Ryan1

citizen of 2 countries, list both?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Question about n-400 natualization based on marriage to US citizen.

Our confusion is about question on n-400 - Part 3 E - country of nationality. My wife is dual citizen (cuba/russia), soon to be tri-citizen I guess

Anyway, on all of the other forms previously submitted to USCIS (751, k-1, etc), we put my wife's country of birth - Cuba as country of citizenship.

This is where her 'ties' are as well.

However, my wife is also citizen of Russia (and has valid passport). She hasn't been back in over 15 years, has no ties to Russia, but anyway, remains a citizen there too.

So, on the Part 3 E. for n-400 , I am tempted to put just Cuba as country of nationality (so as not to start confusion , since we didn't list russia anytime before) ,

OR should we put Cuba and Russia? We don't really care what US certificate says, we just want to be consistent and correct and not cofuse anything at this point.

Furthermore, the actual wording of the intructions for Part 3 E. on the N-400 is confusing in itsefl. In the instructions for 'country of nationality' , USCIS says list country (countries) of nationality, but then in a note (2) that follows it: IT READS: "if you are citizen or national of more than one country, write the name of the country that issued last passport". So, i should just write Cuba then?

I am tempted just to write cuba, and then tell the officer during the interview that also citizen of Russia, if that matters?

thanks for any advise! :)

Removal of conditions

11/11/08 : sent to VSC for removal of conditions for GC

11/25/08: receipt and letter of extention recevied (check cashed too).

12/12/08: Biometrics done at local office.

now the long wait for VSC

04/13/09: got 10 year green card.)

I-129F, K-1

09/26/2005 Sent I-129F to VSC via USPS express mail

09/27/2005 NOA1

10/24/2005 NOA2 APPROVED!

11/02/2005 Received letter from the approved application will be forwarded to US Interest Section within one week!

11/15/2005 Fiance Picked up "superpacket" at US consuate

11/17/2005 Scheduled Medical exam

12/06/2005 Requested interview via website; Interest Section (consulate) sets interview for May 15, 2006???

12/07/2005 Medical exam

12/27/2005 Medical exam results received by fiance

02/15/2006 Still waiting for interview 3 more months

05/15/2006 interview with US interest section, approved

05/16/2006 fiancee picked up US fiancee visa!!!!!!!!

05/17/2006 Submitted correct paperwork to cuban immigration for exit permission "permiso de salir" (they say 15 days to get it)

06/10/06 Still waiting, no information

06/13/06 she recieved carta blanca!

06/15/06 She arrives via Miami!!!

07/21/06 Married

AOS/EAD

07/19/2006 Received SSN card (maiden name, now we'll have to go back and get name change)

07/31/06 Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

08/11/2006 NOA1 for AOS (485) and EAD

08/26/2006 Biometrics done.

10/06/2006 EAD arrives

03/01/07 still waiting to hear something for AOS

03/19/07 : email, case sent to CSC

04/07: got it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Furthermore, the actual wording of the intructions for Part 3 E. on the N-400 is confusing in itsefl. In the instructions for 'country of nationality' , USCIS says list country (countries) of nationality, but then in a note (2) that follows it: IT READS: "if you are citizen or national of more than one country, write the name of the country that issued last passport". So, i should just write Cuba then?

Since the instruction say to list the country that last issued the passport, I would just follow that rule. If during interview they ask if she is also a citizen of another country, she can then say "Russia". If asked why didn't include in the application, she can say she followed instruction which says to include the country that last issued the passport.

Edit:

Has she renewed her Russian passport recently? Is indeed the Cuban passport the one that was last issued/renewed?

Edited by NycBra

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

good question. Actually, just by coincidence, she is in process of renewing her Russian passport. She hasn't gotten the valid one back yet, and probably she won't for another 2 months since its a bureaucratic wait.

So technically , as of the day we sign the n-400 and send it in (this week), she is with expired Russian passport and valid Cuban passport. All ties are in Cuba, which is her country of birth and the country of citizenship we've been using, since that's where she originally got her K-1.

I may call the 800 number tomorrow, but I doubt there will clarify much. I don't think its a huge deal either way, but I just don't want to put Cuba and Russia on the n-400, and then we have red flags go up, since we had only put Cuba on the forms up until this point (mainly b/c the other forms were unclear about country of citizenship(S))). IE , she got her green card just lising Cuba as country as birth/citizenship.

Removal of conditions

11/11/08 : sent to VSC for removal of conditions for GC

11/25/08: receipt and letter of extention recevied (check cashed too).

12/12/08: Biometrics done at local office.

now the long wait for VSC

04/13/09: got 10 year green card.)

I-129F, K-1

09/26/2005 Sent I-129F to VSC via USPS express mail

09/27/2005 NOA1

10/24/2005 NOA2 APPROVED!

11/02/2005 Received letter from the approved application will be forwarded to US Interest Section within one week!

11/15/2005 Fiance Picked up "superpacket" at US consuate

11/17/2005 Scheduled Medical exam

12/06/2005 Requested interview via website; Interest Section (consulate) sets interview for May 15, 2006???

12/07/2005 Medical exam

12/27/2005 Medical exam results received by fiance

02/15/2006 Still waiting for interview 3 more months

05/15/2006 interview with US interest section, approved

05/16/2006 fiancee picked up US fiancee visa!!!!!!!!

05/17/2006 Submitted correct paperwork to cuban immigration for exit permission "permiso de salir" (they say 15 days to get it)

06/10/06 Still waiting, no information

06/13/06 she recieved carta blanca!

06/15/06 She arrives via Miami!!!

07/21/06 Married

AOS/EAD

07/19/2006 Received SSN card (maiden name, now we'll have to go back and get name change)

07/31/06 Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

08/11/2006 NOA1 for AOS (485) and EAD

08/26/2006 Biometrics done.

10/06/2006 EAD arrives

03/01/07 still waiting to hear something for AOS

03/19/07 : email, case sent to CSC

04/07: got it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Ryan1,

Likewise, I had a similar problem too....

I have a birth country, and I have another country of citizenship.

So when I filled out my forms..truthfully, I always put...

Country of birth: other country, Country of nationality/citizenship: Canada

I admit, I hated the fact that my green card and other documents have my birth country on it, as I have no connections to such anymore, and have not been there since I was born. I have lost citizenship to that birth country, and the only citizenship that I have is Canadian and my passport is Canadian.

So for the N-400, I answered it the same way....

But..I also enclosed an extra note/letter, plus proof of my Canadian citizenship, and explained my situation accordingly...

I basically said to them "My country of birth is (insert country name here), But my former country of Citizenship/Nationality is Canada. I would like my naturalization certificate to say "Canada" on it, as "I am Canadian"!. Any other country listed on my naturalization certificate is an error, and if this is the case, I would like a new certificate with "Canada" as my former country of citizenship, at no additional costs..."

Needless to say, my citizenship certificate says "Former country of citizenship: Canada"...which I am happy about...

Lol...So for you, and for anyone else in this situation, it boils down to:

What would you like listed on your naturalization certificate as "former country of citizenship".

In your case, Ryan1, I would just say "Cuba" for country of birth since your wife was born in Cuba, and "Cuba" for country of nationality, since your wife is a national of that country, and travels with that country's passport.

And then provide an extra note/letter explaining your situation about her Russian citizenship, like you did here....

It is better to tell the truth about this than to lie/conseal the fact of another country of citizenship, as that can be used against you if you lie to an immigration officer. So yes, say "Cuba", bring your Cuban passport to the interview, but also bring the Russian passport and explain accordingly about this citizenship.

Hope this helps too. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey, and soon to be tri-citizen.

Ant

P.S. You might also have to inquire with Cuba and Russia, as for what happens to those countries' citizenship status when she becomes an American citizen. Some countries allow you to keep dual/triple citizenship, and some don't...So you have to be careful there, especially when travelling....

Hi,

Question about n-400 natualization based on marriage to US citizen.

Our confusion is about question on n-400 - Part 3 E - country of nationality. My wife is dual citizen (cuba/russia), soon to be tri-citizen I guess

Anyway, on all of the other forms previously submitted to USCIS (751, k-1, etc), we put my wife's country of birth - Cuba as country of citizenship.

This is where her 'ties' are as well.

However, my wife is also citizen of Russia (and has valid passport). She hasn't been back in over 15 years, has no ties to Russia, but anyway, remains a citizen there too.

So, on the Part 3 E. for n-400 , I am tempted to put just Cuba as country of nationality (so as not to start confusion , since we didn't list russia anytime before) ,

OR should we put Cuba and Russia? We don't really care what US certificate says, we just want to be consistent and correct and not cofuse anything at this point.

I am tempted just to write cuba, and then tell the officer during the interview that also citizen of Russia, if that matters?

thanks for any advise! :)

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Ryan1,

Likewise, I had a similar problem too....

I have a birth country, and I have another country of citizenship.

So when I filled out my forms..truthfully, I always put...

Country of birth: other country, Country of nationality/citizenship: Canada

I admit, I hated the fact that my green card and other documents have my birth country on it, as I have no connections to such anymore, and have not been there since I was born. I have lost citizenship to that birth country, and the only citizenship that I have is Canadian and my passport is Canadian.

So for the N-400, I answered it the same way....

But..I also enclosed an extra note/letter, plus proof of my Canadian citizenship, and explained my situation accordingly...

I basically said to them "My country of birth is (insert country name here), But my former country of Citizenship/Nationality is Canada. I would like my naturalization certificate to say "Canada" on it, as "I am Canadian"!. Any other country listed on my naturalization certificate is an error, and if this is the case, I would like a new certificate with "Canada" as my former country of citizenship, at no additional costs..."

Needless to say, my citizenship certificate says "Former country of citizenship: Canada"...which I am happy about...

Lol...So for you, and for anyone else in this situation, it boils down to:

What would you like listed on your naturalization certificate as "former country of citizenship".

In your case, Ryan1, I would just say "Cuba" for country of birth since your wife was born in Cuba, and "Cuba" for country of nationality, since your wife is a national of that country, and travels with that country's passport.

And then provide an extra note/letter explaining your situation about her Russian citizenship, like you did here....

It is better to tell the truth about this than to lie/conseal the fact of another country of citizenship, as that can be used against you if you lie to an immigration officer. So yes, say "Cuba", bring your Cuban passport to the interview, but also bring the Russian passport and explain accordingly about this citizenship.

Hope this helps too. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey, and soon to be tri-citizen.

Ant

P.S. You might also have to inquire with Cuba and Russia, as for what happens to those countries' citizenship status when she becomes an American citizen. Some countries allow you to keep dual/triple citizenship, and some don't...So you have to be careful there, especially when travelling....

if the question says "if you are citizen or national of more than one country, write the name of the country that issued last passport" why he should mention russian passport also? He is not lieing, he is only answering the question.

Question does not say "list all of countries you are citizen of".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.