Eric & Hang

Supporting evidence for K-1 petition

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Greetings to everyone on this forum from a first time poster! I find myself both nervous and excited as I begin the process that I hope will unite me with my fiancee here in the United States. I'm particularly appreciative for all of the good information posted here by "veterans" of the K-1 process.

I don't expect any major issues with our initial filing, but I gather that the big hurdle will be the determination by the consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. My primary question right now is whether and when we will have the opportunity to submit additional supporting material between the time of our initial I129-F filing and the actual interview.

I feel like this could be very important to our case. For example, we (actually her terrific family!) organized our Dinh Hon celebration on short notice after I proposed to her on my most recent visit to Vietnam in November, and none of my family could be in attendance. My parents are eager to meet her and her family but will not be able to travel until my father recovers from surgery scheduled for later this month. If they are able to go in the near future, I would hope to be able to get that evidence in front of the consular officer.

My current thought is to strive for a relatively short, well organized initial package, but this depends on whether we will indeed have a chance to provide a more complete and current set of evidence later that will be fully considered before she goes in for the interview.

Thanks much,

Eric

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Do some reading in the Asia: East & Pacific regional forum to learn about the HCMC experience.

There is no real opportunity to present evidence after the petition filing and the interview. There is a spirited debate on the value of front loading your petition. It's been recommended by one immigration attorney with a lot of HCMC experience.

During our petition phase the over riding advice to me was that the CO can only evaluate what is presented. If they have the evidence/information to consider prior to the actual interview, then the CO knows more of your story and the development of your relationship.

Plan on submitting a timeline of your relationship with the initial petition and then have an updated version at the interview.

Don't worry about your parents not attending the Dinh Hon. Having one is a good thing.

Welcome to VJ and the HCMC group.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
Greetings to everyone on this forum from a first time poster! I find myself both nervous and excited as I begin the process that I hope will unite me with my fiancee here in the United States. I'm particularly appreciative for all of the good information posted here by "veterans" of the K-1 process.

I don't expect any major issues with our initial filing, but I gather that the big hurdle will be the determination by the consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. My primary question right now is whether and when we will have the opportunity to submit additional supporting material between the time of our initial I129-F filing and the actual interview.

I feel like this could be very important to our case. For example, we (actually her terrific family!) organized our Dinh Hon celebration on short notice after I proposed to her on my most recent visit to Vietnam in November, and none of my family could be in attendance. My parents are eager to meet her and her family but will not be able to travel until my father recovers from surgery scheduled for later this month. If they are able to go in the near future, I would hope to be able to get that evidence in front of the consular officer.

My current thought is to strive for a relatively short, well organized initial package, but this depends on whether we will indeed have a chance to provide a more complete and current set of evidence later that will be fully considered before she goes in for the interview.

Thanks much,

Eric

Hi Eric,

At the interview stage you will have the opportunity to provide evidence of the ongoing relationship between you and your fiance. Good evidence will of course include photos of your you (with your family) visiting your fiacee's family- so photos are crucial. Also, provide documentation of your communications with her (phone records, IM conversation print-outs, skype print-outs, etc). Email copies and e-cards also are a good menthod to prove you and your fiancee are communicating.

Airline tickets, boarding passes, ATM receipts from her city are beneficial as are hotel receipts ad of course - copies of your passport stamped with entry and departure information from her home city.

I would highly recommend that you visit the section on interview questions. This area of VJ will prove helpful in preparing your fiance for the CO interview.

Best of luck to you and your bride!

Al

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Welcome to the group Eric. As Roger said, frontloading can be a real asset... When you are getting the initial filing together.. look at it from the big picture.. rather than just submitting what you need to get USCIS's approval (the minimum), submit a packet that addresses any issues that may be present in your case and make a clear case that you love each other and show that it is a bonafide relationship... by taking a few extra months in the front end getting everything in order.. one can save themselves possible years of heartache in the long run...

Go through the topics here and look to see what the Consulate will be looking for and see why others have been denied... this will give you a good idea of what to expect... think as if you are the CO that will be making the decision and keep in mind that they think everyone is a fraud until they prove otherwise...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Thanks for the replies! It's great that there is a community like this for sharing information.

It sounds like the best approach is to go ahead and put together a complete and current set of evidence now and then try our best to make sure that the CO is aware of important updates at the time of the interview.

Eric

Timeline

Thanks much,

Eric

Edited by james&nicole

May 29, 09, had attorney send I-129F to USCIS

June 3, 09, USCIS received I-129F

June 4, 09, USCIS I-797C, 1st NOA notice date.

Aug 28, 09, USCIS sends I-797E NOA. RFE requesting further evidence we have met within 2 years prior

Sept 3, 09, I sent updated RFE info to USCIS

Sept 8, 09 USCIS receives my info

Sept 11, 09 USCIS sends I-797C NOA--I-129F Petition approved, also forwards petition to NVC

Sept 23, 09 NVC receives approved I-129F from USCIS also forwards petition to consulate in HCMC

Dec 4, 09 Interview at HCMC Consulate, Blue slip, timeline, ex's address, medical results from Cho Ray

Jan 4, 10 Turned in timeline, ex,s address. White slip, 221(g) for lack of medical results. AP pending results.

Jan 4, 10 Cho Ray diagnosis--class A active multi drug resistant tb. Treatment time 18 to 24 months.

Jan 6, 10 I email consulate re: what do we do next, since K1 expires Jan 10, 10.

Jan 13, 10 Consulate replies--They have received all requested documents and the case is pending a CO review

Since the case is pending due to treatment of tb, the case is still active until treat-

ment is complete provided we contact the consulate every 6 months and notify

them she is under treatment to keep the file in open status.

Jan 14, 10 to July 2012 we wait.

July 2012, visa issued.

Aug 2012, Marriage in US.

Timeline

Eric, in our case after filing the initial 129f we got an RFE asking for proof of ongoing relationship three months later. I used it to submit evidence of two additional trips to VN and a brief update of our circumstances of meeting. Getting an RFE is not guaranteed so you can't bank on it but my attorney said it is not uncommon.

After reading many posts here I think the "frontloading" concept has merit. If I could do it all over again I would give them all the info I had at every opportunity. In my case they asked for a narrative/timeline of our relationship on three occasions. With the initial filing, with the RFE and again when we got the blue slip at the interview.

May 29, 09, had attorney send I-129F to USCIS

June 3, 09, USCIS received I-129F

June 4, 09, USCIS I-797C, 1st NOA notice date.

Aug 28, 09, USCIS sends I-797E NOA. RFE requesting further evidence we have met within 2 years prior

Sept 3, 09, I sent updated RFE info to USCIS

Sept 8, 09 USCIS receives my info

Sept 11, 09 USCIS sends I-797C NOA--I-129F Petition approved, also forwards petition to NVC

Sept 23, 09 NVC receives approved I-129F from USCIS also forwards petition to consulate in HCMC

Dec 4, 09 Interview at HCMC Consulate, Blue slip, timeline, ex's address, medical results from Cho Ray

Jan 4, 10 Turned in timeline, ex,s address. White slip, 221(g) for lack of medical results. AP pending results.

Jan 4, 10 Cho Ray diagnosis--class A active multi drug resistant tb. Treatment time 18 to 24 months.

Jan 6, 10 I email consulate re: what do we do next, since K1 expires Jan 10, 10.

Jan 13, 10 Consulate replies--They have received all requested documents and the case is pending a CO review

Since the case is pending due to treatment of tb, the case is still active until treat-

ment is complete provided we contact the consulate every 6 months and notify

them she is under treatment to keep the file in open status.

Jan 14, 10 to July 2012 we wait.

July 2012, visa issued.

Aug 2012, Marriage in US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.