Aklem

Question About Affidavit of Support

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

After a few months of frustration me and my husband(he is american and im canadian) decided to fill out our c-130 forms and try to get this going asap. Our first year anniversary was on December 18th and my husband feels like things aren't progressing as much as we'd like. Well I told him we will be together soon and to have patience and just to take things one step at a time, so we don't overwhelm ourselves. It seems to have worked so far since we are almost done with filing out all our forms.

The question I have concerns the minimum requirement of him to have 125 percent above the poverty line. The past two years he was above the poverty line and 3 years ago he did not make it. In the next tax returns he receives in March he will be able to show proof that he is above poverty line though.

We just want to know whether or not we need to get someone to fill out a affidavit for support for us; or will it be okay now since he is currently above the poverty line 125 percent?

Another thing do they need my tax returns too( me being the canadian) or do they only need my husbands?

Thanks in advance for reading my post and hope to get an answer :D

Married: 12/18/08

Sent I-130: 01/30/10

NOA1: 02/05/10

Touch: 02/09/10

NOA2: 03/24/10

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Doesn't matter that he didn't meet the income requirements three years ago. Since he meets them already since two years, you are fine.

That means, you don't need a co-sponsor. Of course it never hurts, to have one. But my wife also meets the income requirements

and we didn't have a co-sponsor and that was not a problem.

They don't need your tax returns, only your husband's.

Tips on the Affidavit of Support

CR-1 Journey

09-08-2008: Married

11-20-2008: I-130 sent to Chicago

02-24-2009: I-130 approved

10-29-2009: Case completed at NVC

11-24-2009: Medical exam in Munich

12-16-2009: Interview in Frankfurt : Approved

12-22-2009: Visa received

02-11-2010: POE: Atlanta

ROC

11-17-2011: Filed for removal of conditions

11-21-2011: NOA1

02-07-2012: Biometrics appointment

09-04-2012: I-797: Approved

09-18-2012: Card received

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

- Jack Handey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.