Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Another Tax Question

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada

Hello VJ Members

I hope this question was not addressed before but I tried looking for it and was not able to find it.

I need some advise on working in US as a contractor/consultant for my Canadian employer.

1) For the income I earn working this way, will I be charged both Canadian and US taxes? According to CRA I dont pay Canadian taxes on this income but that was just 1 agent' s intrepretation. Is that true?

2) Is it advisable to do it this way as in work as a consultant and take care of my taxes?

3) When I file my taxes in 2010, will I have to report the income earned in US as a consultant in Canada OR do I just report the incopmen for the time when I was physically living and working in Canada? I know that for US taxes, I have to report my worldwide income.

4) This income earned (March-Dec 2010), is this considered US income or foreign income when it comes to filing US taxes?

Please help and Thanks!

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-130 Journey

I-130 Sent : 2009-06-09

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-12

I-130 Approved : 2009-08-26

NOA2 Hardcopy : 2009-08-31

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 2009-09-08

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-09-14

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-14

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-09-15

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-09-17

Return Completed DS-230 : 2009-10-21

Login Failed : 2009-11-02

Case Complete: 2009-11-03

Medical: 2010-02-10

Interview: 2010-02-24!!!! Yay!!!! APPROVED

Port of Entry: Blue Water Bridge, Michigan: 2010-03-14

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...