beatlesrebel

2010 United Kingdom AOS Thread

339 posts in this topic

sfjkljoriaenk this is torture. I cannot get my mind off of it! 14 hours.

I'm on my shift right now, already gave my 2 babies baths, helped Mom hold one of the babies skin-to-skin (she's only about 2 and a half pounds), got my other kid to shut up (he's really old at 3 months old being full term at birth and wants the eff out of here and I don't blame him), and I only have one more set of cares (assessment) at 4am and then I'll get off at 7am. UGH. The time cannot GO ANY SLOWER!!!

I am excited to use the flight tracker :) he will board at 7am my time.

He must be there by now!!!! I'm sooooooooooo excited for you!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

thanks everyone! :)

He's here!! :dance:

Dulles was great, he wasn't even taken into secondary, although nobody welcomed him to America...told my Dad (who's in the Army) that and he proceeded to welcome him to America :dance: on the phone.

I followed his flight online and tracked it via facebook for everyone...when he found out he called me a dork :bonk: and he loved me all the more for it :lol:

I'm soooooo happy!!!

And have promptly 234923598709 things to do right now, but happiness while doing it :luv:

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

thanks everyone! :)

He's here!! :dance:

Dulles was great, he wasn't even taken into secondary, although nobody welcomed him to America...told my Dad (who's in the Army) that and he proceeded to welcome him to America :dance: on the phone.

I followed his flight online and tracked it via facebook for everyone...when he found out he called me a dork :bonk: and he loved me all the more for it :lol:

I'm soooooo happy!!!

And have promptly 234923598709 things to do right now, but happiness while doing it :luv:

lol I know what you mean! Awwww this makes me so happy! Congrats on finally being able to be together for GOOD!

Mmmkay. Phill and I went to the local Social Security office last Friday to apply for his SSN. Needless to say we didn't get anywhere. The woman REFUSED to give him a SSN. I took the special memo that VJ suggested to take. *sigh* I know others here have successfully gotten their SSN's while going through the AOS process. Is there any other information I can print out that proves Phill is allowed to apply for one? We want to go back in maybe the end of this week and try again with more ammo.

I also have another question. When Phill went for his interview in London and I sent him my affidavit of support form (I-134), my mom was our co-sponsor and filled out the appropriate paperwork. My question is: I, of course, will be filling out the I-864 affidavit of support for AOS. Will my mom fill one out as well and state that she's the co-sponsor? Or do I need her to fill out the I-864A which is to show that you're using a household member's assets? I'm a bit confused by that! :wacko:

Sorry about your SSN experience...it hasn't been quite 2 weeks yet, so we'll see how our experience goes in a little bit...did you ask to speak to a supervisor?

Naturalization

Sorry about your SSN experience...it hasn't been quite 2 weeks yet, so we'll see how our experience goes in a little bit...did you ask to speak to a supervisor?

Unfortunately I was so mad that I didn't even THINK to ask for a supervisor. A friend of mine who immigrated here about 3 years ago keeps telling me that Phill can't get a SSN until he gets the resident card, so I'm guessing the rules have changed since then? I don't know, I don't think my friend knows what he's talking about. LOL

No, you can get one...trust me, if you couldn't get one, it would be big news here and all the people saying you could get one would get flamed :bonk:

:lol:

Also: remember that even though it seems like on VJ that K1s are huuuuge, Nich had pointed out that they really are a drop in the bucket compared to other visas.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

No, you can get one...trust me, if you couldn't get one, it would be big news here and all the people saying you could get one would get flamed :bonk:

:lol:

LOL! Well, I've just printed off the info in the guides here on VJ that states he can apply. I had taken the memo that was suggested and the lady looked at it and just handed it back to me! I was like OMG! I'm hoping we can go in on Thursday and this time I will be a lot more confident and demanding (in a nice way of course). :yes:

YES! use your big girl voice like you mean business :angry:

We are back from Boston! Went on the Freedom Trail...where David got to hear about his abusive home country :lol: ...he told me that when he learned about it in secondary school that he felt that the American colonists seemed a bit uppity...and that after hearing quite a bit more, he is more strong of his opinion :bonk: although on principle he says he might have agreed with the colonists.

Fun fact of the night: We dumped about $2 million in today's dollars worth of tea in the harbor (David was particularly upset to hear about all that wasted tea :luv:) way back when and in recent times Queen Elizabeth II was invited to one of our 4th of July celebrations. Apparently she went to the old statehouse where they did a lot of speeches during the American Revolution, we gave her a check for the money from the tea (in 1700s $$ worth, not today's $$), which she accepted and said something to the effect, "Now, if you would all ever like to be a part of my colonies again, I would have you." :rofl:

:ot2:

Oh wait...one other thing: we went to a Red Sox game at Fenway and my sister and David (huge fan) cheered them on while I naturally cheered for the opposing team (Phillies) since I am and will forever be a Mariner's fan. I received a lot of dirty looks and one slight shove from the former two mentioned who timed it at the same time during a particularly loud "WHOOOO!!!" at a strike-out of one of the gentlemen in red. I let him know that I would only cheer for the Red Sox if they were playing the Yankees...lesser of 2 evils, as I take it...

I still have my STAPLES copy card from the K1 application and I will put it to great use this week copying his passport pages, I-94, birth certificate, and goodness knows what else is listed under the ever omniscient Guides. Getting married on June 21st by a guy who says I speak way too fast on voice mail!!! :lol: also does not speak clear English, but as long as it's legal...we consider our wedding ceremony in September to be the "real" one for us anyway, even if this is the legal one.

Naturalization

Getting married on June 21st by a guy who says I speak way too fast on voice mail!!! :lol: also does not speak clear English, but as long as it's legal...we consider our wedding ceremony in September to be the "real" one for us anyway, even if this is the legal one.

Good luck for the 21st!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mmmkay. Phill and I went to the local Social Security office last Friday to apply for his SSN. Needless to say we didn't get anywhere.

That sucks! It's so frustrating how it's apparently so different everywhere. When we went to get an SSN in San Francisco, the woman just started working on our file right away. I'd warned my fiance they might not want to give him an SSN, so we brought the rules... at one point while she was filing my fiance said "we have your policy here, if that helps." The woman said "Honey, I know the rules!" :D Guess not everyone does.

That sucks! It's so frustrating how it's apparently so different everywhere. When we went to get an SSN in San Francisco, the woman just started working on our file right away. I'd warned my fiance they might not want to give him an SSN, so we brought the rules... at one point while she was filing my fiance said "we have your policy here, if that helps." The woman said "Honey, I know the rules!" :D Guess not everyone does.

I think it depends when in the process you try to get the SSN. If you try to get it once once the I94 has expired and during AOS then they don't want to do it. The rule of thumb seems to be: 2 weeks after arrival but no more than 2 weeks before the I94 expires. That is just what I've garnered from other threads about getting SSN.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think it depends when in the process you try to get the SSN.

Oh, for reference, we filed 19 days after POE (and we weren't in the SAVE-ASVI system yet), after marriage, after filing for AOS/EAD/AP, and way before the I-94 expires.

YES! use your big girl voice like you mean business :angry:

Definitely!!!

We are back from Boston! Went on the Freedom Trail...where David got to hear about his abusive home country :lol: ...he told me that when he learned about it in secondary school that he felt that the American colonists seemed a bit uppity...and that after hearing quite a bit more, he is more strong of his opinion :bonk: although on principle he says he might have agreed with the colonists.

LOL! Sounds like Phill, he loves to give me a hard time!

Fun fact of the night: We dumped about $2 million in today's dollars worth of tea in the harbor (David was particularly upset to hear about all that wasted tea :luv:) way back when and in recent times Queen Elizabeth II was invited to one of our 4th of July celebrations. Apparently she went to the old statehouse where they did a lot of speeches during the American Revolution, we gave her a check for the money from the tea (in 1700s $$ worth, not today's $$), which she accepted and said something to the effect, "Now, if you would all ever like to be a part of my colonies again, I would have you." :rofl:

I LOVE IT!! LOL! That is so cool, thanks for sharing!

Oh wait...one other thing: we went to a Red Sox game at Fenway and my sister and David (huge fan) cheered them on while I naturally cheered for the opposing team (Phillies) since I am and will forever be a Mariner's fan. I received a lot of dirty looks and one slight shove from the former two mentioned who timed it at the same time during a particularly loud "WHOOOO!!!" at a strike-out of one of the gentlemen in red. I let him know that I would only cheer for the Red Sox if they were playing the Yankees...lesser of 2 evils, as I take it...

LOL!

I still have my STAPLES copy card from the K1 application and I will put it to great use this week copying his passport pages, I-94, birth certificate, and goodness knows what else is listed under the ever omniscient Guides. Getting married on June 21st by a guy who says I speak way too fast on voice mail!!! :lol: also does not speak clear English, but as long as it's legal...we consider our wedding ceremony in September to be the "real" one for us anyway, even if this is the legal one.

Good luck and congrats! We feel the same way...we consider our wedding ceremony in November to be the real one.

It's good to know that some people know what to do!! It was so upsetting...

Oh, for reference, we filed 19 days after POE (and we weren't in the SAVE-ASVI system yet), after marriage, after filing for AOS/EAD/AP, and way before the I-94 expires.

Good to know that you applied after you guys got married. The woman we dealt with stated we definitely couldn't because we were married! #######?!?! She didn't even look at the date on his I-94. She just didn't want to deal with extra work is my guess.

When did you go to the SSO (in terms of after POE and marriage)? I went within the first two weeks of POE and was given a SSN just fine, because I was still "in-status" (my I-94 hadn't expired). But after I was married and applied for AOS, I went back to change my name and was told that they couldn't issue me anything because my I-94 had expired and I had no legal status until I had my GC. I asked if she meant my EAD (since they just need something that says you're legal here currently and are allowed to work) and she didn't know what I was talking about. So I went back once I had my GC to get everything worked out. I would suggest going back and asking for a supervisor (assuming you're still within your 90 days of the I-94).

As for the I-864, I think your mum fills out the 'A' form and then on your form (the I-864) you add in her income under the household. Someone confirm that, though - it's been a while since I looked at that.

Edited by Gemmie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.