VanessaTony

Australian Passport & Name Change process

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello everyone!
I know this thread is a few years old but I have a question regarding getting a new passport while i'm in USA.
My passport expires April 2017, I have all of my USCIS docs in my new married name. I would like to get my new passport in that name too so I've completed an application for NSW BDM's to change my name from my maiden name to my new married last name. Hopefully I'll get that name change certificate in a few weeks.

My question is this; I am filling out PC8 (Overseas Passport application) and it requires proof of citizenship if born after 1986. My old passport will most likely be expired by the time I submit this new passport form, and my old passport lists my maiden name, do you think I could still use this along with my NSW birth certificate, and name change certificate? 

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
On 3/24/2010 at 2:03 AM, VanessaTony said:

APPLY FOR LEGAL NAME CHANGE:-

First, you will need to apply for a name change at the RBDM in your state. You will need to find the website for your state so you can find out your specific state requirements (here is a list of the RBDM's: http://australia.gov.au/topics/law-and-justice/births-deaths-and-marriages-registries ) or here are the specific links below:

Now, before you get excited, you will need to send off your ORIGINAL birth certificate, if you have it (some states like N.T require you to sign a Statutory Declaration if you do NOT include the certificate). In the cases of SA and VIC (which are the only ones I know) you will, on successfully changing your name, get a name change document AND a new birth certificate listing your new married name but fear not, it does still list your birth name. On the Vic licence on the back will be your name change history.

Do NOT send original documents (except the birth certificate). All documents must be certified, or if you're doing this overseas a notary is fine.

Hi VanessaTony,

Did you send a copy of your US marriage certificate too?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 hours ago, sweetswinks said:

Hello everyone!
I know this thread is a few years old but I have a question regarding getting a new passport while i'm in USA.
My passport expires April 2017, I have all of my USCIS docs in my new married name. I would like to get my new passport in that name too so I've completed an application for NSW BDM's to change my name from my maiden name to my new married last name. Hopefully I'll get that name change certificate in a few weeks.

My question is this; I am filling out PC8 (Overseas Passport application) and it requires proof of citizenship if born after 1986. My old passport will most likely be expired by the time I submit this new passport form, and my old passport lists my maiden name, do you think I could still use this along with my NSW birth certificate, and name change certificate? 

If you are already in the US and your change of surname is from marriage, you do not need a NSW BDM certificate to change your Australian passport. I did that 2 years ago in SF Aus consulate, just show them your marriage certificate. It's also due to my Aus passport is expiring.

~My Timeline~

K1 and AOS- 2012

ROC- 2014

Citizenship N400

Filed: 12-28-2020 online

NOA1: 2-1-2021

Bio: reuse 4-26-2021

Interview: 2-14-2022

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Athena13 said:

If you are already in the US and your change of surname is from marriage, you do not need a NSW BDM certificate to change your Australian passport. I did that 2 years ago in SF Aus consulate, just show them your marriage certificate. It's also due to my Aus passport is expiring.

Not according to the consulate website regarding completing the PC8 Australian passport form:

Marriage

If you were married overseas and wish to have your married name in your passport, please contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in the state you were born to apply for a RBDM name change certificate.   You cannot use a foreign marriage certificate to change your name, and must instead register your new name with the RDBM in Australia. 

If you were married in Australia, you must present your official RBDM marriage certificate (not the ceremonial certificate you receive on the day of the ceremony).  You must apply to the RBDM to receive your official marriage certificate.

http://usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsNameChgAustPassportsNameChgAust.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, sweetswinks said:

Not according to the consulate website regarding completing the PC8 Australian passport form:

Marriage

If you were married overseas and wish to have your married name in your passport, please contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in the state you were born to apply for a RBDM name change certificate.   You cannot use a foreign marriage certificate to change your name, and must instead register your new name with the RDBM in Australia. 

If you were married in Australia, you must present your official RBDM marriage certificate (not the ceremonial certificate you receive on the day of the ceremony).  You must apply to the RBDM to receive your official marriage certificate.

http://usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsNameChgAustPassportsNameChgAust.html

um interesting, the consulate people told me to just come in with the marriage certificate. Maybe I wasn't born in Australia? I married in the US though. I changed my passport here in SF in Jan 2015.

~My Timeline~

K1 and AOS- 2012

ROC- 2014

Citizenship N400

Filed: 12-28-2020 online

NOA1: 2-1-2021

Bio: reuse 4-26-2021

Interview: 2-14-2022

Timeline
13 hours ago, Athena13 said:

um interesting, the consulate people told me to just come in with the marriage certificate. Maybe I wasn't born in Australia? I married in the US though. I changed my passport here in SF in Jan 2015.

I contacted the embassy, they responded super fast! 
"Name change policy is dictated by whether you were born inside or outside
Australia. Since you were born in NSW, you must register your new name with
the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages (BDM) in NSW before you can
change your name in your passport. Your US marriage certificate and NSW
birth certificate will not be acceptable to change your name."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.