QC2CO

Crossed the US border to visit

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just came back from a 3 day vist to Pennsylvania to visit my wife, who was down there to visit family.

I crossed the border at Prescott-Ogdensburg (NY) POE. They had me go inside since I had problems crossing the border 2 years ago, and I explained to them my situation of going through the K3/CR1 visa application and that all I have left was to wait for my interview date.

The agent was very very nice and knoledgeable. He knew all the steps that I was taking and etc... He said that people can cross to visit their spouse during the process, but I guess they have to believe that you are coming back to Canada. I provided a letter of employement, I brought all the paperwork for the VISA, and he knew that I wasn't going to geoperdize my chances of getting the visa by giving them the slip and staying in the US.

So it all went well. He also explained to me that the Employement Authorization form can be mailed and processed at the same time as the I-129F. I told him that I thought we had to wait to get the VISA before doing this since it requires the POE and the VISA #. He said that a lot of people don't know that it can still be processed without it. But that for me, at this point of the process, he recommended that I should just wait so that it doesn't throw a wrench in the whole thing and cause any more delays.

So if anyone wants to look into that, might be a time saver so that they can start to work as soon as possible after moving to the US.

I hope that this info will be usefull to someone.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sounds like you were well prepared, and lucky to get an official who understood the process. You probably looked like a nice Canadian fellow, too!

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Timeline
Sounds like you were well prepared, and lucky to get an official who understood the process. You probably looked like a nice Canadian fellow, too!

:) I must look innocent or something. hehe

Having my papers with me to prove that I was going through the process helped. He didn't look at them, but He was asking me questions about what steps I'm up to now and stuff.

Personally, I think that Ogdensburg is the best POE to enter in this area. They are always nice, friendly and informative, they are not stressed by having big lineups, since people will usualy go by Thousand Islands.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you SO much for this post!!! I was planning on using Thousand Islands as my POE when my K-1 gets approved and now after reading your post I'll definitely use Prescott. It's not a big time difference from Ottawa anyway and worth the detour. I'll also be looking at trying to apply for the EAD ahead of time too since you mentioned it!

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Timeline
Thank you SO much for this post!!! I was planning on using Thousand Islands as my POE when my K-1 gets approved and now after reading your post I'll definitely use Prescott. It's not a big time difference from Ottawa anyway and worth the detour. I'll also be looking at trying to apply for the EAD ahead of time too since you mentioned it!

:) Yeah, and its just down the 416. So if you have a problem or forget something and you have to go back, you are only 35 min away from Ottawa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.