sciencenerd

applying for SSN - immigration documents

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife's EAD just got approved and we are waiting for it to arrive in the mail. When it gets here, getting a social security card is first on our list. I've been looking at the requirements for the social security card on the SSA website and it says you need:

- proof of work eligibility

- proof of age and identity

- proof of immigration status (I-94)

Well, we'll have the EAD card, passport, birth certificate, and we have the NOA for her AOS application. However, she is Canadian and adjusting from a visitor status, so she was never issued a visa or given an I-94 form. Will the NOA be enough or is there something else we should have? All the information I find regarding this stuff doesn't apply to Canadians who came to the states initially as a visitor/tourist.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nevermind - I don't know how to delete a post (if you can), but it looks like the EAD will be good enough for both per this: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html.

I guess we'll just head down to the office and show them the documentation we have - it seems like it should be enough.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: Timeline

EAD card, passport, birth certificate is all she needs. Have her take them to a Social Security office or Card Center.

The address and directions to the nearest Social Security office can be obtained from our Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the SSA Web site:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA, or Las Vegas, NV area should apply at their local Social Security Card Center.

Individuals residing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area should apply at the Twin Cities Card Center.

Card Center Information:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.