of my life!!

06-25-10: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131 petitions to Chicago Lockbox

07-01-10: NOA1

07-30-10: Case transferred to California Service Center

08-03-10: Biometrics in Naperville, IL

08-21-10: AP approved

08-28-10: Received AP

08-30-10: EAD approved

09-01-10: Received EAD

09-20-10: Green card approved!!

09-25-10: Green card recieved!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was so nervous i just kept yammering at david the whole time lol. i oculdnt' stand still, and i was a bit cold lol. i had hardly any sleep that night. I thougth it was colleen behind us but wasn't sure..Sog lad everyone got approvals! it was awesome :)

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Slider100-Congrats on passing your interview, and thanks for sharing about that here on VJ! :thumbs::star:

Good luck on the rest of your journey, and good luck in your upcoming POE too!

Ant

Okay fellow VJ’ers, let me start off by apologising for the late review but I wanted it to be detailed and specific. Anyways here it is:

We reached Montreal on Saturday, March 27th and we stayed at the hotel LaTour Centreville. It is really a good place to stay (only $75/night) and its proximity to the Consulate was the best part. It took us one minute to get to the US Consulate (I am not kidding, actually 1 minute).

On Sunday, we went to the Desjardins mall, it was really fun! We also went to the Eaton center, which is on St.Catherines Boulevard. Okay enough about the travel trails, here is the actual Consulate review:

Reached the US Consulate at about 6:35 am, we had two people ahead of us. The first was a couple (kimbear, I found out it was you with David when I read your review) and the second was Colleens with whom I actually spoke. It was very chilly, and so we got some coffee. Anyways, people started to pile up around 7 am. The security guards opened the doors at about 7:40 am. We went through security and got the Letter C. Then, we were asked to go down and wait for a guard. At the security point, we were given a White sheet of instructions which highlighted the documents that needed to be submitted (VJ’ers do not need to read it as we already know what it asks for). However, this is what it read like:

Instructions:

a) A guard would come down the elevator and take us up to the 19th floor. Then, we will have to sit till our name/number is called.

b) Upon hearing our name/number, we should go to the respective window to which we are called.

c) List of documents to be kept ready:

i) Birth certificate + copy.

ii) DS-160 confirmation page + form.

iii) Passport + copy of the biographic information page.

iv) Passport size photos (2).

v) Police clearance certificates.

vi) I-134 affidavit of support + relevant financial documents.

vii) Revised letters of intent.

viii) Express port Envelope (addressed to yourself).

This white sheet had a bunch of other information on the back which basically talked about if you were eligible for a visa, how would you get it and how long you it would take.

Anyways, we were asked to sit in the “US citizens section” and wait for our name/number to be called. Soon after, Kimbear were called to one of the windows followed by Colleens and then they called me by my name. To be honest, I was kind of scared as I thought they were singling me out (haha) but it just depends on the person who accepts the documents. We had a nice guy who asked for the documents listed above. He asked my fiancée a few questions regarding the wedding and was it going to be a big wedding to which she said YES! About a 100 people and he said that’s good. Then he asked me to go pay the non-immigrant visa fee ($131). After that, we were called again to the same window for my finger printing. Had no problems, it went through the first time.

We went out and waited for our name to be called for the actual interview (about a 50 minute wait). We saw big smiles on Kimbear’s face when she came out (really happy for you and David, I wish I knew it was you guys, we could have talked). Then, surprisingly, my name was called before Colleens even though she had the letter B. We were called to Window 9, we went in and there was no one in there. We waited for about 2 minutes and a nice gentleman entered the booth. He greeted us and asked us how we were doing. He administered us the oath. Then, he just asked us a few questions:

a) How often do I visit the States?

b) Have I had any problems at the border?

c) Who proposed to whom?

d) Have I ever had any problems with the law?

And a few other general questions!

Then, he asked me to approach the finger printing machine, took my prints and said the magic words, “Based on the information you guys have provided me today, I can go ahead and tell you that your visa has been APPROVED”. We were speechless for a few seconds, and then we thanked him and got out of the consulate. On my way out, I waived at Colleens and wished her luck.

For all the future beneficiaries going through the Montreal consulate, just make sure your paperwork is up to date and you are confident in answering the questions. Trust me; you will have no problems at all!

I hope this review helps and once again, I apologise for posting it so late.

Heartfelt congratulations to Kimbear, Colleens, and steflovesbran and everyone who got approved!

KnR aka slider100

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.