Kevin-

Please Answer Quick! Already in Philippines, need to get US Dollars

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We're on Mindanao right now, going back to Manila tomorrow for more SLEC nonsense. The place we're probably going to stay does it's prices in US Dollars. They charge a higher than normal rate to exchange if paying with pesos, results in a price increase of 10% or more. That part feels scam-ish, but the rest of the operation is great, already stayed there this month.

Is there an easy way to withdraw USD from an ATM or something without a big fee or poor rate? Or if I want to exchange my pesos back to dollars where can I go and how is the rate? I did my exchange in the international terminal when I arrived for the expected rate, but I'm not sure about the best way to do this the other way around without being able to enter the international terminal.

Thanks for quick replies!

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Timeline
We're on Mindanao right now, going back to Manila tomorrow for more SLEC nonsense. The place we're probably going to stay does it's prices in US Dollars. They charge a higher than normal rate to exchange if paying with pesos, results in a price increase of 10% or more. That part feels scam-ish, but the rest of the operation is great, already stayed there this month.

Is there an easy way to withdraw USD from an ATM or something without a big fee or poor rate? Or if I want to exchange my pesos back to dollars where can I go and how is the rate? I did my exchange in the international terminal when I arrived for the expected rate, but I'm not sure about the best way to do this the other way around without being able to enter the international terminal.

you could try to go to SM Mega mall they have exchange place there. IF all else fails try a bank :)

I do not have much to add to that

Hmm that's why I just paid for my hotel online...I also used my debit card in manila...is that not an option?

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

Can't pay for it online. It's a condo rental in a nice building with a balcony and view of manila bay. Fraction of the price of a hotel with the same view. Also we can cook if we want. Drawback is no fancy online booking system.

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Ahh and you cant pay with your debit card either right? I need to find me a place like that.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline
Can't pay for it online. It's a condo rental in a nice building with a balcony and view of manila bay. Fraction of the price of a hotel with the same view. Also we can cook if we want. Drawback is no fancy online booking system.

Go to Sanrys Money Changer in Greenbelt 1 in Manila...they have the best rates Pesos to USD's.....

October 5, 2009-Overnight by FEDEX K-1 Package

October 7, 2009-Overnight by FEDEX Delivered 11:00 AM

October 7, 2009-NOA1 mailed by USCIS

October 10, 2009-NOA1 received.

December 2, 2009-NOA 2 approved.

March 15, 2010 Interview Passed

March 20, Visa Delivered.

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.”

If your condo is close to Ermita, there are dozens of money changers there. My personal favorite is Edzen, but there are so many there, and most have the dollar/Peso rate in the window . It changes every time the runner does a bank run. Going pesos to dollars is obviously not going to get you that rate, but its a pointer to how small a margin the shop is taking. In my experience it is a better rate by far than the banks will give you, and certainly much better than the rate you get at the air terminal.

If you are in Makati, my preference is to go to Burgos/MakatiAve (yes, the red light district...), the changers there tend to give a tad better than the places where the rich folks go to shop (Greenbelt/Glorietta).

In the end though its pretty much down to chance. Make sure to count your money before you leave the shop. In 5 years of changing, I have only been ripped off one time and it was fixed immediately I caught it inside the shop.

02/20/09 Met Juliet in Nirvana (Pasay)

03/01/09 Long weekend in Batangas

03/09/09 Dave returns to the USA

06/22/09 Dave returns to Manila

06/30/09 Juliet learned to SCUBA Dive in Sabang

07/11/09 Visit Laguna with Juliet and her son Justin

08/19/09 Long weekend in Baguio

09/09/09 Fly to Bohol

09/24/09 Family trip to Sabang

10/18/09 Dave returns to the USA

04/01/10 Dave moves to UK

11/19/10 Juliet and Justin move to UK

06/16/14 Juliet and Justin become British Citizens

11/16/16 NOA1

01/17/17 NOA2

01/19/17 Packet 3 Rcvd

03/16/17 Interview (placed on hold pending additional info)

03/27/17 Submitted requested info

04/03/17 Received Visas

06/17/17 Sold House and cars

06/19/17 Arrived in Phoenix AZ

In Manila there are many places like Robinson's Mall Manila, SM and banks as previously mentioned, and wife wife says there is a money exchange outside SLEC.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Is there an easy way to withdraw USD from an ATM

yes, u can withdraw peso money from ur ATM card just go to any commercial banks and u can get peso money, but u will be charge for it... the bank will change ur money automatically to what is the latest exchage rate in dollars to peso... good to exchange in the morning bcoz if its in the afternoon the rate falls down... or if u have already a dollar in ur hands there are lots of booths in the sm mall to exchange ur dollars to peso...

or something without a big fee or poor rate? Or if I want to exchange my pesos back to dollars where can I go and how is the rate? I did my exchange in the international terminal when I arrived for the expected rate, but I'm not sure about the best way to do this the other way around without being able to enter the international terminal.

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Is there an easy way to withdraw USD from an ATM or something without a big fee or poor rate?

Or if I want to exchange my pesos back to dollars where can I go and how is the rate?

uhmmm about this Q, yes u can exchage ur peso money to dollars again, u go to western union and u can buy dollars there, dont think u will be given dollars in a commercial bank, bcoz what i know is that only their clients can buy dollars from them... and i am not sure with this but i think is that u can buy dollars always lower to what is the latest dollar rate.. maybe someone can correct me if i am wrong with that hehehe...

I did my exchange in the international terminal when I arrived for the expected rate, but I'm not sure about the best way to do this the other way around without being able to enter the international terminal.

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can change your peso back to USD but I think the rate will be higher than normal.

Edited by loveaboo

You can change your peso back to USD but I think the rate will be higher than normal.

What I always do in the Phils is use Xoom. Go to the internet cafe with my wife and send it to my wife. She picks the money up at BDO or if it's a small amount, at the pawnshop. I'm right there, and we don't have to worry about ATM fees etc. Because every time you withdraw there are huge fees. :thumbs:

What I always do in the Phils is use Xoom. Go to the internet cafe with my wife and send it to my wife. She picks the money up at BDO or if it's a small amount, at the pawnshop. I'm right there, and we don't have to worry about ATM fees etc. Because every time you withdraw there are huge fees. :thumbs:

Sorry for the double reply-- I meant to also add that you can send dollars or pisos via Xoom.

Timeline
If your condo is close to Ermita, there are dozens of money changers there. My personal favorite is Edzen, but there are so many there, and most have the dollar/Peso rate in the window . It changes every time the runner does a bank run. Going pesos to dollars is obviously not going to get you that rate, but its a pointer to how small a margin the shop is taking. In my experience it is a better rate by far than the banks will give you, and certainly much better than the rate you get at the air terminal.

If you are in Makati, my preference is to go to Burgos/MakatiAve (yes, the red light district...), the changers there tend to give a tad better than the places where the rich folks go to shop (Greenbelt/Glorietta).

In the end though its pretty much down to chance. Make sure to count your money before you leave the shop. In 5 years of changing, I have only been ripped off one time and it was fixed immediately I caught it inside the shop.

You can call your credit card company and tell them you are abroad and you need to use the card while you are out of the country and they will usually charge something like 1% of the total charged. They will activate the international pruchasing ability usually immediately. Then you shouldn't have any problems.

Eagerly Awaiting My Prince!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.