mike777

When SSN is coming?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Ah, really? I already done some calculations myself, I don't think I owe. Not with the insane amount of interest I'm paying on stu loans...

Well, the wife's green card came today. That was quick. But I don't really care about that so much, we want the SSN lol Well we do, but now we want the SSN. As soon as that comes in, time for the wife to get a NY drivers lic. Can my wife carry around her Ontario and NY drivers licenses? I know in NY, you can't carry around another NY license but what about an Ontario one too...

Mikey777-Congrats for your wife getting her green card. Good luck with her getting her SSN too. Lol..I know what you mean there, as likewise, I wanted my SSN soon too (lol..and I had to wait 8 weeks for that), as I needed it for a driver's license, banking, and pretty much everything else around here. Lol..Here in America it goes something like this: If you have no SSN, you are nobody...Sad, but true...

In answer to your question about the NYS/Ontario License...(based on my experiences and on NYS DMV rules..)....

Canadian licenses are valid for a direct transfer (no further testing required) for an American New York State one....

However, your wife will HAVE TO "surrender/trade in" to the DMV her Ontario Canadian license for an NYS American one....

Your wife CANNOT have both driver's licenses at the same time.....

All she needs for an NYS license is: The former/current Canadian Ontario License, SSN card, US Green Card, marriage certificate (if in married name), proof of NYS residency, and $45..... 10 mins in and out....with a temp license...and 2 weeks later....a 4 yr license....That was easy!

For more info about the NYS DMV, you can read here....

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving

Drivers From the US or Canada Who Move to NYS

NYS recognizes valid driver licenses held by residents of other US states, US territories and Federal districts and Canadian provinces. If you become a resident of NYS, you must apply for a NYS driver license not more than 30 days after you become a NYS resident.

You can exchange an out-of-state driver license or Canadian driver license for a NYS driver license if the driver license has your photograph, the driver license is not suspended or revoked and the driver license:

has been valid for at least 6 months, or

has expired in the past 12 months, or

is a valid CDL and has been valid for any amount of time, and

The driver license that you exchange must show the date that your driver license was issued. The date is required to verify that the driver license was issued at least six months before you applied for a NYS driver license. If your out-of-state photo driver license does not show the date of issue, get a driver license record or letter from the state that issued the driver license that indicates the date of issue. The letter or driver abstract must have been issued by the other state within six months before you submit the letter or driver abstract to the NYSDMV. The letter or driver record must be an original and must be on the letterhead of the Department of Motor Vehicles of the other state. The letter or driver abstract cannot be a copy or a fax.

Hope this helps too. Good luck with getting a license, and good luck with the rest of your journey too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Timeline

They Ant, thanks for that help, the guy on the phone said she'd have to retake all the tests like I did when I was 16, so she doesn't then...

Thanks!

I-130 Received: 5-11-2009

I-130 Approved: 8-28-2009

Checklist on my DS230 and 864; Called, under review for checklist corrections (small delay) - Oct and Nov

Case Complete: 12/11/09

Received Interview Date: 1/22/10

Medial: 2/22/10: passed

Interview: 3/3/10: APPROVED! WHOO-HOOO

POE: 3/6/10: yeah!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They Ant, thanks for that help, the guy on the phone said she'd have to retake all the tests like I did when I was 16, so she doesn't then...

Thanks!

Nah, she doesn't. I also switched my Ontario license for a NYS license with no problem. I have a "Visitor Status" note on mine until I show them my 10 year greencard... she'll just have to get that updated after she gets her 10 year greencard.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Timeline

OK, the only thing I'm worried about is that her green card, passport, SS Card, all say her maiden name on it, but her ontario license says her married name. But the guy said we just need 6 points to verify her identity, I'm hoping weith teh marriage cert, they'll see her maiden name and my last name and put two and two together and it won't be an issue.

I-130 Received: 5-11-2009

I-130 Approved: 8-28-2009

Checklist on my DS230 and 864; Called, under review for checklist corrections (small delay) - Oct and Nov

Case Complete: 12/11/09

Received Interview Date: 1/22/10

Medial: 2/22/10: passed

Interview: 3/3/10: APPROVED! WHOO-HOOO

POE: 3/6/10: yeah!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate if someone can help me on SSN procedure. I am really confused.

I had thought that once you do your POE, you can go the SSA office and apply for an SSN the next day .

But I think I am wrong. Where do we fill in the form that we need an SSN number ? Do we need to wait 10 to 14 business days before we get an SSN number. ? Can I go the next day after my POE and apply for an SSN number right away ?

Thanks,

Sal

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2009-04-13

I-130 Sent : 2009-05-05

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-05-11

I-130 Approved : 2009-09-14

NVC Received : 2009-09-29

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-09-29

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-30

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-10-06

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-10-06

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-11-24

Receive IV Bill : 2009-10-15

Pay IV Bill : 2009-10-24

Login Failed: 2009-22-12

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-12-23

Interview: APRIL 9th 2010

Interview Letter : March 2nd 2010

Medical : March 22nd 2010

Interview Result: Approved ... Yohooooo

Visa Received : 2010-04-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, the only thing I'm worried about is that her green card, passport, SS Card, all say her maiden name on it, but her ontario license says her married name. But the guy said we just need 6 points to verify her identity, I'm hoping weith teh marriage cert, they'll see her maiden name and my last name and put two and two together and it won't be an issue.

You should be okay with your marriage certificate. That is the legal document showing her name change. If they give you problems, just get it in the maiden name and then you can just go back strictly for a name change using a changed SSN and the marriage certificate.

My Ontario license was in my maiden name and then my passport and I-94 was also in my maiden name and then my SSN was in my married. They went by the marriage certificate to verify everything.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah, really? I already done some calculations myself, I don't think I owe. Not with the insane amount of interest I'm paying on stu loans...

Well, the wife's green card came today. That was quick. But I don't really care about that so much, we want the SSN lol Well we do, but now we want the SSN. As soon as that comes in, time for the wife to get a NY drivers lic. Can my wife carry around her Ontario and NY drivers licenses? I know in NY, you can't carry around another NY license but what about an Ontario one too...

I believe they will either make her surrender her Ontario license or punch a hole in it which renders it invalid. From what I read on the DMV site in PA that is what they do, but I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm.

redmen I see your interview was the 1st - did your SS card come yet?

The hubby's SS card didn't come in yet. Just the welcome letter yesterday... He's getting impatient since he's been on a few interviews already...

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.