tuesdaysgone

Need Help-What visa do I need for my situation

7 posts in this topic

Ok, I am a British citizen and I am legally married to my wife who is an American citizen.

Lets say that I am currently livingr in the UK and she resides in the US. What visa do we need to apply for?

CR-1

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

How long does it typically take?

timelines look like 8-12 months - your mileage may vary.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

just reading the cr1 guide now.

Would I need to apply to adjust status to permanent resident once I enter the US or would It allow me to enter the US as a permanent resident.

Also with regards to a co sponser, would they need to fill out a separate i864 showing themselves alone earns over the 125%of the poverty threshold, supply 3 years of tax returns? There a US citizen and resident, my friend not a relative.

just reading the cr1 guide now.

Would I need to apply to adjust status to permanent resident once I enter the US or would It allow me to enter the US as a permanent resident.

Also with regards to a co sponser, would they need to fill out a separate i864 showing themselves alone earns over the 125%of the poverty threshold, supply 3 years of tax returns? There a US citizen and resident, my friend not a relative.

CR-1 is basically a green card upon arrival. Read through the guides - it will explain what you need to do.

Yes - your joint(co) sponsor would need to fill out a seperate 864 with evidence. As long as they are 18+ (they meet the other requirements), your gold.

Awesome, the cr1 is much easier to do than what I have already had to do, we have all the documents and the process seems much easier. We have a co sponser that meets the requirements. It took me 3 months to find a great job, ive been in it for 1 month and now more than likely I will have to go back to the UK to file the cr1 this sucks.

If I was to refile here under a denial status what would it be, an i130? Surely it wouldnt be an i485 as I wouldnt be in a normal status, any ideas?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.